Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cheap desktop to upgrade later on

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 8:27:56 PM

Hey everybody,

I currently have a mac, and am sick of never being able to play the games I want. My plan is to continue to use the mac for everything, but to buy a cheap pc desktop for gaming.

I am considering purchasing the HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop and then upgrading the graphics card. Is this a good idea, or are there better options?

Currently, I do not want to take on building my own pc, i know that all of you are going to say its the best option, but I just dont have the time or knowledge to do so. Also, the idea of having no tech support or operating system in the beginning scares me.

I need advice as to what I should buy. Heres some information about my budget and the computers use:

Budget: $400-500, possibly up to $600, but thats my definite max.
What I need: Everything - I need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer, etc.
Computer Use (from most important to least): Gaming, web, possibly school work (mostly word and powerpoint)

I want to use this to play Guild Wars 2 on at least medium settings, and be able to play future expansions when they come out. I'd also like to be able to play other modern games, but I don't need to be able to use the best settings, mid range is perfect.

Once again, I am looking for an affordable gaming desktop that I can easily upgrade in the near future. I'd prefer to avoid making my own, unless it isn't as complicated as I think it is.

Thanks for the advice!

More about : cheap desktop upgrade

August 28, 2012 8:56:47 PM

I suggest watching a couple "Do it yourself" computer build video's on youtube before you completely dismiss the idea of building one.

Generally, pre-built PCs can't handle expansion well, because of their PSU. If you buy the HP desktop, you'll need a new PSU to handle a mid level graphics card. You could get away with a low end graphics card, but you may as well just use integrated graphics at that point.

Best solution

August 28, 2012 9:07:59 PM
Related resources
August 28, 2012 9:20:06 PM

Thanks Proximon, this advice has been really helpful.

Based on what you said, I think I might try to build my own computer.
It seems like it would be much easier to upgrade the video card and processor later on.

Do you think a build like this would be able to run a game like Guild Wars 2?

Here are the requirements:

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse
August 28, 2012 9:21:16 PM

Best answer selected by bgt123.
August 29, 2012 2:54:37 AM

Thanks for all of your help!
!