AMD FX8350 experienced help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I'm new to the FX 8350. I've upgraded from my faithful 965BE. I'm a bit confused about Core Temp and its dislike for FX chips.
Should I ignore it at idle, and trust it under load? As it is I've adjusted the offset by 9*C so my core temp reads the same as my bios. If core temp is accurate at load on the FX chips my temps at load would be reading 9*C too high, which when over clocking can make a big difference between trying to push it a bit more, or backing off. Forgive me if this has been addressed. I haven't been able to find an answer. also if anyone has advice on a temp monitor program that works better with these chips I'd appreciate it. I just need some sound advice before I start making any more adjustments to my system.

Solution
My experience with 3rd party software is that they stink, ASUS probe has fantastic board diagnostics that are by and large to the percenta correct.

A 4.6ghz 8350 under load around 50*c is about right, idle will depend on your room temp, which will vary summer to winter on ambient, ie: you will never be below room temp unless using liquid nitrogen or below zero cooling.

Peak load temp is what to go by and 50 is about normal at those clocks.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
See I've run HWMonitor, it only gives me CPU temp, it doesn't seem to give me core temperatures. Am i missing a setting somewhere?
I've always used my core temp rather than socket or CPU temp when overclocking. from my understanding these chips will throttle at 65*C, tMax on the Chip is 90*.

I'll get you a screen shot once I'm home and on my machine. That may not be until about mid day tomorrow though....

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Okay here is where I'm sitting....
test16jan2013.png

My experience with 3rd party software is that they stink, ASUS probe has fantastic board diagnostics that are by and large to the percenta correct.

A 4.6ghz 8350 under load around 50*c is about right, idle will depend on your room temp, which will vary summer to winter on ambient, ie: you will never be below room temp unless using liquid nitrogen or below zero cooling.

Peak load temp is what to go by and 50 is about normal at those clocks.

Solution

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

That's about what I was figuring. I wanted to get a second set of eyes on it to make sure that my though patern was right. My ambient is at a controlled 70*F/21*C year round. I'm going to go with ignoring core temp ad idle, it seems to be fairly accurate under load. It shows lower than ambient temp at idle though which I know is just wrong. Time to make the push to 4.8 now. I think 5.0 will most likely get too hot for my liking until I upgrade the fans on my cooler.

I am a very avid believer in the mobo manufacturers diagnostic tools and sensor readings, ASUS suite is top drawer along with MSI and Gigabyte when it comes to UEFI bios and diagnostics, I trust them more than some stupid third party software.

You may want to check out AMD overdrive, it is quite a nice application to have ancillary.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I've personally never been a big fan of over drive. I'm sure they have updated it, but last I used it it was buggy. The Asus Ai for my board does a pretty good job. It doesn't have any task bar display though. I like to have my temps where I can monitor them while going about my business.... can't have it all I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.