Building a New Computer

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice on what components you think I should buy for my new PC. I will be going into my final year at university in England, studying Web Programming. It is entirely possible that 2 or 3 of Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, Fireworks CS5, Photoshop CS5, Visual Studio 2008/2010 and SQL Server Manangement Studio will be open and running tasks at one time. On top of this I love train simulation (Trainz 2012), which gave a minimum spec of 3.4GHz to run properly. I also play worms bejeweled blitz, will have the entire Office 2010 suite on, and web servers - XAMPP, WAMP etc...

Below is a spec my friend built me when we sat together for a couple of hours and although it was explained to me at the time, I dont remember the important question when choosing each component - "Why?". I aim, before ordering anything to have a reason for "Why?" for each component listed down in my spreadsheet of components, because for me coming to building a PC for the first time, it feels as if I just took hit number 1 of Amazon, I have no reason I chose the part other than it "looked good".

Spec:-

Monitor
2 x Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight (16:9, 100,000,000:1, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, HDMI/DVI) - Black

Case
1 x CM Storm Enforcer Case

Power Supply Unit
1 x OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply

CPU
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Motherboard
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Memory
2 x G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory

Graphics
1 x GTX 550 or GTX650 when available (Sept 2012)

DVD
1 x Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVD Write Optical Drive | OEM

HDD
1 x 1TB Hard Drive. Approx 7400RPM.

Can anyone suggest what they would also recommend for my needs. But crucially also why? I cant help but be drawn to the 700W PSU, the i-7 etc, but with no reason, I just keep thinking bigger is better. My budget is max £800-900.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Mike.
5 answers Last reply
More about building computer
  1. Forgive me, I hadnt seen the how to post for help sticky. I will update with the correct format tomorrow.

Cheers!
    Mike.
  2. I am not a big fan of the power supply I would go with a more reliable brand like corsair, antec, xfx, seasonic.

If you plan to overclock since you selected an unlocked cpu you will need a CPU cooler I like the cm hyper 212 evo.

I am also a fan for having an SSD drive for your OS and games (speed) but this depends on your budget.

You are picking a very low end GPU. Try to get a gtx 660ti if you can manage it would be better. But since you didn't list a Budget it is hard to pick options for you.
  3. Rumors say the 650 will be OEM only, so scratch that idea.
  4. Hi,

Cheers for the speedy reply!! My budget is tops £800-900, if it has to be though, £1000 is possible. No plans to overclock...yet. Also can anyone confirm whether this setup will for sure run 2 HD screens at HD resolution? I dont fully understand how two screens can be run in HD with 1 HD port?

Thanks!

Mike.
  5. You can run 2 HD screens if you get a video card with multiple DVI/HDMI ports.
    Also, I am currently using this power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703036
    it does everything I want it to quite well.

EDIT: Also, I use the GeForce 550Ti and it runs most games quite well, also i use 2 24" HD Monitors and it runs just fine, i have a mini HDMI and DVI hooked up through the monitors with another DVI port to spare.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product