Your question

Upgrading Old Gaming PC- 300-400 Budget

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 3:37:24 PM

Hey guys, I've had my computer since 2008 so it is definitely time to do some updating. I know I'll be rather limited in my options since my motherboard can't support newer kinds of ram, ect, but here is my current rig:

INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm, 65W, EM64T EIST XD, Retail

ZALMAN, CNPS9700 Copper CPU Cooler, Socket LGA775/AMD754/939/940/AM2, Blue LED

ARCTIC SILVER, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, Polysynthetic Silver

SERVICE, Overclocking, Dual-Core CPU, 20-30% Performance Increase

eVGA, nForce 680i SLI 775 T1, LGA775, nForce 680i SLI, 1333MHz FSB, DDR2-1200 8GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI /2, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0+1 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW, ATX, Retail

2GB Generic Best Buy DDR2 RAM, my old Corsair RAM failed and I threw them away, not realizing the lifetime warranty until the next day.

eVGA, e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 576MHz, 320MB DDR3 1700MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI, HDTV/S-Video Out, Retail

SAMSUNG, 300GB SpinPoint T133, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 8MB Cache, OEM

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

MITSUMI, Black Internal 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

LITE-ON, LH-16D1P-187 Black 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive, IDE, Retail

SAMSUNG, Super-WriteMaster™ SH-S183L Black 18x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe, SATA, OEM

ANTEC, Nine Hundred Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU

CUSTOM WIRING, Standard Wiring with Round Cables (Choose upgrade)

THERMALTAKE, Toughpower 700W Power Supply w/ Modularized Cable Management, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Quad +12V, SLI Ready

MICROSOFT, Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2b, OEM

Primarily interested in upgrading the video card and RAM. Based on my research so far I think 4 GBs of G.skill DDR2 1066 RAM is the best for this motherboard and OS combination. For the video card I'm unsure, but have heard an AMD Radeon 7850 is a solid choice, seeing as how my Processor is a bottleneck?

Any suggestions you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated, and thanks a lot

More about : upgrading gaming 300 400 budget

August 28, 2012 3:48:06 PM

you need to upgrade 4 components cpu+gpu+mobo+ram.go with intel i3 2120 cpu($120)+ Radeon HD 6850 gpu(around $140)+asus mobo($110)+ddr3 8gb ram(48)

total cost around--$420
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:07:19 PM

Hmmm, what would be your suggestions if I didn't want to upgrade the CPU or Mobo? I don't have any experience installing either of them, and I'm not sure if I want to risk messing that up. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm just curious as to what the alternatives could be.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 4:18:51 PM

Blackcat5267 said:
Hmmm, what would be your suggestions if I didn't want to upgrade the CPU or Mobo? I don't have any experience installing either of them, and I'm not sure if I want to risk messing that up. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm just curious as to what the alternatives could be.

Basically if you do not upgrade the mobo and cpu, you will be bottlenecking your gpu. Installing it is really easy. Literally the hardest part is screwing in the motherboard. The cpu just drops in and the heatsink clamps on (usually). You can just unplug everything from the mobo, un screw it. Take other mobo, drop in CPU, put on heatsink, put in RAM, screw it in. Plug in the power connectors, done. It's so easy. and the only risk is static, so if you have a kitchen with tiles, just bring it in there and put it on a table, touch a piece of metal or touch a metal part of the case when holding cpu. Look up a video or PM for detailed instructions. Maninder055 has really good suggestions, it will e a huge upgrade for you and trust me, you'll be really happy you did it.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:24:58 PM

if you don't want to upgrade cpu or mobo then u will be unable to get full performance of your new gpu because new gpu's are works very well with new cpu's not with old ones.so don't buy a gpu until you don't have a new cpu.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:30:29 PM

My part suggestions:
CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO
RAM
GPU

Grand Total w/ Shipping & Tax: $450

CPU is 3.3Ghz and is Sandy Bridge :D 
RAM is 1600Mhz, 8GB (2x4GB) and is by corsair :D 
Mobo is socket 1155 for future upgrades, has two gpu slots, has 4 ram slots, has USB 3.0 and I believe a mouse usable BIOS but not entirely sure.
GPU is a 560, really nice gpu and is perfect.

You can manage an extra $50 these parts would be perfect :) , you can go with the 6850 too but I just prefer Nvidia. :) 
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:35:14 PM

Hmmm, I understand, thanks for the feedback. I just read in another thread that switching my motherboard will invalidate my current copy of Windows XP, so I would have to buy another key in order to make that upgrade? That'll tack on another 100.00$, which is out of my price range right now.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:43:01 PM

buddy updrade your os to win 7...
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:45:39 PM

Didn't see those part suggestions before my post, thanks a lot, that looks great. Would I have to mess around in BIOS or anything if I were to try these upgrades? Not sure what all is required for these kind of things. Also, would my current Windows XP need to be repurchased?
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:48:10 PM

Hahah now we're starting to get out of my range for real: came here intending to spend 300-400 to update my gear, now looking at $450 and a chunk more for Win 7? Hmmm, I like all of the suggestions but it might be getting up there for me.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:02:33 PM

Blackcat5267 said:
Hmmm, I understand, thanks for the feedback. I just read in another thread that switching my motherboard will invalidate my current copy of Windows XP, so I would have to buy another key in order to make that upgrade? That'll tack on another 100.00$, which is out of my price range right now.

If you still have the product key it will work fine, just call Microsoft and tell them you reformatted and got a new mobo due to your old pc dying. Or just get Windows 7. Although XP works better with some games and programs out there.

The parts recommended above are great and would make your system feel brand new. You can also follow this guide for a new ~$500 PC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclock...

Just use that system and make your old one a server or secondary PC.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:26:58 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions yarmock. I just realized that even though I have the key code for my Windows XP Home, I'm running the 32 Bit version, so I would still have to upgrade to Windows 7 in order to make use of the 8 Gigs of RAM listed in the earlier suggestions. Hmm, tough choices.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:50:45 PM

Blackcat5267 said:
Thanks again for the suggestions yarmock. I just realized that even though I have the key code for my Windows XP Home, I'm running the 32 Bit version, so I would still have to upgrade to Windows 7 in order to make use of the 8 Gigs of RAM listed in the earlier suggestions. Hmm, tough choices.

Then its a no brainer to get windows 7. usually you can get a student discount from your college or check online for deals. I know they offered us Win 7 for $20 at my college.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:53:02 PM

If you don't have the $, make enough $ then buy the upgrades.
m
l
August 28, 2012 7:28:31 PM

Blackcat5267 said:

There should be a sticker on the side of your computer with a product key, when it asks to register, enter in that product key.
m
l
August 28, 2012 7:28:53 PM

Blackcat5267 said:
Didn't see those part suggestions before my post, thanks a lot, that looks great. Would I have to mess around in BIOS or anything if I were to try these upgrades? Not sure what all is required for these kind of things. Also, would my current Windows XP need to be repurchased?

No you dont.
m
l
August 28, 2012 7:31:26 PM

Step 1: Save up for my suggestion
Step 2: Put in the parts
Step 3: When it asks for windows xp product key, use yours.
Step 4: Have a good day.
m
l
!