Computer turns on for a split second then shuts off

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
What's happening is when I try to start the computer it turns on and shuts off immediately. Case fans, CPU fan, GCard fan, case LEDs and PSU fan all turn on for that half second. If I press the power button again, nothing happens.. The only way I can get it to attempt to startup again is if I turn the socket on the wall off and on again but it still does the same Thing.

I built this computer last Wednesday everything was working fine then yesterday the PC would not turn on, it did what I explained above. To fix it all i had to do was change the socket on the wall and it booted up fine. Today the same thing happened except the quick fix did not work.

I have tested the psu using the paper clip and it runs fine.I just cant figure out how yesterday i could play BF3 and today it wont't turn on.

Some other things that might be worth mentioning:
I installed an extra 2x4GB Ram yesterday
The motherboard power led acts weird e.g takes 30 sec for it to turn of after turn psu off at the back

Specs:
amd phenom ii x4 965 BE
Corsair GS600
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Komputerbay 4x4Gb 1333Mhz Ram
Sapphire HD 6870

Thanks,

G

I had a similar problem for a recent build for a friend. The problem turned out to be the standoff the case manufacturer told me to put in was shorting the mobo. As the case already had risers for the mobo. So I would check that first just to see.

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply's

obsama1 I tried what you said i toke all the stick out then just put one in but still no luck even with no ram in the same thing happens

yarmock Atm the Mobo is out of the case on a sheet of cardboard so that's not the problem

Spat55 Yes the cpu power header is in, weirdly though if i plug it out and power up it stays on

spat55

Distinguished

That is odd, try googling it? Don't know what that means!

Collywozzle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Either the mobo shorting thing or:

The heatsink isn't seated correctly. Try reseating it or using a different one.

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I don't see how this could be the problem as it was working fine for nearly a week?

Collywozzle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Reason here is that even if it may run fine, the seating can actually cause issues for booting. You may boot up and it work alright, but if it either trips the failsafes or shorts a connection on the board (less likely these days) it will prevent the boot. Note that if you try to boot without a heatsink it probably wont work and may beep or something (depending on mobo). However from my experience an incorrectly seated one can prevent boot but not show the usual signs.

This was more of an issue 10 years ago - things have advanced somewhat since - but imo, is worth checking. reseating stuff like that is an easy check.

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Should I take out the cpu aswell?

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
A similar thing happened to me, then I discovered I accidentally plugged the CPU power into the 8 pin PCIe power connector on my modular PSU. Switching the connection to the right place fixed everything. Is it possible that this happened to you?

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

sadly no both are labeled pci-e and cpu so frustrating :fou:

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
On the power supply plug I have a 2 pin to 3 pin to fit the socket on my wall could that be the issue?? Because i can recall that there was a surge warning that came up a few days prier to this before the boot screen.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

I had that same exact problem. Its a dead motherboard. I RMA'ed mine to MSI and got a new one. But be forewarned, when mine died, it also took the CPU with it, so consider the possibility that it fried the CPU as well..

NuClArPeNgUiN

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Hopefully that is not the case with me :S I did the paperclip test on my PSU it passed with 1 fan attached but failed with 2 so I'm returning it. I'm praying that it didn't take anything else with it xD :L

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Good Luck haha. Hope it didnt fry anything else

zharvey

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hello to everyone browsing this thread. I thought I would come back and explain how I fixed the issue.

If you are positive everything is hooked up and installed correctly, the problem is more than likely your power supply.

The power supply may have the necessary wattage for powering your device, but could lack in other areas such as amps (which many product pages don't have info for). If you decided to buy a relatively cheap power supply, this is more than likely your issue.

I built a PC with a GTX 970 and AMD FX 8 core CPU. The PSU was 650w, which was more than enough in terms of wattage, but I ran into the same issue because I decided to use a $50 PSU.

rafaelgduarte

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
To anyone who came here as the result of a Google search (like I did), my problem was that one of the the RAM sticks wasn't properly inserted.
I don't know how it happened because I clearly heard the "click" it normally does when the stick is fully inserted and locked in place. Anyway, I removed one stick and my computer booted fine. Then I reinserted the stick I had removed and made sure it was properly inserted, and again the computer booted normally.

Hope it helps anyone else who came here desperate like I was :)

Ryan_194

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
My new computer worked fine until I started tidying up the cables, and I moved the CPU power cable to another spot on my modular PSU thinking it was exactly the same. After reading this thread, I moved it back where it was before and it's working again. Thanks Moornix and Spat55 for their responses as this helped me to solve my problem.

Duff72

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

This post/reply maybe 4 years old but my derp self did exactly this. Thank you. lol

Mine didn't fall out I actually had to remove it to replace the current GPU power with a newer cable for a newer GPU. I blame excitement on my mistake. xD

VonHamersmark

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

I appreciate that you took your time to post this conclusion. I had the same issue. Everything plugged well but the pc won't boot when an extra fan was added. The PSU is in deed a cheap one, and this might be the problem. I'll just not plug the other fan.