Exploring HDD

When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
explorer.
When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
How can i change i change it back to Open...

Regards
Terence
6 answers Last reply
More about exploring

    Terence,

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders / drives.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
    > explorer.
    > When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
    > How can i change i change it back to Open...
    >
    > Regards
    > Terence

    Thanks Ramesh

    I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead of
    Drive.

    Regards
    Terence

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Terence,
    >
    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    > File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    > feature for folders / drives.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Resolution:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > (Tip from David Candy)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
    > > explorer.
    > > When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
    > > How can i change i change it back to Open...
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Terence

    Is it possible to add these action (Print Directory/Command Prompt Here) when
    i right-click ANYWHERE in the folder?

    "mtzo81" wrote:

    > Thanks Ramesh
    >
    > I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead of
    > Drive.
    >
    > Regards
    > Terence
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    > > Terence,
    > >
    > > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    > > File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    > > feature for folders / drives.

    > > Resolution:
    > >
    > > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > > (Tip from David Candy)
    > >
    > > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    > >
    > > -or-
    > >
    > > To fix this manually via registry:
    > >
    > > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    > >
    > > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    > >
    > > If this problem is seen for folders:
    > >
    > > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
    > > > explorer.
    > > > When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
    > > > How can i change i change it back to Open...
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Terence

    >> right-click ANYWHERE in the folder

    I don't think that's possible.. The right-click actions you add are
    relative. Eg. When you right-click a blank area in an open folder,
    context-menu loads from a different area.

    Adding a right-click action for folder works only when you right-click on a
    folder.

    --

    > Is it possible to add these action (Print Directory/Command Prompt Here)
    > when
    > i right-click ANYWHERE in the folder?
    >
    > "mtzo81" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Ramesh
    >>
    >> I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead
    >> of
    >> Drive.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Terence
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Terence,
    >> >
    >> > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> > via
    >> > File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    >> > feature for folders / drives.
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >> >
    >> > Resolution:
    >> >
    >> > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> > (Tip from David Candy)
    >> >
    >> > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >> >
    >> > -or-
    >> >
    >> > To fix this manually via registry:
    >> >
    >> > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    >> > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >> >
    >> > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >> >
    >> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    >> > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >> >

    >> > "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Right Click the System Menu or the Folder Icon in Web View
    Pops up the context menu for the container

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23AsCb3IhFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >>> right-click ANYWHERE in the folder
    >
    > I don't think that's possible.. The right-click actions you add are
    > relative. Eg. When you right-click a blank area in an open folder,
    > context-menu loads from a different area.
    >
    > Adding a right-click action for folder works only when you right-click on a
    > folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to add these action (Print Directory/Command Prompt Here)
    >> when
    >> i right-click ANYWHERE in the folder?
    >>
    >> "mtzo81" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Ramesh
    >>>
    >>> I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead
    >>> of
    >>> Drive.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Terence

    And extended verbs aren't available here either. I now have to see all commands all the time.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23pc6aCJhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Right Click the System Menu or the Folder Icon in Web View
    Pops up the context menu for the container

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23AsCb3IhFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >>> right-click ANYWHERE in the folder
    >
    > I don't think that's possible.. The right-click actions you add are
    > relative. Eg. When you right-click a blank area in an open folder,
    > context-menu loads from a different area.
    >
    > Adding a right-click action for folder works only when you right-click on a
    > folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "mtzo81" <mtzo81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to add these action (Print Directory/Command Prompt Here)
    >> when
    >> i right-click ANYWHERE in the folder?
    >>
    >> "mtzo81" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Ramesh
    >>>
    >>> I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead
    >>> of
    >>> Drive.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Terence

Configuration Hard Drives Customization Microsoft Windows XP