30 minutes to connect!!??

Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive about
the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
$15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is the
norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow the
$40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is
not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??
17 answers Last reply
More about minutes connect

    They must be... Is it a higly populated server?

    "No One" <none@nope.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive
    > about
    > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is
    > the
    > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow
    > the
    > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this
    > is
    > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??
    If you play pvp expect bad things. those servers are mostly full and
    encounter the most problems.

    In article <Xns96B9D3F184BFBmemecom@216.196.97.131>, none@nope.com
    says...
    > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive about
    > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is the
    > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow the
    > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is
    > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??

    If you are just starting, WTF did you pick a high population server?
    Just like the saying goes "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." . . . "The
    STOP DOING THAT!"

    --
    Rob Berryhill

    In article <MPG.1d7325a3f472387e98974a@news.west.cox.net>,
    Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > In article <Xns96B9D3F184BFBmemecom@216.196.97.131>, none@nope.com
    > says...
    > > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive about
    > > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is the
    > > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow the
    > > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is
    > > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??
    > >

    > If you are just starting, WTF did you pick a high population server?
    > Just like the saying goes "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." . . . "The
    > STOP DOING THAT!"

    Kind of a harsh way to put it, but it's probably the issue. I've been
    playing for 6 mos on Eonar and never once had a queue. Occasionally
    there are login delays, server crashes, unscheduled reboots, lots of
    other bugs, but I still don't know what a queue dialog looks like.
    Eonar was "low" population when I started, and now much more crowded but
    still not a problem.

    No One wrote:
    > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive about
    > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is the
    > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow the
    > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is
    > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??

    Welcome to teh addiction...

    Sorry, I played on Elune and changed servers to Cenarius about 2 months
    ago. I did have to wait on Elune about 4 months ago when there was that
    seriously bad time with all the servers being crowded and laggy, and
    once about a month ago I actually had to wait for about 9 minutes in
    queue on Cenarius. I can only imagine it must be on a server by server
    basis, some servers are more crowded than others.

    Just because Elune and Cenarius don't have queues when I log in doesnt
    mean that I don't believe you on having to queue up to play, just that I
    haven't had to wait other than a couple times.

    I was in game off and on all day today, and nary a wait time ... if you
    want to look me up to say hi, I play a hordie warlock named Sonnenschein
    on Cenarius =)

    No One wrote:
    > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive about
    > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is the
    > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow the
    > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is
    > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??

    Hello!

    I just started WoW this past weekend, too. Downloaded the patches from
    my parents' PC (they have cable, I only have dial-up) and started
    playing.

    Greymane is the new default newbie server, I got dumped there too.
    It's going to depend on what time of day you play. If you start early
    morning to mid-afternoon, you likely won't have a queue, or if so, only
    in the double digits (2-3 minutes). Late afternoon and evening are
    very bad.

    My best advice is, start on another server if possible if Greymane has
    a sizable queue. Since it's easy to get to about level 10 or 11 in a
    few days of playing (I have a Tauren Shaman at 11, and a Night Elf
    Druid (and a few others) at 7 or so, it's not too bad if you have to
    pick one server over another.

    A general question to the group -- I thought you couldn't have opposing
    faction characters (Alliance AND Horde) on the same server? Yet I've
    done so on Greymane, and one of the other 'G' servers without a
    problem. Was this changed from the past, or a rumor that was never
    true?

    Thanks to everyone for their help earlier as well. My graphics card
    and 1GB RAM runs the game beautifully! Having a blast.

    Take it and run!

    Earl Allison

    The Norm? Hardly. Not even on a High Population server like Argent
    Dawn. Yes, there is a queue sometimes. Last night it was 155 ahead of
    me. So I went to another character of mine on another server. I have
    characters on 3 servers, a High, a Medium, and a Low Pop servers. I
    never have trouble playing at least one of my characters.

    Sounds like you purposefully picked a High Population server to play
    on. Why? It's not too late. Pick a low population server and go from
    there.

    On my Low Pop server there are still crowds in Ogrimmar, and far too
    many overly aggressive Dwarf Hunters who shoot first and die later.

    You are still new. If you like the game you can easily make a switch to a
    new or low population server without much loss. This will gaurantee no
    queues to login and play (and also reduced lag/problems).

    Otherwise, yes, queues are a part of this game, especially on older servers.
    I believe it is the first MMORPG to introduce a queue just to be able to
    play the game. I don't like it either.

    >Alas, after two weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    >minutes to get on server (Greymane)

    Is Greymane one of the servers that says "NEW" next to them? If so,
    just switch to a server that says "LOW" or "MEDIUM" next to it. For
    some reason, all the "New" servers are overloaded and have long wait
    times.

    On 22 Aug 2005 03:43:47 -0700, Earl Allison <eallison@tiac.net> wrote:

    > A general question to the group -- I thought you couldn't have opposing
    > faction characters (Alliance AND Horde) on the same server? Yet I've
    > done so on Greymane, and one of the other 'G' servers without a
    > problem. Was this changed from the past, or a rumor that was never
    > true?

    You can on PvE servers, you cannot on PvP servers. I have no clue on whether
    it is possible or not on RP servers.

    Cheers
    Urbin

    --
    Urbin (48), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

    "Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote in message
    > On 22 Aug 2005 03:43:47 -0700, Earl Allison <eallison@tiac.net> wrote:
    >
    >> A general question to the group -- I thought you couldn't have opposing
    >> faction characters (Alliance AND Horde) on the same server? Yet I've
    >> done so on Greymane, and one of the other 'G' servers without a
    >> problem. Was this changed from the past, or a rumor that was never
    >> true?
    >
    > You can on PvE servers, you cannot on PvP servers. I have no clue on
    > whether
    > it is possible or not on RP servers.

    RP are the same as PvE in that regard

    > hope the $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server.

    I take it this is your first MMOG?

    On 2005-08-22 18:10:34 +0200, pauls2272@yahoo.com said:

    >> Alas, after two weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15
    >> minutes to over 30
    >> minutes to get on server (Greymane)
    >
    > Is Greymane one of the servers that says "NEW" next to them? If so,
    > just switch to a server that says "LOW" or "MEDIUM" next to it. For
    > some reason, all the "New" servers are overloaded and have long wait
    > times.

    That 'some reason' is that they lower the player caps on new servers to
    avoid overpopulation in newbie zones. Once everyone starts spreading
    out, they raise this cap.
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU

    G wrote:
    > You are still new. If you like the game you can easily make a switch to a
    > new or low population server without much loss. This will gaurantee no
    > queues to login and play (and also reduced lag/problems).

    I would personally recommend restarting on a Medium population server -
    low population servers have problems of their own (difficulty finding
    groups, lack of stuff for sale on the auction house), although they will
    certainly be queue-free!

    Cheers!
    David...

    No One <none@nope.com> wrote in

    > Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over
    > 30 minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever.
    > There are over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes.
    > If this is the norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I
    > will just swallow the $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone
    > PLEASE tell me that this is not normal and Blizzard is having
    > temporary problems??

    Is it a server Blizzard are offereng a character transfer from to another
    less popped server?

    Actually no it isn't "?" is where an arrow was

    Blackrock ? Bloodscalp
    Icecrown ? Azjol-Nerub
    Deathwing ? Stormscale
    Ner'zhul ? Crushridge
    Proudmoore ? Dragonblight
    Silvermoon ? Draenor
    Archimonde ? Firetree
    Kil'Jaeden ? Boulderfist
    Tichondrius ? Dunemaul
    Doomhammer ? Perenolde

    Damon

    "No One" <none@nope.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive
    > about
    > the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    > $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    > weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    > minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    > over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is
    > the
    > norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow
    > the
    > $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this
    > is
    > not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??

    Except on patch days, I get on Silvermoon pretty much right away. I guess
    it varies server by server.

    No for Greymane this is normal the server was full from new in only 6 days.
    The finally start a few new PvE servers to so it no longer offers Greymane.
    It is part of the growing pain since worldwide 4 million people now play
    WoW. This game are now over 2x bigger than Final Fantasy XI. If you have a
    low lvl character it would be better to start on a new server. Make it
    around 8:00pm on friday or saturday (peak times) to find a server not too
    full. By doing this you will see the full servers and there are a lot of
    them now.

    Sorry you joined at the time Greymane was overloaded and on broadband you
    should be getting lag from 45-240 depending on people in the area. I avg
    about 80-120ms on Greymane and when on Proudmore was at 140-200 so lag is
    better.

    > "No One" <none@nope.com> wrote in message
    >> Ok, so I finally take the plunge and buy WoW. I was very apprehensive
    >> about
    >> the $15 a month fee but I really like past Blizzard titles and hope the
    >> $15/month would promise a smooth hack/lag free server. Alas, after two
    >> weeks what I find is routinely having to wait from 15 minutes to over 30
    >> minutes to get on server (Greymane). Tonight is the worst ever. There are
    >> over 400 in front of me and the wait is close to 40 minutes. If this is
    >> the
    >> norm, I am not about to pay a monthly fee for this. I will just swallow
    >> the
    >> $40 I am out so far and live and learn. Someone PLEASE tell me that this
    >> is
    >> not normal and Blizzard is having temporary problems??

Connection World Of Warcraft Video Games