Mobo:Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
CPU: AMD Phenomx4 955 Black edition
SSD: Samsung 830 128gb (boot drive)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb + WD Caviar Green 2tb
GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 x2 crossfire
PSU: Antec HCP-750
RAM: 2x2gb 1333ghz ddr3
and a standard optical drive

My pc has been suffering from random power cut outs more and more frequently recently, or I thought they were random. The power cuts arent like a BSOD restart, its just a straight cut out after which my pc wont turn back on unless I leave it a few minutes, pull the power cable from the back and reinsert. I originally thought they were due to the cpu overheating so I downloaded OCCT and put it under a stress test my cpu maxed out at around 65-66 degree celcius (stock clock and cooler) with no cut outs in 10 minutes. I decided to move on and stress my GPU with these settings:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4D53C3B9FDD0A4F3!322
(Note: I actually put 60 in the "fps" box)

It was at this point that my pc immediately cut out. I decided to take out the crossfire link and unplug the power cables to the second card and start the test again with the same settings, which it completed. Thinking that it was solely due to the crossfire link I decided to try a few games and see the fps I got with just one card (using fraps to benchmark). I started with Diablo 3 and as soon as it went fullscreen the power cut out. I started again, still with one card and without fraps this time, tried to load Diablo 3 again and Bam, same result.

Bizarrely, Diablo 3 has been working ok for me until these random power cuts started happening. Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening?

thexerker

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I do have an Antec TP-650 but ive heard thats unlikely to be able to power the crossfire setup. My HCP-750 is only about 8 weeks old, perhaps I have received a faulty unit?

thexerker

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I just changed the power supply over to the TP-650 which was enough to power the system and the cut outs stopped. All signs point towards it being a bad power supply. Ive got a new HCP-750 coming on warranty.