Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer turns on for a split second then shuts off

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 28, 2012 5:29:50 PM

What's happening is when I try to start the computer it turns on and shuts off immediately. Case fans, CPU fan, GCard fan, case LEDs and PSU fan all turn on for that half second. If I press the power button again, nothing happens.. The only way I can get it to attempt to startup again is if I turn the socket on the wall off and on again but it still does the same Thing.


I built this computer last Wednesday everything was working fine then yesterday the PC would not turn on, it did what I explained above. To fix it all i had to do was change the socket on the wall and it booted up fine. Today the same thing happened except the quick fix did not work.

I have tested the psu using the paper clip and it runs fine.I just cant figure out how yesterday i could play BF3 and today it wont't turn on.

Some other things that might be worth mentioning:
I installed an extra 2x4GB Ram yesterday
The motherboard power led acts weird e.g takes 30 sec for it to turn of after turn psu off at the back

Specs:
amd phenom ii x4 965 BE
Corsair GS600
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Komputerbay 4x4Gb 1333Mhz Ram
Sapphire HD 6870

Thanks,
August 28, 2012 5:45:20 PM

Definitely the RAM. Take out each stick, put one in, and do a boot-up test.
August 28, 2012 5:46:46 PM

Make sure that your CPU power header is plugged in, i made that mistake before :lol:  might have fallen out?
Related resources
August 28, 2012 5:47:21 PM

NuClArPeNgUiN said:
What's happening is when I try to start the computer it turns on and shuts off immediately. Case fans, CPU fan, GCard fan, case LEDs and PSU fan all turn on for that half second. If I press the power button again, nothing happens.. The only way I can get it to attempt to startup again is if I turn the socket on the wall off and on again but it still does the same Thing.


I built this computer last Wednesday everything was working fine then yesterday the PC would not turn on, it did what I explained above. To fix it all i had to do was change the socket on the wall and it booted up fine. Today the same thing happened except the quick fix did not work.

I have tested the psu using the paper clip and it runs fine.I just cant figure out how yesterday i could play BF3 and today it wont't turn on.

Some other things that might be worth mentioning:
I installed an extra 2x4GB Ram yesterday
The motherboard power led acts weird e.g takes 30 sec for it to turn of after turn psu off at the back

Specs:
amd phenom ii x4 965 BE
Corsair GS600
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Komputerbay 4x4Gb 1333Mhz Ram
Sapphire HD 6870

Thanks,


I had a similar problem for a recent build for a friend. The problem turned out to be the standoff the case manufacturer told me to put in was shorting the mobo. As the case already had risers for the mobo. So I would check that first just to see.
August 28, 2012 5:56:57 PM

Thanks for the reply's

obsama1 I tried what you said i toke all the stick out then just put one in but still no luck even with no ram in the same thing happens

yarmock Atm the Mobo is out of the case on a sheet of cardboard so that's not the problem

Spat55 Yes the cpu power header is in, weirdly though if i plug it out and power up it stays on
August 28, 2012 6:40:36 PM

NuClArPeNgUiN said:
Thanks for the reply's

obsama1 I tried what you said i toke all the stick out then just put one in but still no luck even with no ram in the same thing happens

yarmock Atm the Mobo is out of the case on a sheet of cardboard so that's not the problem

Spat55 Yes the cpu power header is in, weirdly though if i plug it out and power up it stays on


That is odd, try googling it? Don't know what that means!


August 28, 2012 6:55:02 PM

Either the mobo shorting thing or:

The heatsink isn't seated correctly. Try reseating it or using a different one.
August 28, 2012 7:09:23 PM

Collywozzle said:
Either the mobo shorting thing or:

The heatsink isn't seated correctly. Try reseating it or using a different one.


I don't see how this could be the problem as it was working fine for nearly a week?
August 28, 2012 7:25:25 PM

Also I have noticed if i turn the psu off at the back and short the power switch it powers on for half a second
August 28, 2012 7:37:15 PM

NuClArPeNgUiN said:
I don't see how this could be the problem as it was working fine for nearly a week?


Reason here is that even if it may run fine, the seating can actually cause issues for booting. You may boot up and it work alright, but if it either trips the failsafes or shorts a connection on the board (less likely these days) it will prevent the boot. Note that if you try to boot without a heatsink it probably wont work and may beep or something (depending on mobo). However from my experience an incorrectly seated one can prevent boot but not show the usual signs.

This was more of an issue 10 years ago - things have advanced somewhat since - but imo, is worth checking. reseating stuff like that is an easy check.
August 28, 2012 7:39:27 PM

Collywozzle said:
Reason here is that even if it may run fine, the seating can actually cause issues for booting. You may boot up and it work alright, but if it either trips the failsafes or shorts a connection on the board (less likely these days) it will prevent the boot. Note that if you try to boot without a heatsink it probably wont work and may beep or something (depending on mobo). However from my experience an incorrectly seated one can prevent boot but not show the usual signs.

This was more of an issue 10 years ago - things have advanced somewhat since - but imo, is worth checking. reseating stuff like that is an easy check.


Should I take out the cpu aswell?
August 28, 2012 8:27:22 PM

Ok i reseated the heatsink but still no luck D: any chance the Motherboard is dead?
August 28, 2012 8:34:28 PM

A similar thing happened to me, then I discovered I accidentally plugged the CPU power into the 8 pin PCIe power connector on my modular PSU. Switching the connection to the right place fixed everything. Is it possible that this happened to you?
August 28, 2012 8:43:59 PM

moornix said:
A similar thing happened to me, then I discovered I accidentally plugged the CPU power into the 8 pin PCIe power connector on my modular PSU. Switching the connection to the right place fixed everything. Is it possible that this happened to you?


sadly no both are labeled pci-e and cpu so frustrating :fou: 
August 29, 2012 3:08:20 PM

Is it possible the motherboard is dead?
August 29, 2012 3:15:29 PM

On the power supply plug I have a 2 pin to 3 pin to fit the socket on my wall could that be the issue?? Because i can recall that there was a surge warning that came up a few days prier to this before the boot screen.
August 29, 2012 5:11:20 PM

NuClArPeNgUiN said:
Thanks for the reply's

obsama1 I tried what you said i toke all the stick out then just put one in but still no luck even with no ram in the same thing happens

yarmock Atm the Mobo is out of the case on a sheet of cardboard so that's not the problem

Spat55 Yes the cpu power header is in, weirdly though if i plug it out and power up it stays on



I had that same exact problem. Its a dead motherboard. I RMA'ed mine to MSI and got a new one. But be forewarned, when mine died, it also took the CPU with it, so consider the possibility that it fried the CPU as well..
August 29, 2012 5:37:42 PM

velosteraptor said:
I had that same exact problem. Its a dead motherboard. I RMA'ed mine to MSI and got a new one. But be forewarned, when mine died, it also took the CPU with it, so consider the possibility that it fried the CPU as well..


Hopefully that is not the case with me :S I did the paperclip test on my PSU it passed with 1 fan attached but failed with 2 so I'm returning it. I'm praying that it didn't take anything else with it xD :L
August 31, 2012 12:03:18 PM

NuClArPeNgUiN said:
Hopefully that is not the case with me :S I did the paperclip test on my PSU it passed with 1 fan attached but failed with 2 so I'm returning it. I'm praying that it didn't take anything else with it xD :L



Good Luck haha. Hope it didnt fry anything else
!