Sign in with
Your question

Will these parts make for a good homebuilt "budget" gaming computer?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 3:20:31 PM

So before I order all these parts I was looking to get a pros opinion on it!

This will be my first build and I just want to make sure everything goes according to plan;
One question I have is will the CPU fit the Motherboard? Because the CPU says its AM3 socket and the mobo says AM3(+)..

Sorry if thats quite a nooby question! Anyone, heres the parts;

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz Black Edition
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
RAM - Corsair XMS3 DIMM 8GB 1600Mhz
MOBO - ASRock 970 Extreme 3
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2
CASE - Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Mid Tower

Some extras
------------------
Extra Fan - Scythe Slip Stream 120mm 1600rpm
CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 - 120mm
DVD Burner - Asus 24B5ST

Total Price is;
€802.15

Can I have some peoples opinions on this build? I was originally going for an intel core i5 2500k but now it isn't within my budget! Also, I can't upgrade to the 670 because I really need to keep this around €800!

Thanks a lot! Any opinions or changes I could make to improve the performance but keep the price the same?

The site I'm using is;
http://www.komplett.ie

Thanks a lot!
Dylan :) 
August 28, 2012 4:59:28 PM

Looks like a good build. (The CPU will work on an AM3+)

I thought one of the selling points of the new 6 series GPU's is lower power requirements. If you only intend to use one card, you might consider saving some money on a smaller (but still good quality) PSU and puting it toward a GTX 670.

August 28, 2012 5:41:02 PM

^ Agree with the above

Even with dual cards you don't really need 750W. I would avoid dual cards anyway, it isn't necessary on a single monitor. You could drop the PSU to a CX-500 and drop the extra fan and cooler until you decide to overclock and that would save quite a lot. You could then put that cash towards the CPU, GPU or a SSD.
Related resources
August 28, 2012 6:05:47 PM

The 965 BE is a great CPU. It will fit in an AM2, AM2+, AM3, or AM3+ motherboard.
The only issue I'd be worried about is you are just barely on the edge of a CPU bottleneck with that CPU/GPU combo. Some games will be fine and others will cause the CPU to create lag. A nice overclock on the 965 BE should eliminate most issues.
The 660 Ti has had a 'meh' reception because the pricing is a bit high to be competitive but the fact is it is a powerful card. For a more balanced rig a GTX 560 Ti or HD 7850 might better serve you.
August 28, 2012 6:37:54 PM

Z1NONLY said:
Looks like a good build. (The CPU will work on an AM3+)

I thought one of the selling points of the new 6 series GPU's is lower power requirements. If you only intend to use one card, you might consider saving some money on a smaller (but still good quality) PSU and puting it toward a GTX 670.

Hey thanks for the reply, the reason I choose that PSU is because its modular and it has 2 6pin power connectors, as I think the GPU requires two, also do you happen to know if the GPU absolutely NEEDS to be plugged into a PCIe 3.0 or can it just be plugged into a 2.0? I would downgrade the PSU as long as it is on this website - www.komplett.ie - and it has two 6 pins :)  Thanks for the reply!:) 

Quote:
The 965 BE is a great CPU. It will fit in an AM2, AM2+, AM3, or AM3+ motherboard.
The only issue I'd be worried about is you are just barely on the edge of a CPU bottleneck with that CPU/GPU combo. Some games will be fine and others will cause the CPU to create lag. A nice overclock on the 965 BE should eliminate most issues.
The 660 Ti has had a 'meh' reception because the pricing is a bit high to be competitive but the fact is it is a powerful card. For a more balanced rig a GTX 560 Ti or HD 7850 might better serve you.

I'll stick to the 965 as I'm going to overclock as soon as I get it! :)  Also, comparing the 560 and 660 benchmarks I think i'll go with the 660 just for personal preference from what i've seen :) 

Quote:
Even with dual cards you don't really need 750W. I would avoid dual cards anyway, it isn't necessary on a single monitor. You could drop the PSU to a CX-500 and drop the extra fan and cooler until you decide to overclock and that would save quite a lot. You could then put that cash towards the CPU, GPU or a SSD.

I amn't planning on dual cards anytime soon! :)  I need a PSU with two 6 pin connectors for the GPU, and it needs to be on this site - komplett.ie :)  I'm having trouble finding any, it could be my noobiness but the first I found was the 750w! I don't particularly need it to be modular :)  I will drop the extra fan but I'll keep the cooler as I'm going to overclock straight from the box! :)  If I do save up enough cash from a cheaper CPU and dropping the extra fan I might bump up to the 670, or even just keep the cash to buy a decent mouse/keyboard :) 

August 28, 2012 6:51:03 PM

You would be better off with an i3 cpu/mobo. take a look at the budget rig in my sig and build off that.
August 28, 2012 8:14:21 PM

dg1598 said:
Hey thanks for the reply, the reason I choose that PSU is because its modular and it has 2 6pin power connectors, as I think the GPU requires two, also do you happen to know if the GPU absolutely NEEDS to be plugged into a PCIe 3.0 or can it just be plugged into a 2.0? I would downgrade the PSU as long as it is on this website - www.komplett.ie - and it has two 6 pins :)  Thanks for the reply!:) 

I have a corsair TX750 and it's not modular. (Still a great PSU)

The video card should be backward-compatable for 2.0.

I'll check the website for another PSU when I get home.

There's nothing wrong with the one you picked. It is just more than you needfor the rest of your rig.
August 28, 2012 9:13:12 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
You would be better off with an i3 cpu/mobo. take a look at the budget rig in my sig and build off that.

I'm definitely going quad core, saw some benchmarks for an overclocked Phenom and I'm very happy with those results! Also micro atx mobo doesnt really suit me! :) 

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
I have a corsair TX750 and it's not modular. (Still a great PSU)

The video card should be backward-compatable for 2.0.

I'll check the website for another PSU when I get home.

There's nothing wrong with the one you picked. It is just more than you needfor the rest of your rig.

I'm happy with a non modular! :)  All i need is the two 6 pins for the GPU :)  Thank you very much for the help!! :)  jmsellars1 posted a link to one I think i might go with, it seems to have the two 6 pins and i was wondering would 500w support the CPU and GPU? :) 

Quote:
http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/2008... thats perfect thank you so much! will this be able to handle the GTX660Ti and an overclocked Phenom? :) 

August 28, 2012 10:00:16 PM

Yeah 500W would be fine unless you're looking at extremely high overclocks on both the CPU and graphics card. Then it might be pushing it a bit when under load. A moderate overclock should be fine though.

Just tried it in a PSU calculator and with a hefty 4.2Ghz overclock and a SSD upgrade, it recommends 400-450W+
August 28, 2012 11:02:56 PM

Thank you very much for all of your help! It seems I can get all of the parts for €805.45 which is a price I'm willing to pay!

Thanks to all who helped! :) 
August 29, 2012 4:15:09 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
Check out these benchmarks...
It compares an overclocked 955 BE (which is the same as an overclocked 965 BE) to other processors.
See how the i3 2100, with 4 threads and is not overclocked, beats the overclocked 955 BE, also with 4 threads, in two of the three benchmarks.
You can get an i3 2120 (which is a step up from the i3 2100) for about the same price as the 965 BE. The other benefits of the i3 2120, besides being more powerful, is it uses less than half the power of the overclocked 965 BE and does not require an additional cpu cooler to beat the performance of the 965 BE. At stock speeds the i3 2120 will beat the 965 BE.
An i5 2300 or i5 2400 for a bit more than the i3 2120. Check out the i5 2400 on the link above. The i5's beat even the overclocked Phenom's by a fairly large margin.
August 29, 2012 11:35:33 AM

pacioli said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
Check out these benchmarks...
It compares an overclocked 955 BE (which is the same as an overclocked 965 BE) to other processors.
See how the i3 2100, with 4 threads and is not overclocked, beats the overclocked 955 BE, also with 4 threads, in two of the three benchmarks.
You can get an i3 2120 (which is a step up from the i3 2100) for about the same price as the 965 BE. The other benefits of the i3 2120, besides being more powerful, is it uses less than half the power of the overclocked 965 BE and does not require an additional cpu cooler to beat the performance of the 965 BE. At stock speeds the i3 2120 will beat the 965 BE.
An i5 2300 or i5 2400 for a bit more than the i3 2120. Check out the i5 2400 on the link above. The i5's beat even the overclocked Phenom's by a fairly large margin.

I really wanted an i5 2500k for some serious overclocking and from what I've heard it's one of the best around for gaming, but unfortunately my budget is fairly low! Also, this will be my first ever build, and also my leap from console to pc gaming, so there is no point in getting all of the best hardware if I don't like it! If I do like it though, I will upgrade the MoBo and Processor sometime in 2013 :) 
August 29, 2012 4:43:30 PM

dg1598 said:
I really wanted an i5 2500k for some serious overclocking and from what I've heard it's one of the best around for gaming, but unfortunately my budget is fairly low! Also, this will be my first ever build, and also my leap from console to pc gaming, so there is no point in getting all of the best hardware if I don't like it! If I do like it though, I will upgrade the MoBo and Processor sometime in 2013 :) 

Actually my point is....
Spend less money on parts that perform better
August 29, 2012 5:12:12 PM

pacioli said:
Actually my point is....
Spend less money on parts that perform better

oh okay, im happy with the build though!:) 
!