Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Gaming System. How's it look?

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 8:04:39 PM

Been a few years since I've purchased a gaming computer and have never self-built one. Been doing quite bait of research on how to built a computer and it seems pretty simple so I'm giving it a go. I was looking to spend $1500 and I didn't even realize how much better of a rig I can get self-builting but here are the pieces. I'm open to all criticism, I used these forums and a lot of other reviews for these choices but I gladly appreciate any feedback. NOTE: I went with the 16gb ram because of it's bang for the buck and for future proofing, I do understand it's overkill for games currently.

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Mobo - ASUS Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V PRO

GPU - GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory Modules 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800)

SSD - Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive

Storage Drive - Western Digital 1 TB WD Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive

Power - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply

Heat Sink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

Optical Drive - LG Electronics GH24NS90B 24 X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive - Bulk without Software - Black

Total Cost: $1523 with Free Shipping on every item

-Ironmen

More about : 1500 gaming system

August 28, 2012 8:34:40 PM

Save a little money for pretty much the same performance!

Check out my $1100 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Swap the 7950 for the 7970 (+100):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total: $1191

You'll get a better GPU, a similar SSD and equivalent PSU for all less. The motherboard as well will perform the same for less:

Asus overpriced and underperforms:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...

7970 vs GTX 670:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

As regards to the 16GB of ram, games should never require that much. Your GPU has a lot of VRAM already, in particular the 7970 and 7950 both have 3GB of VRAM so it'd use all of that before itd start using up your DRAM.
m
l
August 28, 2012 8:36:23 PM

Looks very good, with couple of minor points.
Obsidian is an excellent case. Built like a tank. It is quite heavy. Obviously, not an issue, if it's going to "sit there". Bit more of an issue if you need to move it around.
Performance of Kingston SSD is fairly good, but for reliability would prefer Samsung 830, or Crucial M4. I take it you've got peripherals (monitor/keyboard/mouse/operating system).
Happy building.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 9:45:47 PM

aznshinobi said:
Save a little money for pretty much the same performance!

Check out my $1100 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Swap the 7950 for the 7970 (+100):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total: $1191

You'll get a better GPU, a similar SSD and equivalent PSU for all less. The motherboard as well will perform the same for less:

Asus overpriced and underperforms:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...

7970 vs GTX 670:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

As regards to the 16GB of ram, games should never require that much. Your GPU has a lot of VRAM already, in particular the 7970 and 7950 both have 3GB of VRAM so it'd use all of that before itd start using up your DRAM.

Squidoo link just seems to go to squidoo ad. I know it's swings and roundabouts between 7970 and 670. 7970 has better compute ability so scores well in games that need it, and at high resolutions. The 670 generally performs well at popular 1920x1080, and in some of the most popular games, like BF3, and skyrim. Call it an honourable draw.
m
l
August 28, 2012 10:56:48 PM

ironmen234 said:
Been a few years since I've purchased a gaming computer and have never self-built one. Been doing quite bait of research on how to built a computer and it seems pretty simple so I'm giving it a go. I was looking to spend $1500 and I didn't even realize how much better of a rig I can get self-builting but here are the pieces. I'm open to all criticism, I used these forums and a lot of other reviews for these choices but I gladly appreciate any feedback. NOTE: I went with the 16gb ram because of it's bang for the buck and for future proofing, I do understand it's overkill for games currently.

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Mobo - ASUS Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V PRO

GPU - GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory Modules 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800)

SSD - Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive

Storage Drive - Western Digital 1 TB WD Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive

Power - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply

Heat Sink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

Optical Drive - LG Electronics GH24NS90B 24 X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive - Bulk without Software - Black

Total Cost: $1523 with Free Shipping on every item

-Ironmen

I would change the case to something like a Corsair Carbide 500R or even a 400R, and the motherboard to an Asus z77 Lk or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and with the money saved I would step up to a Sandisk 240GB SSD for $170 @ amazon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/360833-31-build-gamin... <----- To get a few idea's check out the build I posted on there.
m
l
August 28, 2012 10:58:17 PM

I was really in between the Kingston Hyperx 3k and the Samsung 830 but I felt like I heard less negative reviews on the Kingston, but i'll continue doing further research on that.

The whole battle between 7970 an GTX 670 seems like such a toss up, depending on what game you're playing, the price, and overclocking/brand types. I forgot, my total price also includes Windows 7 so deducting that the setup is like $1350. The money I would be saving wouldn't be too drastic but I'll definitely look into a new motherboard. I kept reading about how great the Asus p8z77-V- Pro was and how many are being sold but after looking at that link it's making me question it again.

Roger that Why_Me, I'll look into that. I was checking out the Corsair Carbide 500r so it's definitely an option. Same style and really the only thing missing is window (which I kind of like, but I definitely don't care dropping).
m
l
August 28, 2012 11:50:59 PM

ironmen234 said:
I was really in between the Kingston Hyperx 3k and the Samsung 830 but I felt like I heard less negative reviews on the Kingston, but i'll continue doing further research on that.

The whole battle between 7970 an GTX 670 seems like such a toss up, depending on what game you're playing, the price, and overclocking/brand types. I forgot, my total price also includes Windows 7 so deducting that the setup is like $1350. The money I would be saving wouldn't be too drastic but I'll definitely look into a new motherboard. I kept reading about how great the Asus p8z77-V- Pro was and how many are being sold but after looking at that link it's making me question it again.

Roger that Why_Me, I'll look into that. I was checking out the Corsair Carbide 500r so it's definitely an option. Same style and really the only thing missing is window (which I kind of like, but I definitely don't care dropping).

The 500R doesn't have a window but it has that big honking 200mm LED side fan and it runs cooler than the 650D. The Asus Pro is a good board but it's spendy for what you get. I mean there's cheaper boards out there that are just as solid and have all the features of the Asus Pro. With the RAM, 8GB is over kill for gaming but it's so cheap atm that everyone switched over to 2x4GB sets for future proofing. That still leaves two RAM slots open for a future upgrade to 16GB of RAM. Like you pointed out it comes down to what games you play when deciding on the 670 or 7970. Best thing you can do is google some benchmarks but be wary when you do. The video card battle goes back and forth with driver updates so depending on the date of the review and what drivers they were using for such and such card makes a difference.
m
l
August 29, 2012 12:02:11 AM

I went with 8gbx2 for the 16gb ram, it was rather cheap, I think like $90. The 650d comes with 2x 200mm Fans...unless I've read incorrectly? Weight isn't a big deal to me, it's a desktop, it's sitting there. I have a laptop for being mobile :) .
m
l
August 29, 2012 12:04:07 AM

ironmen234 said:

The most popular SSDs, amongst builders are the Samsung 830, and the Crucial M4, for a reason, reliability.
If the price is the same, there's not much between the 670 & 7970. Personally, I think the 670 is better, overall, at "normal" resolutions, and in the most popular games.
Asus motherboards are probably slightly overpriced, but very good quality. I personally like the V pro, cos I think it's got a good balance between features, and price. I wish it was slightly cheaper, but that applies to everything.
I like both the Obsidian, and the Carbide, it's just the Obsidian is so d*** heavy.
m
l
!