Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Why richland?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 1:54:51 AM

Someone could explain me the reason of richland?

I mean, kaveri will be here at the end of the year and the perfomance gain from trinty to kaveri would looks better than from richland to kaveri. :??: 

More about : richland

a c 152 à CPUs
January 12, 2013 2:19:02 AM

pit_1209 said:
Someone could explain me the reason of richland?

I mean, kaveri will be here at the end of the year and the perfomance gain from trinty to kaveri would looks better than from richland to kaveri. :??: 


I'm pretty sure that Kaveri will be regular mainstream APU's while Richland will be ultra low power/low TDP similar to Intel Atoms.
Score
0
a c 479 à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:23:41 AM

It is a Trinity tweaked APU. Basically increases clockspeed and also lowering power consumption. I think AMD's expectations are increased performance of around 30% for the iGPU core and 15% for the CPU while lowering power consumption. We'll have to wait and see though.

While this will be good for the desktop front, the obvious market segment is in laptops.
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:14:09 PM

jaguarskx said:
It is a Trinity tweaked APU. Basically increases clockspeed and also lowering power consumption. I think AMD's expectations are increased performance of around 30% for the iGPU core and 15% for the CPU while lowering power consumption. We'll have to wait and see though.

While this will be good for the desktop front, the obvious market segment is in laptops.


Ok but that´s the point of my question, the jaguar arquitecture isn´t supposed to deliver the perfomance for laptops? and if kaveri is here ths year why bring a tweaked "old" architecture back?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:19:47 PM

If you have a test product that works quite well, do you:

A) shelve it for 6 months till the next test product is ready
B) sell it.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:21:59 PM


I´m referring to this


Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:23:42 PM

noob2222 said:
If you have a test product that works quite well, do you:

A) shelve it for 6 months till the next test product is ready
B) sell it.


You got a point but wouldn´t be better marketingwise the big improvement from trinity to kaveri?
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:33:20 PM

the problem is that kaveri is so drastically different, it could be delayed. From what I gather it will be made by TSMC on 28nm not GF, the first CPU from TSMC, and the first non-SOI. Who knows what the yields will be or how fast it will run. Likely they are just now (or soon) getting some prototype kaveri APUs back for internal testing.

This is why kaveri is 2H 2013, it could be as late as december if its on time.
Share
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 3:58:20 PM

noob2222 said:
the problem is that kaveri is so drastically different, it could be delayed. From what I gather it will be made by TSMC on 28nm not GF, the first CPU from TSMC, and the first non-SOI. Who knows what the yields will be or how fast it will run. Likely they are just now (or soon) getting some prototype kaveri APUs back for internal testing.

This is why kaveri is 2H 2013, it could be as late as december if its on time.


Ok but then you think that kaveri will be like they promised?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 6:49:11 PM

The changes to steamroller core should in theory increase performance a pretty decent ammount, Id guess the gpu in kaveri will be roughly the same as the one in richland.

So with richland you get ~20-40% increase in gpu, then kaveri boosts cpu by ~10-20%.

clock speeds are going to be a big factor with TSMC's bulk 28nm. No idea what to expect there.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2013 10:05:57 PM

Best answer selected by pit_1209.
Score
0
January 19, 2013 1:12:44 PM

I noticed there was no Trinity MX, as there was with llano. MX APU's are usually an enhancement to a current line up. Seems to me Richland is essentially an MX version of Trinity or similar to a re stepped desktop part. Only difference seems to be there is no MX suffix but a complete rename instead.
Score
0
!