Advice on a video-editing build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 11:33:54 AM

Ahoy-hoy,

Looking to build from the components at the bottom but want to check I've chosen reasonably wisely. Think I've used the sticky pro forma correctly.

Am open to all suggestions - please point out any superior, alternative components; system boosts; lower prices; more reputable suppliers; general oversights; and n00b config errors!

Cheers.

--------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: within a month
Budget Range: approx £800 but up to £1,000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: video editing (Vegas Pro 11 64Bit) graphic design (Adobe CS5.5/6)
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Overclockers/BT Business Direct/Amazon (based on price only)
Parts Preferences: none, but Intel seems a primary option
Overclocking: No - faster the clock, shorter the life, yes?
SLI or Crossfire: No - will this benefit me?
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050
Additional Comments: Sony Vegas Pro 11 64Bit, Adobe CS 5.5/6, Lightroom 3.4
Why Are You Upgrading: using a Fujitsu laptop for everything (including editing) but need a dedicated, powerful, offline desktop PC to edit and design.

----------

Spec:

(Already got a 1TB 7200rpm SATA drive; 2 x 250GB 7200rpm SATA drives; Windows 7 HP 64Bit, Monitor/KB/Mouse)

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket 1155 Processor - Retail
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i7-3770K-3-50G...

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU Cooler (Socket 775/115/1156/1366/AMD AM2/AM3/AM3+)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz C11 Dual Channel Memory Kit
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

KFA2 GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

OnBoard Sound Card

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W V2 High Performance 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/corsair-memory-tx650-v2...

More about : advice video editing build

August 28, 2012 1:01:52 PM

Looks good I think. If you haven't already, check out:

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY%2bSystems.aspx

I stuck fairly closely to one of their builds and was very pleased with the results.

I also have the GTX570 and my render times are plenty quick on Premiere Pro CS6 without SLI, but then again of course, I'm not sure how much quicker they might be with it.

As far as overclocking goes, I personally wish I bought a better cooler so I could get even a very mild overclock on my CPU. With render times up to 20% faster, it seems a bit of waste not to tap that potential. I can't verify for sure, but from what I've read, as long as you keep your temperatures at a safe steady level, a mild overclock doesn't hurt the CPU lifespan.
August 28, 2012 1:26:58 PM

Thanks - I'll check out the Video Guys. Seems to remember their rigs were about £2K+, though!

As for overclocking, if mild (10% 20%?) is ok, I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

rallymcwilliams said:
Looks good I think. If you haven't already, check out:

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY%2bSystems.aspx

I stuck fairly closely to one of their builds and was very pleased with the results.

I also have the GTX570 and my render times are plenty quick on Premiere Pro CS6 without SLI, but then again of course, I'm not sure how much quicker they might be with it.

As far as overclocking goes, I personally wish I bought a better cooler so I could get even a very mild overclock on my CPU. With render times up to 20% faster, it seems a bit of waste not to tap that potential. I can't verify for sure, but from what I've read, as long as you keep your temperatures at a safe steady level, a mild overclock doesn't hurt the CPU lifespan.

Related resources
August 29, 2012 7:59:00 AM

Thanks for that info, mate.

Just to check I understand you, are you saying your suggested components will be an improvement on the ones I shortlisted? I'd read Intel is outperforming AMD, hence my choices. I'm also aware of Vegas' GPU acceleration but, again, believed Intel was the winning partner there, hence the i7.

Have I got that wrong?

Ta.

Wisecracker said:
AMD FX-8120 Black Edition: £134.99 inc VAT

Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X: £99.98 inc VAT

AMD FirePro V5900: £356.38 Inc VAT

You could go with the AMD FirePro V4900 (£129.58 Inc VAT) if you wish to save up for a GCN arch card.

Benchmarking Sony Vegas Pro 11 using GPU on FirePro

Quote:
Vegas Pro 11 is designed to take advantage of GPU acceleration for video FX, transitions, compositing, pan/crop, track motion and encoding...

http://fireuser.com/images/uploads/sony-vegas-render-times.png

August 29, 2012 1:42:00 PM

In multi-threaded environments such as Vegas, AMD is fine, and quite competitive.

Your timing is actually quite good. You are catching Bulldozer after the new price smell has worn off -- right before the introduction of Piledriver cores on AM3+ this Fall. When you are ready for a *refresh* in a year or so, Piledriver AM3+ will be on fire-sale when Steamroller hits the market next Fall.

The BIG question is on the GPU. I would tend toward the V4900, and ride-out the introduction of 'Sea Islands' in early 2013. This will drive down the prices of the GCN pro cards that were just introduced.

The V4900 is also <75w and doesn't require aux power, so you may be able to save £20 or so on a different PSU.

If you are looking to also 'game' you've got quite a conundrum. A gaming card will lose some of the pro card functionality because of workstation application accelerators and overall GPGPU compute (though the HD7XXX gaming cards are quite proficient in OpenCL/GL).

edit: I fergit ....

saved cash equals SSD for your OS and applications!

August 29, 2012 5:37:43 PM

Gordon Bennett - you clearly knows shedloads more than me about hardware!

Ok, so you think AMD will be better than my original spec? I ask because your suggestions are £60 more. It's negligible overall, but I am penny-pinching. :) 

I'm not gaming, so no worries there.

Recommendation for a different PSU? I'm not au fait with their spec, so couldn't estimate another model.

I'm sure an SSD would be a delight but I've got to save where I can. Cheaper the better!

One last thing - is 16GB RAM overkill? A lot of people seem to think 8 is plenty but I'm told Win 7 64Bit will address up to 192. Opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Wisecracker said:
In multi-threaded environments such as Vegas, AMD is fine, and quite competitive.

Your timing is actually quite good. You are catching Bulldozer after the new price smell has worn off -- right before the introduction of Piledriver cores on AM3+ this Fall. When you are ready for a *refresh* in a year or so, Piledriver AM3+ will be on fire-sale when Steamroller hits the market next Fall.

The BIG question is on the GPU. I would tend toward the V4900, and ride-out the introduction of 'Sea Islands' in early 2013. This will drive down the prices of the GCN pro cards that were just introduced.

The V4900 is also <75w and doesn't require aux power, so you may be able to save £20 or so on a different PSU.

If you are looking to also 'game' you've got quite a conundrum. A gaming card will lose some of the pro card functionality because of workstation application accelerators and overall GPGPU compute (though the HD7XXX gaming cards are quite proficient in OpenCL/GL).

edit: I fergit ....

saved cash equals SSD for your OS and applications!

August 30, 2012 2:19:28 PM

The Asus M5A97 PRO AMD 970 AM3+ Motherboard at £84 inc VAT will save yah some money.

With the FirePro V4900 and FX-8120, that's around £350. Your original build is nearly £200 more. The V5900 would provide a nice boost but it's likely not worth £200 over the V4900 when watching your budget (or buying your tight chums rounds of Guinness!).

As far as your RAMs, there is a point of diminishing return. Going with 8GB is just plain dandy. The Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz at £60 inc VAT has better timings and will save yah another £40. I'd have to check, but I believe it is qualified for the Asus M5A97 motherboard.

The Corsair TX650 is a quality power supply with a great warranty. If you are not gaming it is a bit over-sized but in the 'big picture' the PSU is never a place to cut corners to save £15.

I do have a bit of the Scot in me . . . . :lol: 

August 31, 2012 12:34:30 PM

Ok, so based on your suggestions, the build looks like this:

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black £44.99
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W V2 High Performance 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply £66.99
Asus M5A97 PRO AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard £83.99
AMD FX-8120 Black Edition £135.00
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU Cooler £42.98
AMD FirePro V4900 £129.57
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz £59.99

£563.51

It's £230 cheaper than my original build. How does compare in terms of power (playback and render times)? I'm happy to spend the £800 if necessary but only if I'm future-proofing (yes, I know) or gaining markedly in, say, storage or performance...

Again, thanks for your input.

Wisecracker said:
The Asus M5A97 PRO AMD 970 AM3+ Motherboard at £84 inc VAT will save yah some money.

With the FirePro V4900 and FX-8120, that's around £350. Your original build is nearly £200 more. The V5900 would provide a nice boost but it's likely not worth £200 over the V4900 when watching your budget (or buying your tight chums rounds of Guinness!).

As far as your RAMs, there is a point of diminishing return. Going with 8GB is just plain dandy. The Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz at £60 inc VAT has better timings and will save yah another £40. I'd have to check, but I believe it is qualified for the Asus M5A97 motherboard.

The Corsair TX650 is a quality power supply with a great warranty. If you are not gaming it is a bit over-sized but in the 'big picture' the PSU is never a place to cut corners to save £15.

I do have a bit of the Scot in me . . . . :lol: 

!