Sign in with
Your question

Laptop using Wi-Fi connected with LAN cable to router for sharing wireless inter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 11, 2011 7:50:30 AM

Hello,
I am currently subscribed to a monthly plan of wi-fi internet. I don't have access to broadband and wi-fi is the only thing I could get. So, being that this service is rather expensive I decided to try and set up a router to interface with other devices in the area (the wi-fi account can only be accessed by the original ip address device). However, I am having problems.

Do I hook my LAN cable to the internet port on the router or the 1-4 ports? Also, everything I've tried in Windows 7 produces no positive results. I can hook up to the router, and my laptop has internet access but my other devices have no internet access through the router. Please advise.
October 11, 2011 2:14:10 PM

What type of wi-fi device are you using? Also what type of router are you using?
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:25:29 PM

Jantech said:
What type of wi-fi device are you using? Also what type of router are you using?

The wi-fi is a wireless internet feed that my laptop is receiving from a wireless router. I have a Linksys E1500.
After messing with my Windows networking sharing options, the router's setup options, and the firewalls of both I finally gave up and decided to just bridge the connections. I just had to plug the LAN connection into the Internet port on the router and it came right up.
I wanted to avoid doing that because I believe it's less secure with regards to others on the network and access to my laptop itself. There should be a way through Windows to have what I want but I was only able to have router communicatikn and internet once during the whole 3 hours of fiddling, which only lasted about 5 minutes.
Any further ideas on how to do this properly? I know it's kind of the opposite connection lineup for wi-fi that most people use, but it's my only option at the moment.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2011 12:07:26 PM

I'm sorry that looks to me to be your best option.
m
l
October 13, 2011 4:51:32 AM

Alrighty then. Thanks for replying back man.
m
l
!