Sign in with
Your question

2 x GTX 580's and still 35-40 fps ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2012 12:28:56 PM

Last weekend i upgraded my rig to accomadate 2 x EVGA GTX 580's, as my last mobo(Asus M4A89TD Pro) would not support SLI, so I bought the Asus Crosshair V Formula. So far, so good.
I also use EVGA Precision X primarily because I'm not 'Bill Gates Jr.' when it comes to overclocking etc. I'm a PC Gamer, if I could get it done with a hamster on a treadmill, i would.
My problem is that I set the Frame Rate Target to 70 fps, click 'Enable', click 'Sync', set fan speed to 'Auto', it's seeing both cards, I have the SLI enabled on the Nvidia Control panel so the Precision X is seeing both cards.
Then.... I load up BF3, set the gfx to 'Ultra' ( the single 580 used to handle this fairly well as long as I set the Antialiasing no higher than x2) and w/ the onscreen monitoring on, I see my fps drop to 35-40 sometimes !
I thought 2 cards should EASILY keep me over 60 fps.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

More about : gtx 580 fps

a b Î Nvidia
July 10, 2012 12:32:11 PM

What resolution do you game at? Also, sometimes, the SLI bridge can cause issues, one time I had my build acting funny, I just flipped the SLI bridge and it worked, but it could be different for you. I would also try reinstalling the drivers of the cards.

Also, what are you system specs like CPU, RAM and such? It could be a CPU bottleneck since you said it handled a single one fine. Try OC your CPU to see if it helps.
m
l
July 10, 2012 12:47:27 PM

You should be able to run B3 on Ultra settings with 2x GTX 580's -- but sometimes FPS may drop a bit as you say. What is the FPS you get most of time?
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 1:05:22 PM

Disable VSync!!! You should get much better performance!

I don't mean to brag but my GTX560 Ti SLI config is killing BF3 (getting a constant above 60FPS at ultra. I set AAX4 and have a few dips here and there but your GTX580 shouldn't even flinch at this. Little FYI: If you have AAX4 in SLI, each card will seperate the AA between each other meaning that each card will apply AAX2...AAX16 would split AAX8 between each other...and so on...

That said, my system is pretty solid (no bottlenecks here). Like El Trigre said, you most likely have a bottleneck (if you've already reinstalled your Nvidia drivers).

Gaming performance can be quite complexe at times (aka finding your bottlenecks). BF3 is CPU heavy (referring to huge multiplayer maps with 64 players). RAM is pretty important also when it comes to huge maps. Loading time can be dramatically reduced by installing the game on a SDD instead of an HDD. And then you get to your mobo's FSB and the interaction between all components...which I won't get into until you provide us with your system specs.

So...try Vsync = OFF and let us know how that went, ya?
m
l
July 10, 2012 1:07:33 PM

Also, just noticed you were using precision X...which is a good software but try testing everything at stock first. OCing your SLI config may lower your results (i.e. OCing your cards without upping the voltage will at some point reduce performance below stock level or simply become extrememly unstable). Anyways, another thing I won't get into...

That said, you're saying that you're "not a Bill Gates of Overclocking" which I won't judge you on...but realize that overclocking is pushing your hardware above the limit it was originally intended and therefor OCing is something you really want to understand before you push your system. I say this because lots of people download these OC software and drag the bar way higher than they should (on stock cooling) and end up damaging their 500+$ cards only to find out that they won't be reimbursed because OCing the card voids the warranty. I'm not saying you would do that but if you were, I'd suggest reading lots and understanding as much as you can about OCing your card before you actually do it. Might save you lots of frustration and $$$ :na: 
m
l
July 10, 2012 1:10:39 PM

Campaign mode, my rig in ultra on 1080p can hit 205 fps at times...
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:30:30 PM

In the precision x software there is an option to increase your voltage. If you increase your clock speeds to high then you need to increase the voltage also.
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:43:53 PM

FRANKENST3IN II:

Case: Cooler Master Haf X

Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

CPU cooling: Corsair H 100

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4) 1600 (although the system reads it as 1333)

RAM cooling: OCZ dual fan RAM cooler

VGA: EVGA GTX 580 3 GB x 2

Sound card: Asus Xonar Xense Premium

Optical drive: Plextor PX B940SA

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB (Win 7 Pro, Precision X, drivers and system apps only)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD (Steam, Origin and some hard copy games, which is all I do w/ this rig. I have a laptop for all the other stuff)

PSU: OCZ ZX 1250 W

Monitor: Asus VG236H 23" 120 Hz w/ Nvidia 3D transmitter & glasses ( I'm NOT running BF3((or anything else at this point)) in 3D and do not have it enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel) and I run the res at 1920X1080 (native res)

Keyboard: Logitech G 19

Mouse: Cooler Master Sentinel Z3RO G

That's it. It took a long time to save for and build but I'm a gamer and this is what i do. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
- Lhotse
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 10, 2012 2:50:15 PM

Quote:

at stock speed your cpu definitely going to hold down your GTX580 SLi performance
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 10, 2012 2:52:08 PM

want the sad truth. AMD's newest processors aren't any faster than what they made 3 years ago. My old q9550/775 is quicker. Having said that, you should have upgraded to an i" series processor and board instead of buying a new card and new mobo.
m
l
July 10, 2012 3:24:32 PM

CPU's not the best but it's not half bad either. Maybe you could benchmark your system while playing and see how much load is on your CPU. if it's constant 80%+ then you've found your bottleneck. To be honest, I don't think your CPU is to blame (or is it?).

Here's a link to how an ultimate system should perform with BF3. Look at the GTX 590 which should perform slightly under your GTX 580 SLI config. As you can see, a single 580GTX should give you around 50+FPS AVG with a few dips when CPU's struggleling. That's with AAX4! While the GTX 590 (your 580SLI) should give your an AVG of 80+FPS. They did it with a crazy CPU though...so.

Ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-ben...

Have you installed the latest nvidia drivers? These should give you the most out of your SLI config:

Windows 7 64 bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-3...
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:10:04 PM

renz496 said:
Quote:

at stock speed your cpu definitely going to hold down your GTX580 SLi performance

Since you bought a k version sandy and have a aftermarket cooler, why don't you work on the @ stock in your sig instead??
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 10, 2012 7:11:07 PM

I wish i had two 580 quit complaining and be happy :lol: 
m
l
July 10, 2012 8:29:29 PM

zloginet said:
Since you bought a k version sandy and have a aftermarket cooler, why don't you work on the @ stock in your sig instead??

Feisty!!!
m
l
July 10, 2012 9:02:16 PM

Adaptive Vsync works like a champ, I use it or regular Vsync for every modern game I play. Best way to enjoy the game :) 
m
l
July 10, 2012 9:11:11 PM

Quote:
his motherboard (renz496) isn't the greatest of motherboards for overclocking.
it's only a 4+1+1 phase (VRM) board.
if he pushes it too hard first without capping the voltage it will blow.

rather play it safe than sorry.
(or get a better motherboard next time.)

Well that makes three interesting items then... A k series i5 SB with a decent aftermarket cooler on a wuss of a overclocking board.... ALL @ stock lol

Sad thing is, still prolly faster then my rig... err Intel lol
m
l
July 11, 2012 12:44:24 PM

akamrcrack said:
Adaptive Vsync works like a champ, I use it or regular Vsync for every modern game I play. Best way to enjoy the game :) 

Agreed (as long as you can still get your avg +50FPS). For me, more FPS is worth more than the occasional screen tearing. *but that's just a personal preference*

In fact, if you're getting a MAX FPS below 60FPS (most screens are 60Hz) then you probably won't experience much tearing.

So if running a game with AVG 30FPS, it would make no sense to have VSync (or adaptive) on as you're loosing frames without any true benefits.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 14, 2012 11:23:46 AM

zloginet said:

because i don't have reason to do so :D 
m
l
July 21, 2012 6:12:15 AM

End result.... I downloaded AI Suite II and used the 'Auto/Extreme' tab to OC the CPU 16% up to 3692 Ghz, stopped using the 'Framerate Target' feature and increased the voltage to 1.101, the GPU Clock 841 Mhz, ( the Memory Clock is already preset to 2004 Mhz), clicked 'Sync' and 'Accept' and then the most obvious thing i overlooked, (try not to laugh) i went into my Nvidia Control Panel and opened the Change Resolution tab and set the refresh to 120 Hz.
Problem solved. It varies from 120.1 - 118 fps or so.
I wish I could OC the CPU manually to 4.2-4.3 Hell, even 4.0 would be nice but I just don't know how.
Thanks to everyone for their input. :sol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2012 11:31:08 AM

^ awesome to bad i don't have dual 580 :(  "kicks the dirt"... :lol: 
m
l
July 21, 2012 9:05:09 PM

Quote:
I can walk you through the manual overclock, and @ 4.0GHz is way too too easy to do.
let me know if you wanna go at it.?

any day Mon - Fri after 5 p.m. e.s.t. or on the weekend , i have a Teamspeak 3 server so send me a PM and i'll send you the address and password
Thanks !
m
l
July 22, 2012 3:18:20 AM

bigcyco1 said:
^ awesome to bad i don't have dual 580 :(  "kicks the dirt"... :lol: 

Dual 570s kicks some serious butt too.......
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 22, 2012 3:22:55 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Dual 570s kicks some serious butt too.......
:lol:  yeah that's true
m
l
!