RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Kit 4x4GB Red
GPU - BFG Tech GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB PCIe 2.0 x16
HD1 - WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB
HD2 - WD Green WDBAAY0020HNC 2TB
OPT1- Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X DVDRW SATA
SND - Sound Blaster Xi-Fi Platinum PCIe
PSU - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 600W RP-600-PCAR

System boots.

Issue #1 - Ram reads 1333mhz, attempts to change speed to 1866mhz results in instant system shutdown, no blue screen, just powered down.

Issue #2 - System wil boot into windows and perform basic tasks. Internet browsing/streaming. Installation of driver files from cd/dvd drive. Full format of a 2TB drive. But, at some point, without what I can see as a specific user inputed cause I get a instant system shutdown, no error, no bluescreen, just powered down.

Computer will not restart or power up after either of those system crashes without cycling of the PSU on/off switch or physical wall plug disconnect/reconnect.

My motherboard documentation stated that despite having a 8-Pin CPU plug on the mobo, that I could connect either a 4-Pin or 8-Pin 12V Cable. Since this PSU only has a 4-Pin that is what I am running on.

I believe the issue to be the power supply. It appears to run stable under normal operating conditions when power is supplied by a Coolermaster TR2 RX 650W with the proper 8-Pin cable (Not put under any overclocked load or heavy gaming graphics). If I could get some confirmation based on your inspection of the sytem hardware I'd appreciate it.

I would also like a recommendation for features and wattage requirements I should be looking at with the current system, and perhaps a model you'd suggest.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like help with future proofing my computer. I would also like a recommendation for the same system with the following two changes.

a) Swapping of the 1(one)x GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 for
2(two)x ATi Radeon HD 7750 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0
b) Overclocking of the CPU to ~4.0 ghz

Thank you very much for your time and help.

More about : psu recommendations

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 4:05:10 AM

well ill tell u u right now that powersupply model isnt very good, ive owned the extreme power once and never again cause me some serious system stability issues.

also i think a 7770 would be a minimum as an upgrade, and whats ur budget for a new ps?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 4:06:42 AM

I can answer the memory problem question for you. Zambezi processors only support 1866 memory in dual channel with two memory modules. You have four. So you will have to run it at a slower speed or get two 8gb modules instead of four, 4gb modules.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 4:18:51 AM

Falcon - Thanks for the ram answer. Wow, I never caught that in my research, sad story there.

iceclock - Thanks for the reply. I am not stuck on the specific graphics card, just ready to get out of the 5 y/o 512mb card and into a pair of 1GB+ cards soon. I'd like to get a PSU to be prepared for that and possibly some overclocking but I believe doing that right would blow my budget.

I'd like to get a reputable PSU that will do now and later for under $100. If that's not possible I would like a stable one for running her as she sits reliably for $75 or less if that's possible.
m
l
January 12, 2013 4:21:04 AM

Falcon - Any idea on noticeable performance differences between my current 4x4gb @ 1333mhz and switching to 2x8gb @ 1866mhz ? Just wondering how badly I've gimped myself through ignorance here.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 4:22:27 AM

gemini_jackal said:
Falcon - Thanks for the ram answer. Wow, I never caught that in my research, sad story there.

No worries. Just run it at the slower speed. The difference between 1600 and 1866 is negligible. Even if you have to go down to 1333, It just isn't going to make too much of a difference.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 4:29:07 AM

agreed, u wont see a real world difference,

also for ur powersupply here:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x9Qh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x9Qh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x9Qh/benchmarks/

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $174.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 01:28 EST-0500)

also that nice 7700 :)  a few bucks more than the 7750 but def worth it :) 

m
l
January 12, 2013 4:49:45 AM

Thank you both for the information and quick replies.

Any particular reason for single rail. That's another specification I don't really understand. Not sure of whether single or multi rail is better, and it what situation they become necessary. Would love some informed elaboration.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 4:57:49 AM

if you wanna know the difference heres a thread from johnny guru that i recommand

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

also most powersupplies have single rail, dual-rail isnt the mainstream and mostly seen in higherend 200$+ models.

the powersupply i picked for u is more than enought juice for upgrades and ur current system :) 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 5:16:51 AM

gemini_jackal said:
Thank you both for the information and quick replies.

Any particular reason for single rail. That's another specification I don't really understand. Not sure of whether single or multi rail is better, and it what situation they become necessary. Would love some informed elaboration.

Dual rails mostly came about because intel decided many years ago that no one Rail should output more than 18 amps, so they wrote it into the ATX 2.0 PSU specs. It was a requirement, but it has been relaxed because it caused a lot of problems for multiple reasons.

Here is an example of the biggest problem it caused

Say you have a power supply with one 12v rail that outputs 36 amps. Now take a second power supply, same amount of power, but instead of one 36 amp rail, it has two 18 amp rails. Same amount of power, but split between tow rails instead of one. And if any of those rails exceed 18 amps, the PSU will shut the system down.

Now take this system as an example:

CPU at load: 10 amps
GPU at load: 21 amps

This setup works fine with the single rail PSU because the total draw is 31 amps. Remember the PSU's maximum 12v output is 36 amps.

However, with the dual rail PSU, the GPU would shut the system down as over current protection on that second rail wouldn't let it draw 21 amps on one rail. Remember, its limited to 18 amps per rail. This is despite the fact that the two 12v rails combined could handle this load, but one rail can't borrow from the other. The 8 amps on rail 1 go unused. The system shuts down.

And this is not a pie in the sky scenario. This type of thing happened a lot, especially in the early days of the ATX 2.0 spec. Its why enthusiasts tend to hate multiple 12v rails.

Hope I made that understandable.
m
l
January 12, 2013 5:34:33 AM

Had a few suggestions from other forums I thought I'd present here. Any pros/cons, personal experience with these? Suggestions on better choices in the mid-range quality with sufficient wattage?

Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 450W $70

SeaSonic G Series 550W $86

m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 2:10:11 PM

im still sticking with the xfx one, better than both those, and equivalent to the seasonic 550watt, and has 100 watts more juice :) 

January 13, 2013 11:47:52 PM

Best answer selected by gemini_jackal.
m
l
January 14, 2013 12:14:23 AM

Thank you everyone for all the information and suggestions. It is appreciated. After posing the question on a few different forums and doing my own research on the suggestions I received, I feel very confident in purchasing the XFX Pro 650W Core Edition suggested by iceclock from tomshardware forums.

Reviews from multiple websites had nothing but praise (beyond someones ranting complaint about the advertising/packaging) for this PSU regarding internal components, actual output and heavy load high temp testing results.

Thanks iceclock, appreciate your time and knowledge man!

http://us.ncix.com/

XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU
(Item#59616) $69.99
Priority Shipping: $11.98
Shipping Insurance
with 30 Days Express
RMA (3.00%): $2.10
YOUR TOTAL: $84.07 ($74.07 With eventual $10 rebate)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 12:17:50 AM

excellent :)  enjoy my friend

m
l
!