parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Let me start by apologizing if I've posted this in the wrong section.

Okay, so my computer started to freeze on me a couple of weeks ago. Usually when I'm in the middle of gaming, but it has occurred twice when I've just been online with very little running in the background. Having put this build together with brand new components (listed below) only recently, I'm struggling to think of what the problem could be. More likely software or hardware related? Other than this, I've not had any issues and everything's been running smoothly for about three months.

i3 2120, Asus SABERTOOTH P67, Asus GTX 550Ti (running at 980MHz on GPU tweak), 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz, Coolermaster Hyper 412S, Storm Scout with 700W Silent Pro, WD 500GB Caviar Black, WIndows 7

It happens when loading (i.e. the HDD indicator is flashing), lasting between 15-90 seconds, during which time the HDD light stays fully-ON. The entire setup just halts dead in the middle of whatever it's doing, no sound, and then a short while later continues as if nothing was wrong. Temperatures are all fine, even when playing something like Metro 2033 - the graphics card struggles but I don't think it ever gets excessively hot.

Unfortunately I don't have any backup components to swap out, so I'm considering buying an external hard drive to back everything up and re-install. If anyone has any suggestions for testing what's up, I'd very much appreciate them. Obviously, if you need more details about anything, just ask.

I have been planning to upgrade my GPU to a Radeon 7870 when I can afford it, but I suppose that will have to be put on hold if there's something that needs immediately taking care of. Unless of course it's the video card which is causing the problems, in which case it almost solves itself (wishful thinking?) ...

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I often run a full virus scan (once a week or so), and de-fragged my hard drive in case that would help but to no avail.

Well not as such, but it does seems to happen a lot more often when I'm running more CPU or GPU intensive applications, e.g. The Witcher games, Fifa 12, Skyrim, The Sims 3.

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I'm downloading WD's test tool now. It will take a few hours to run so thanks for the advice, and I guess I'll get back on here tomorrow if I'm none the wiser.

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Well I ran the extended test last night, everything came back good. The report said no bad sectors and I even tried turning a couple of background programs off, stopping them from running when I log into windows.

Then when I turned my PC on again (15 mins ago), it froze during startup. Which I forgot to mention has happened once or twice also, but after 30 seconds it continues working where it left off.

So that just leaves me increasingly befuddled *scratches head* any more ideas? Please.

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Doesn't seem to have much effect, if any. As I mentioned it has happened a couple of times during boot, when of course GPU tweak isn't even running. So I doubt if that is the problem (although it is one of the first things I considered, might be).

Could it be an issue with the MB, RAM, or video card itself? Is there a way to test for this without having any replacement parts, a sort of diagnostic?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you could try the gtx 550 ti in the second pci-e slot for ram do you use the a channel try the windows memory diagnostic then do memtest one stick one at the time not having a way to test with spare parts try this first

TRENDING THREADS