Cheap desktop to upgrade later on

Hey everybody,

I currently have a mac, and am sick of never being able to play the games I want. My plan is to continue to use the mac for everything, but to buy a cheap pc desktop for gaming.

I am considering purchasing the HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop and then upgrading the graphics card. Is this a good idea, or are there better options?

Currently, I do not want to take on building my own pc, i know that all of you are going to say its the best option, but I just dont have the time or knowledge to do so. Also, the idea of having no tech support or operating system in the beginning scares me.

I need advice as to what I should buy. Heres some information about my budget and the computers use:

Budget: $400-500, possibly up to $600, but thats my definite max.
What I need: Everything - I need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer, etc.
Computer Use (from most important to least): Gaming, web, possibly school work (mostly word and powerpoint)

I want to use this to play Guild Wars 2 on at least medium settings, and be able to play future expansions when they come out. I'd also like to be able to play other modern games, but I don't need to be able to use the best settings, mid range is perfect.

Once again, I am looking for an affordable gaming desktop that I can easily upgrade in the near future. I'd prefer to avoid making my own, unless it isn't as complicated as I think it is.

Thanks for the advice!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cheap desktop upgrade
  1. I suggest watching a couple "Do it yourself" computer build video's on youtube before you completely dismiss the idea of building one.

Generally, pre-built PCs can't handle expansion well, because of their PSU. If you buy the HP desktop, you'll need a new PSU to handle a mid level graphics card. You could get away with a low end graphics card, but you may as well just use integrated graphics at that point.
  2. Best answer
  3. Thanks Proximon, this advice has been really helpful.

Based on what you said, I think I might try to build my own computer.
    It seems like it would be much easier to upgrade the video card and processor later on.

Do you think a build like this would be able to run a game like Guild Wars 2?

Here are the requirements:

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
    2 GB RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    25 GB available HDD space
    Broadband Internet connection
    Keyboard and mouse
  4. Best answer selected by bgt123.
  5. Yes, the build exceeds those minimum requirements by a good bit.

The CPU appears in the TH article recently done:

And the GPU is there as well:

If you want to have better graphics you will need more GPU though,3268-5.html
  6. Thanks for all of your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Desktops Macintosh Systems