Why do 1BF42 and BFV lag so much on a 4Mbps cable connecti..

BF1942 and BFV have been lagging like crazy over the past couple of
months. I can download at 4000Mbps but these games often start alerting
me of connection problems whenever there is a lot of action and/or a lot
of people in the immediate area. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?

Thanks

Bob

In article <YaTie.6493$DC2.3489@okepread01>, brobertson@aol.com says...
> BF1942 and BFV have been lagging like crazy over the past couple of
> months. I can download at 4000Mbps but these games often start alerting
> me of connection problems whenever there is a lot of action and/or a lot
> of people in the immediate area. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

what's your ping when you start getting these errors? being able to
download from a website or other medium is different than a persistent
connection needed for gaming. when gaming, you're live. when you're
downloading from a website, it doesn't need to be 100% persistent, you
can actually have packetloss and still be able to function. with a game,
it's totally different.

/CF

schrodinger

"Colonel_Flagg" <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:MPG.1cf5efc3733bdd6998975d@nntp.charter.net...
> In article <YaTie.6493$DC2.3489@okepread01>, brobertson@aol.com says...
>> BF1942 and BFV have been lagging like crazy over the past couple of
>> months. I can download at 4000Mbps but these games often start alerting
>> me of connection problems whenever there is a lot of action and/or a lot
>> of people in the immediate area. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bob
>>

> what's your ping when you start getting these errors? being able to
> download from a website or other medium is different than a persistent
> connection needed for gaming. when gaming, you're live. when you're
> downloading from a website, it doesn't need to be 100% persistent, you
> can actually have packetloss and still be able to function. with a game,
> it's totally different.
>

> /CF

This could be down to packet loss. Do you use ASE? That will give you a
good indication of both ping and PL.

I had problems when I installed a new router. Changing the MTU from 1410 to
1400 sorted it out - no idea why, but you may want to look in that area
first.

Colonel_Flagg wrote:
> In article <YaTie.6493$DC2.3489@okepread01>, brobertson@aol.com says...
>
>>BF1942 and BFV have been lagging like crazy over the past couple of
>>months. I can download at 4000Mbps but these games often start alerting
>>me of connection problems whenever there is a lot of action and/or a lot
>>of people in the immediate area. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Bob
>>

> what's your ping when you start getting these errors? being able to
> download from a website or other medium is different than a persistent
> connection needed for gaming. when gaming, you're live. when you're
> downloading from a website, it doesn't need to be 100% persistent, you
> can actually have packetloss and still be able to function. with a game,
> it's totally different.
>

> /CF
I'm usually in the 60-70ms range.

Colonel_Flagg wrote:
> In article <YaTie.6493$DC2.3489@okepread01>, brobertson@aol.com says...
>
>>BF1942 and BFV have been lagging like crazy over the past couple of
>>months. I can download at 4000Mbps but these games often start alerting
>>me of connection problems whenever there is a lot of action and/or a lot
>>of people in the immediate area. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Bob
>>

> what's your ping when you start getting these errors? being able to
> download from a website or other medium is different than a persistent
> connection needed for gaming. when gaming, you're live. when you're
> downloading from a website, it doesn't need to be 100% persistent, you
> can actually have packetloss and still be able to function. with a game,
> it's totally different.
>

> /CF
I'm usually in the 60-70ms range.

Lag can be caused by all sorts of things :

- Your connection speed to your ISP
- The server speed indicated by ping times (smaller are better).
- Connection speed of other players on that server (view the players
list and look for big numbers)
- Too many players on an underpowered server
- Badly written maps
- Other broadband users on your local switch (i.e. capacity
contention).

I'd suggest finding the servers that have the smallest ping, probably
the ones local to your country/area.

tangerine_sedge wrote:
> Lag can be caused by all sorts of things :
>
> - Your connection speed to your ISP
> - The server speed indicated by ping times (smaller are better).
> - Connection speed of other players on that server (view the players
> list and look for big numbers)
> - Too many players on an underpowered server
> - Badly written maps
> - Other broadband users on your local switch (i.e. capacity
> contention).
>

> I'd suggest finding the servers that have the smallest ping, probably
> the ones local to your country/area.

One of the reasons is that most leased game servers are located in the Midwest and
the routers to them are kinda laggy for ppl on both coasts. It pings ok to them,
but the ping latency is bad seems to jump constantly.

>tangerine_sedge wrote:
>> Lag can be caused by all sorts of things :
>>
>> - Your connection speed to your ISP
>> - The server speed indicated by ping times (smaller are better).
>> - Connection speed of other players on that server (view the players
>> list and look for big numbers)
>> - Too many players on an underpowered server
>> - Badly written maps
>> - Other broadband users on your local switch (i.e. capacity
>> contention).
>>

>> I'd suggest finding the servers that have the smallest ping, probably
>> the ones local to your country/area.
>>

>One of the reasons is that most leased game servers are located in the Midwest and
>the routers to them are kinda laggy for ppl on both coasts. It pings ok to them,
>but the ping latency is bad seems to jump constantly.

I don't if this has any thing to do with your problem but until I got
1.5 Gs of ram I lagged on FH mod, it wasn't the server, it was not
enough ram for me.