Sign in with
Your question

Display flickers, goes black, and comes backup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2012 1:38:19 AM

Hello,
I would appreciate any advice how I can determine what is causing display issues on my new home built system. I have researched the threads but not found anything that matches my issue.
The display is doing two things. One is that it blinks so quickly that it it seems like the signal is being totally blocked. This will happen several times in one sit down session. It is not like a flickering from a problematic refresh rate. The other related issue is that once or twice during a session the display goes black for one or two seconds then it comes right back on.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose the problem? Is it power supply, graphics card, LCD, ???

Thanks
Tom in Austin

ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
i5-3570K
ASUS PA246Q LCD
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
Corsair TX750M psu
Ripjaws 8 GB 1333 SDRAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Cooler Master HAF 922 case
(no oc yet until video issue resolved)

a c 200 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 2:13:05 AM

hello tom and welcom to to forum..i would first check the bios rev of your mb to see if it up to date.. there been a a few bios updates to the new x77 chipset mb from asus. if your mb has the stock bios....power it off after you download the next bios. (do them in order from 0901...10xx..12xx.. and rename the flash file onto a fat formated usb stick. use the usb flash back button on the back of the mb. after it done power back up go into the bios hit f5 for factory default...save and exit...boot into windows then redoo till done.. if the mb wont shut off after the last bios is done pull the plug and clear the cmos it a known issue with asus and flashing some of there mb and bios. when the 120x bios is on see if the issue is still there. if it is go into the bios and under ai settings use the xmp profile to get you ram running at the max speed it rated for. then go in an set the video card as the first video device and turn off onboard/mvp chipset. if you loaded the mvp software uninstall it it garbage and is very buggy.
when you get back into windows make sure you loaded the newest intel chipset drivers and the intel ssd drivers from intel web page the one on the cd are old. also download the newest ati video driver.
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:42:23 AM

Thank you for the assistance smorizio - sorry that it took so long to get back with an update.
I tried adjusting the video display resolution down a couple of notches on the ASUS PA246Q LCD and so far that has seemed to make the difference.
I will go ahead and try the bios update in a couple of days as well.

m
l
!