tigerlion

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
will ati radeon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 support on ddr2 motherboards? my friends are fearing me that this gpu will not support on this motherboard. my motherboard is msi boston version 1.0 and chipset intel g31 chipset family. i also have an integrated graphics card untel gma x3100 256 mb. please help me :cry: :cry: but in my this motherboard , there is 1 pciex16 graphics slot available, but when i asked to my friends ,they told me that ddr2 and ddr3 motherboards have different pciex16 slots. is it true?

bucknutty

Distinguished
The mother board uses ddr2. The video card has its own ram maybe ddr3 or 5. They are completely independent of each other. So as long as your mother board has the correct PCI-e slot for the video card it does not matter what kind of GPU or Ram the video card has.

tigerlion

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

intel core2duo E7400 and clockspeed is 2.80 ghz

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
A motherboard will support any kind of DDR rating on a graphics card.

There are 2 separate systems:

GPU VRAM

Motherboard RAM

Both are independant, the GPU vRAM is on the graphics card, and the ram is on your motherboard.

VRAM helps the graphics card with high resolution graphics, and has no relation to your motherboards RAM.

Your motherboard will support DDR/DDR2/DDR3/GDDR5 Graphics cards, I mean, putting a card that has GDDR5 on a DDR2 board is unnecessary because GDDR5 cards are usually too powerfull for DDR2 era Processors.

tigerlion

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

you first told that gpu is independant from motherboards then why did you told that it is unnecessary to put gddr5 gpu on ddr2 motherboards?my ram is 4gb ddr2

bucknutty

Distinguished
A 6670 would be a good fit for your core2, you would get a huge increase in game or other 3d performance. I think Austin was trying to advise you against dropping 400 on a high end GPU because your older platform would prohibit it from reaching its full potential.

G

He doesn't mean it's incompatible he's saying that it's like purchasing a gold toilet for an outhouse. It's a waste.
Although I don't share his opinion.

tigerlion

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

then whats the problem with buying 6770? and why 6670?6670 has less speed then 6770.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Too many 6s and 7s. Its hard to type on a portable device.

My point is get what ever video card you would like. You orginally mentioned the 6770. That is a great card and would pair well with your CPU mother board combo.

I would get the biggest fastest meanest GPU in your budget.