Thecrazygame13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
So a friend of mine wants to get BF3, but idk if his pc can run it with this old hardware... what would he need to do to play the game on this hardware?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GhZ
3 GB DDR2 Ram
8500 GT Nvidia
Windows Vista Home 32 bit
1440x900 resolution

So what can he do to play BF3?

He just wants to play the game, he could care less for eye candy, all that nice stuff in game.

Solution
The DDR2 is a problem but their isn't much you can do about it really.Getting new RAM means upgrading the whole thing.Since DDR3 RAM will require a new motherboard and thus a new CPU.As I understand it all your friend really wants to do is play the game.Really all that PC needs in order to play BF3 is a new GPU.With a 7850 your friend should be able to play on high settings depending on what his tolerance is for frame rates.

Thecrazygame13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

My friend can spend anywhere from 100-200 bucks, maybe even more if he is required to.

As for the PSU, I'll see when he gets back.

Definitely want to check on the PSU because that's the basis for how powerful a card he can get.As for the budget he could go as high as a 7850.Anything beyond that would start to get bottlenecked by the CPU.

Really good deal on this card right now.One of the best 7850's on the market too.And at that price he can still get a decent PSU if needed.

MSI Twin Frozr III 7850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663

Thecrazygame13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

But he has DDR2 Ram, I thought theres something about DDR2 Ram and gpu and cpu together?

Sorry Im learning tech still as we speak...

The DDR2 is a problem but their isn't much you can do about it really.Getting new RAM means upgrading the whole thing.Since DDR3 RAM will require a new motherboard and thus a new CPU.As I understand it all your friend really wants to do is play the game.Really all that PC needs in order to play BF3 is a new GPU.With a 7850 your friend should be able to play on high settings depending on what his tolerance is for frame rates.

Solution

Thecrazygame13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Best Answer, Like I said he could care less for the way it looks he just wants to play the game, I'll see if he needs a PSU upgrade too...

Thanks for your help.