Folder size info - limited to 999 MB?

I've started using some large map files. Just noticed that the status
line in a My Computer window displays 999 MB for anything over that
size (e.g 2.3 GB). Is that a known bug of Win XP? Any work around
please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
7 answers Last reply

    Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

    David Candy wrote:
    > Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

    It is not a "known bug" - if it was a 'known bug', wouldn't your extensive
    Google and Microsoft web page searches turned up something?
    Also - not only is it not a 'known bug' - but it seems to be something
    fairly unique to your system - as i have never seen this question or seen
    this problem before. 999MB is quite a strange number to throw out there. I
    know you cannot have files over 4GB in size in FAT32 environements - but
    NTFS has no such limits (that small.) So, it would be helpful if you could
    post on a web page somewhere a screenshot..

    Side by side on your screen have the DOS window with a DIR showing the true
    size of the file and in the explorer window next to it, with the status bar
    displayed. Also - it wouldn't hurt to right-click and display the
    properties of the file/folder/files..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    No this is not a known bug...

    I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
    size.....

    You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

    YOU try changing YOUR attitude! Obviously, he suspects
    it's a bug, but "why" is not a pro-active statement.
    It's not even re-active; it's stupid and
    counter-productive and uncalled for.\

    When you have nothing to say, that's exactly what you
    should say: NOTHING!

    "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >No this is not a known bug...
    >
    >I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
    >size.....
    >
    >You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......

    Thanks, looks like it then, if no one else can reproduce the
    behaviour. FWIW, this was a DVD drive folder I was exploring. Just
    been trying to find an individual folder on my *HD* that contains over
    1 GB, to se if same fault present, but so far haven't done so. Of
    course, My Computer reports size of root files, excluding subfolders.

    I'll reboot (rare occurrence here) and try again.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    I've had this [similar] happen to my mp3 folder several times which is in
    excess of 30gb when i select the folder i can hear the computer calculating
    the disk space but instead of an accurate number it seems to just "give up"
    and display Greater Than; "xGB" I didn't lose any sleep over it, there are a
    couple of other ways to view the size of a folder that are faster than
    windows explorer. The cmd interface was mentioned i noticed. You can right
    click the folder/properties and wait for it to count up the files.

    > "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No this is not a known bug...
    > >
    > >I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
    > >size.....
    > >
    > >You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......
    >
    > Thanks, looks like it then, if no one else can reproduce the
    > behaviour. FWIW, this was a DVD drive folder I was exploring. Just
    > been trying to find an individual folder on my *HD* that contains over
    > 1 GB, to se if same fault present, but so far haven't done so. Of
    > course, My Computer reports size of root files, excluding subfolders.
    >
    > I'll reboot (rare occurrence here) and try again.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    It will only waste 2 secs at a time calculating. Reshow the tip to get another 2 secs.