Wifi only fast when next to router?

krazypho

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey simple question, my internet only seems to be quick when I'm next to my router(around 15mb), or when I have a decently fast speed (4-5mb)sometimes in my room, I can't load any games such as HoN unless I alt-tab out of the window and load a internet screen. Could it be the router? I have a asusUL50 if that helps. Thanks.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
What distance from the router is giving you slower speeds? I know with mine i can be between 70-100 feet away and the speeds on my laptop almost match those on my desktop. I don't do ant PC gaming anymore so that part i would not know much about. But when i did i never had to load a separate internet screen. Just start the game and start playing.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
That really isn't that far unless the signal has to travel around a lot of obstacles or through any walls. So that could be one factor. Another could be the wireless card in the laptop, some are just better than others.

I have a Dell that is like 6 years old and way outdated. I can pick up wireless all over the house with no problem. I have an HP that is only a year old and i can't get more than a 2 bar signal sitting right at the router. For the HP i solved that issue because i had a Linksys gaming adapter laying around that i used to use with my gaming consoles before i hard wired them. Once i started using the gaming adapter instead of the laptop's wireless card my signal strength was up to the full 4 bars.

Do you have any other wireless devices you can test in your room to see what strength of a signal they get?

krazypho

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
The wireless signals are all strong, 4-5 bars and im actually sitting right next to the router now, the thing is, the guy thats above me in the room above the router, gets the best connection, never disconnects and has like 20mbs per a sec with a older model laptop.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
So the your laptop is the only wireless device that has a problem when you put distance in between it and the router?

That really could just be a weak network card. I guess one free thing to try would be to run some malware, spyware, and antivirus software. Make sure the laptop is clean of any nasty things that could cause connection problems.

Other than that or a weak network card i just can't think of a reason why everything else has no problem getting a strong signal, but the laptop has a problem.