Computer won't POST with RAM installed

tigranater

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I tried to do a component test to see why my first build wasn't working. I got the usual 3 beeps with the CPU installed, when I installed the RAM (1x8GB) I got no beeps. I researched a bit and realised that the RAM was not supported by the motherboard.

So I went and bought some RAM that was on the list of modules that were supported on the motherboard and installed them. As usual, it beeped with only the CPU but not with the RAM - again.

The motherboard I have is an AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3. The RAM modules I now have are two G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL.

Can you guys help me out here? Is the RAM not compatible with the motherboard or does the motherboard have four bad slots?

I even tried with only one stick of RAM on all four modules and it didn't work. I made sure to insert the two sticks into their corresponding modules as well, and to no avail.

tigranater

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
When I last checked, my G.SKILL RAM is supported. The difference in the similar model that is supported is just different heatspreaders, so the RAM is technically the same. Furthermore, it is not just supported RAM, it is simply RAM that is tested. The RAM surely can't be wrong.

Anyways, I returned the motherboard on the advice of others on Reddit - and the problem still occurs.

It may be the RAM after all...

tigranater

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
For some reason I wasn't allowed to edit the previous message.

Anyways, I wanted to finish it off by saying I still don't know what the problem is. There's no way I could have had two motherboards with faulty RAM slots in a row - and I really doubt it's the RAM considering that it's technically supported.

Any ideas?

What CPU are you using? If you're trying to use a new Ivy Bridge CPU then your BIOS version that shipped with the motherboard most likely doesn't support the CPU without an upgrade.

We also have a troubleshooting checklist that was created for this type of problem. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.

TRENDING THREADS