Sign in with
Your question

New Alienware m18x dead by cheap plastic HDD retaining clip

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2013 8:41:40 PM

Hello,
I recently purchased/recieved a DOA Alienware m18xR2(factory sealed), found HDD plastic retaining missing and rattling around inside the laptop. On 1/10/13, Dell/Alienware tech support informed they do not sell this part but recommended replacing the motherboard for a new simple broken plastic clip. Also/more importantly, this broken plastic clip is not covered under my warranty and I would need to purchase this on my own. Looks like a computer parts scam to me. Wondering if there is anyway this forum can advise/warn anyone looking to purchase one of these laptops?

Also, one needs to know if you buy one where the part is not broke and plan to add a SSD drive, upgrade graphics card, processor or memory there is that chance you could break this part and have no way to replace it short of a new motherboard from Dell/Alienware.
January 11, 2013 10:26:09 PM

I got a m14x which crashed on my first boot sob :'(  spend all my pocket money on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sob :'( 
m
l
January 11, 2013 10:28:54 PM

somebody help i am not as fortunate as you are to get an m18x i ain't rich and i SPEND all of my pocket money on the m14x sob :'( 
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:17:48 PM

If it was Doa I would just tell support that it was Doa and rma it back. Don't tell them anything more. Let them figure it out.
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:53:17 PM

Really! Its dead on first boot and you want to fix it? Send that crap back and get a working one. This goes for both of you with problems.
m
l
February 12, 2013 10:01:00 AM

Thanks send it back got it replaced by a new one. Alienware also gave me a special mouse pad as a consolation for the crash on forst boot. THANKS INFINITE TIMES TO BOTH OF YOU WHO HELPED ME! :) 
m
l
!