help! my puter crashed!!

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
help please .. my hp 8560 was ok till i updated with two sticks of generic pc 133 128 mb memory. then it booted and crashed? tryed to restore got mesage :file alocation table bad: then tryed to fdisk and re partition and still got same.. thow hd in garbage and start over? anything?

dazed and confused with all this puter stuff

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
<font color=blue>Incompatible or flaky RAM causes so many problems. For Example I bought two 256MB PC133 chips from Crucial and combined it with unbranded and I got all kinds of errors untill I removed the unbranded memory.</font color=blue>

<font color=green>What I would do is put the machine back to the original configuration (before the upgrade) and see if you have the same problems!?!</font color=green>

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
yes, the first thing i did was to put ut back as it was and it didn't help. could it be flaky because of the crap hp installs in their hardware that keeps anyone from updating?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You should be able to upgrade the RAM with no problems usually. Little things like that shouldn't effect it. It's just that some systems don't like somethings ... just like kids. Sometimes they will eat anything you put in front of them and others they won't touch!

Anyhow if the problem is still happening and you put the old RAM back in the machine I would try running the diagnostics on the hard drive from the mfg. If the FAT table is bad you should be able to Low Level Format the drive and everything should be golden!

<font color=red>Long</font color=red> Live<font color=blue> the USA</font color=blue>

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
how do you get a low level format?? where and how do you get the option? looked for that and found nothing.. the oem software does not give any options on the restore,it just does it and then reloads software.. the thing doesn't respond to a start up disk now??? so now what???

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If it's not responding to a boot disk I would make sure all the BIOS settings are set properly. If you are unable to boot the system at all a Low Level Format isn't going to help you. Your problem probably lies in the BIOS someplace ... but I wouldn't know where. Try setting the BIOS defaults and then going back through and checking all the settings ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
are you talking about the settings in set up??? i have tryed the defalts nad it doesnt help, it says in the set up its pheonex version... any idea where to get an update???

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah the BIOS/setup. You will need to go through and make sure that all the settings are correct. If you don't understand the BIOS settings I wouldn't really go in there to make any changes.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
I have looked around and didn't see anything that needed changed.. why would these settings need changed after this long? the thing was ok for two years.. what would change in there? dont you have make changes in there or can it change on its own, probably not.. will try again tonight.. thanks for you input...