hi. I recently reinstalled my windows 7 professional. However since, it was an upgradable version, i had to install windows xp before installing windows 7. Now, before windows 7 boots up, the boot manager always asks me whether i want to start windows 7 or the previous version. How can i get rid of this option so it starts windows 7 automatically?
(1) You do not have to have the "XP" installed on the computer to use the Upgrade version of windows 7 - What is REQUIRED is that you have a valid XP lic for that computer.
To do a clean install:
1) Insert install disk and select CUSTOM install. Do not input Key when propted.
2) when install is completed. Allow windows to do it's updates, install all drivers needed, and load your programs.
3) perform a registry edit and run a dos cmd (have to relook up)
4) check system out to insure it is stable and no windows/driver problems.
5) Activate enter your Key at this time.
Added From step3:
from start enter regedit.
Do a search for MediaBootInstall and change the value from 1 to 0 and exit.
Open a cmd window with ADMIN privilge. Right click Cmd and select run as admin OR
"To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator."
From the cmd prompt enter "slmgr /rearm" and press enter
PS This is what you would have to do a year from now and you had used that XP installation disk as a frizbe for your dog.