Cheap desktop to upgrade later on

bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hey everybody,

I currently have a mac, and am sick of never being able to play the games I want. My plan is to continue to use the mac for everything, but to buy a cheap pc desktop for gaming.

I am considering purchasing the HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop and then upgrading the graphics card. Is this a good idea, or are there better options?

Currently, I do not want to take on building my own pc, i know that all of you are going to say its the best option, but I just dont have the time or knowledge to do so. Also, the idea of having no tech support or operating system in the beginning scares me.

I need advice as to what I should buy. Heres some information about my budget and the computers use:

Budget: $400-500, possibly up to $600, but thats my definite max.
What I need: Everything - I need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer, etc.
Computer Use (from most important to least): Gaming, web, possibly school work (mostly word and powerpoint)

I want to use this to play Guild Wars 2 on at least medium settings, and be able to play future expansions when they come out. I'd also like to be able to play other modern games, but I don't need to be able to use the best settings, mid range is perfect.

Once again, I am looking for an affordable gaming desktop that I can easily upgrade in the near future. I'd prefer to avoid making my own, unless it isn't as complicated as I think it is.

Thanks for the advice!

Solution
Any pre-built system you buy will probably need a PSU upgrade before you can upgrade the graphics.

The HP is a good price
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Pavilion/A7F22AV?HP-Pavilion-p7-1380t-Desktop-PC

However, the board will have limited functionality, the PSU will not be adequate for an upgrade, and the case has very poor cooling for a gaming GPU.

You have SEVEN parts to assemble to make your own PC. It's not hard, and there are plenty of guides.

Here is a fully upgradeable system. The monitor you can buy used, locally.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive...

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I suggest watching a couple "Do it yourself" computer build video's on youtube before you completely dismiss the idea of building one.

Generally, pre-built PCs can't handle expansion well, because of their PSU. If you buy the HP desktop, you'll need a new PSU to handle a mid level graphics card. You could get away with a low end graphics card, but you may as well just use integrated graphics at that point.

Any pre-built system you buy will probably need a PSU upgrade before you can upgrade the graphics.

The HP is a good price
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Pavilion/A7F22AV?HP-Pavilion-p7-1380t-Desktop-PC

However, the board will have limited functionality, the PSU will not be adequate for an upgrade, and the case has very poor cooling for a gaming GPU.

You have SEVEN parts to assemble to make your own PC. It's not hard, and there are plenty of guides.

Here is a fully upgradeable system. The monitor you can buy used, locally.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11192-22-20G)
AMD Free WinZip Pro 16 Coupon
Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
ASRock B75M-GL LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G860
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
TOTAL: $512.90

Solution

bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks Proximon, this advice has been really helpful.

Based on what you said, I think I might try to build my own computer.
It seems like it would be much easier to upgrade the video card and processor later on.

Do you think a build like this would be able to run a game like Guild Wars 2?

Here are the requirements:

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

Yes, the build exceeds those minimum requirements by a good bit.

The CPU appears in the TH article recently done:

CPU%20Cores.png

And the GPU is there as well:
best%20perf%201920%20B.png

If you want to have better graphics you will need more GPU though
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-5.html