Radeon HD 7850 Minecraft FPS Problem

angelsklutch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I just bought my new GPU and PSU today. Minecraft, at first glance, was running great. All up until now, where I will randomly drop to 0 FPS for no more than a second or two (it seems to be only when I'm jumping?). Now, worried the card might not be what I thought it was, I fired up Battlefield 3, but even on Ultra I get an extremely playable FPS count, no lag, no problems. I've Google'd around to no avail, looking for a solution to my Minecraft FPS problem. I have the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Overclocked Edition (GV-R785OC-2GD), if that helps. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

Minecraft is a Java based game and is more CPU bound I believe. What are the rest of your specs?

Slotter

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Its nothing to do with your GPU. Java probably isn't using enough RAM to actually run Minecraft. I had this problem to until I found out about this thread, so I would give this a try. http://muttsworldmine.com/forums/topic/136-allocate-more-memory-to-minecraft/

angelsklutch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Slotter, Thanks for the reply and I will try this and will post back if it works. :p anort3, do you only need CPU and RAM? If so here:
AMD FX-4100 @ 3.6Ghz
Kingston HyperX 8GB @ 1600mhz
I'm pretty sure those are right, I can't quite remember for sure.

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
honestly minecraft has a lot of problems

Have you tried using the optifine mod? It was originally meant to increase fps for low powered machine, but it still helps a lot with high powered rigs (and it gives you tons of options to customize).

angelsklutch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

I haven't- with this graphics card. I've tried on other computers and cards, and didn't help much if at all. Regardless, my brand-new, three hundred dollar graphics card shouldn't be glitching up and getting only an average of 70FPS, on "max settings". My old card, the 6970 ( I was wrong here, I had the 6670, not the 6970. Typo, my bad!), I believe, got very similar FPS. I saw it at the store I bought my new card today for something like $34.99.