Why richland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Someone could explain me the reason of richland?

I mean, kaveri will be here at the end of the year and the perfomance gain from trinty to kaveri would looks better than from richland to kaveri. :??:

Solution
the problem is that kaveri is so drastically different, it could be delayed. From what I gather it will be made by TSMC on 28nm not GF, the first CPU from TSMC, and the first non-SOI. Who knows what the yields will be or how fast it will run. Likely they are just now (or soon) getting some prototype kaveri APUs back for internal testing.

This is why kaveri is 2H 2013, it could be as late as december if its on time.

I'm pretty sure that Kaveri will be regular mainstream APU's while Richland will be ultra low power/low TDP similar to Intel Atoms.

It is a Trinity tweaked APU. Basically increases clockspeed and also lowering power consumption. I think AMD's expectations are increased performance of around 30% for the iGPU core and 15% for the CPU while lowering power consumption. We'll have to wait and see though.

While this will be good for the desktop front, the obvious market segment is in laptops.

pit_1209

Distinguished

Ok but that´s the point of my question, the jaguar arquitecture isn´t supposed to deliver the perfomance for laptops? and if kaveri is here ths year why bring a tweaked "old" architecture back?

pit_1209

Distinguished
I´m referring to this

APU-2013-roadmap2-portada_zpsb949ec2a.jpg

pit_1209

Distinguished

You got a point but wouldn´t be better marketingwise the big improvement from trinity to kaveri?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the problem is that kaveri is so drastically different, it could be delayed. From what I gather it will be made by TSMC on 28nm not GF, the first CPU from TSMC, and the first non-SOI. Who knows what the yields will be or how fast it will run. Likely they are just now (or soon) getting some prototype kaveri APUs back for internal testing.

This is why kaveri is 2H 2013, it could be as late as december if its on time.

Solution

pit_1209

Distinguished

Ok but then you think that kaveri will be like they promised?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The changes to steamroller core should in theory increase performance a pretty decent ammount, Id guess the gpu in kaveri will be roughly the same as the one in richland.

So with richland you get ~20-40% increase in gpu, then kaveri boosts cpu by ~10-20%.

clock speeds are going to be a big factor with TSMC's bulk 28nm. No idea what to expect there.

computaquark

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I noticed there was no Trinity MX, as there was with llano. MX APU's are usually an enhancement to a current line up. Seems to me Richland is essentially an MX version of Trinity or similar to a re stepped desktop part. Only difference seems to be there is no MX suffix but a complete rename instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.