XP Clean Install on A7V

RCPilot

Champion
A7V mobo
200 FSB
1 gig T-bird

I've got some type of problem with my A7V mobo, or I don't understand how to do it. I've installed XP
PRO over the top of 98 SE. I did that to see if I wanted to run XP. Well I'm so impressed with XP that I
want to load XP from a totally clean install, not overwriting it. I Can not get it to take. I've tried to set
the boot seq. in BIOS to boot from the CD Rom, but I just loose the BIOS. Then I have to pull out the
CMOS battery to reset the BIOS & then it boots right back into XP. I did find a 6 floppy disk boot set
on the XP page to use if your MOBO doesn't support boot from CD ROM. I assume that the A7V
should be a modern enough MOBO to do it?

1. Do you change the boot seq. in the boot portion of the BIOS. or in the Advanced section?

2. Do I have to swap ribbons on the board between the HDD & the CD ROM to get it to take?

Any help would be appreciated. I built the machine & have built several since, but I just can't figure
how to load XP clean at all. I know it's some little thing that I've missed.

Thank You,

Rcpilot

Signature, Who Cares!
It's been the same Signature of the week,
FOR WEEKS!!!

Are you connecting your CD-ROM to the VIA controller or the Promise controller? I would suggest connecting your primary hard drive to the primary Promise IDE and your CD-ROM to your primary VIA controller. That's how I was able to get mine up and running with no issues.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You HAVE to change the boot sequence in the BIOS boot section so that your CDROM is ahead of your hard disk if you want to boot of the CD. Simple as that.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V, and silverpig was right about the boot sequence. About having your CD rom OR your hard drive on the Promise controller, if WinXP doesn't natively support it, all you need to do in order for the install to go fine is to have a floppy disk with the Promise ATA100 Controller driver on it. When the install is loading up it asks for any third party drivers, press F5 and when it asks you to put in the floppy disk, go ahead and stick it in. Again this is only if WinXP does NOT have native support for the Promise ATA100 controller. You'll need some back up info on that. If you end up having to need the Promise driver, PM me and Ill email it to you as an attachment.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if the version you have is that ripped dell version, then you will probably find its not bootable anyway :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers