Computer Shutting off Playing Games

kylebrannick

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Hey everyone,
I seem to have the same problems that countless other people have reported, which is my computer shuts off while I'm playing graphically intense games. Recently I started playing Dead Island and the problem is worst than ever.

My specs:
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
5 SATA Hard Drives

I thought the issue was heat related, as it has started recently and the temperatures have been hotter than ever, but the last shut-off Speedfan recorded the following temps:

Temp1 Temp2 HD4 HD0 HD1 HD2 CPU MB GPU Core
54 44 32 37 37 37 54 44 72 0

which are warm, but I wouldn't expect them to be critical shutdown temperatures. I have recently cleaned out my entire case and re-applied thermal paste to my GPU and CPU which hasn't seemed to help. My only guess at this stage is maybe my power supply is suddenly not good enough? Is there anyway I can tell without spending a few hundred dollars on a new one? Are those temperatures high enough for my motherboard to stop working?

Solution
Download a tool called CPUID HWmonitor. This will give you an indication of all sorts of things in your computer including voltages. Install this and benchtest your system using Prime95 and/or Furmark.

I have a 850W Silent Pro and stopped using once I found out it started with a low voltage and this dropped below ATX spec when it was loaded up.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Download a tool called CPUID HWmonitor. This will give you an indication of all sorts of things in your computer including voltages. Install this and benchtest your system using Prime95 and/or Furmark.

I have a 850W Silent Pro and stopped using once I found out it started with a low voltage and this dropped below ATX spec when it was loaded up.

Solution

tech3475

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
LAst time I had my computer shut down during games it was a fried GPU, try taking the case out, leave the side panel off and up the speed of the fans (this was how I identified the problem).

If it doesn't happen it could mean something's gone.

rainbueza

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
I agree with pauls3743. I had a problem like that before. I used furmark and while stress testing my gpu, it will automatically shuts off after a few minutes. Then I replaced my PSU and the problem is solved.

kylebrannick

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks heaps for the quick replies guys. I will definitely run those test at some point today and try and confirm the PSU issue and report back. I just installed CPUID, but strangely it's not registering my CPU core temperatures, but since Speedfan is matching what I see in the BIOS, I think this is likely just an issue with this tool and not the sensors on the motherboard.

Assuming that Furmark proves that the issue is with the PSU, what size should I get for the specs above? I have had issues with power supplies in the past, so I thought that I splashed out and got a really good one this time (and to be fair I haven't had any issues for over a year now). Is there a good rule of thumb for how much wattage to have? Any brands to recommend/avoid?

Thanks again for the responses, I will try and post my testing results back here by the end of the day.

kylebrannick

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I just ran Furmark and got the following results: http://imgur.com/PEcWP

My +3.3V dropped down to .495V at it's worst, which I think means that I definitely have a PSU issue. Can someone please confirm that I'm reading these results correctly? Thanks in advance for all the great and quick help everyone.

kylebrannick

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Managed to fix it in the end for anyone curious. It was the PSU, as suspected and shown by the tests, but I was actually able to switch where the graphic's card was getting it's power from the PSU (since it's set up to handle multiple cards), and it's working like a charm now.

Definitely stoked I don't need to shill out for a completely new PSU, thanks for all the help, hope this thread helps the next guy having the same problems.

TRENDING THREADS