Sign in with
Your question

Building a New Computer

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 8:27:01 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice on what components you think I should buy for my new PC. I will be going into my final year at university in England, studying Web Programming. It is entirely possible that 2 or 3 of Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, Fireworks CS5, Photoshop CS5, Visual Studio 2008/2010 and SQL Server Manangement Studio will be open and running tasks at one time. On top of this I love train simulation (Trainz 2012), which gave a minimum spec of 3.4GHz to run properly. I also play worms bejeweled blitz, will have the entire Office 2010 suite on, and web servers - XAMPP, WAMP etc...

Below is a spec my friend built me when we sat together for a couple of hours and although it was explained to me at the time, I dont remember the important question when choosing each component - "Why?". I aim, before ordering anything to have a reason for "Why?" for each component listed down in my spreadsheet of components, because for me coming to building a PC for the first time, it feels as if I just took hit number 1 of Amazon, I have no reason I chose the part other than it "looked good".

Spec:-

Monitor
2 x Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight (16:9, 100,000,000:1, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, HDMI/DVI) - Black

Case
1 x CM Storm Enforcer Case

Power Supply Unit
1 x OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply

CPU
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Motherboard
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Memory
2 x G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory

Graphics
1 x GTX 550 or GTX650 when available (Sept 2012)

DVD
1 x Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVD Write Optical Drive | OEM

HDD
1 x 1TB Hard Drive. Approx 7400RPM.

Can anyone suggest what they would also recommend for my needs. But crucially also why? I cant help but be drawn to the 700W PSU, the i-7 etc, but with no reason, I just keep thinking bigger is better. My budget is max £800-900.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Mike.

More about : building computer

August 28, 2012 8:34:27 PM

Forgive me, I hadnt seen the how to post for help sticky. I will update with the correct format tomorrow.

Cheers!
Mike.
August 28, 2012 8:42:01 PM

I am not a big fan of the power supply I would go with a more reliable brand like corsair, antec, xfx, seasonic.

If you plan to overclock since you selected an unlocked cpu you will need a CPU cooler I like the cm hyper 212 evo.

I am also a fan for having an SSD drive for your OS and games (speed) but this depends on your budget.

You are picking a very low end GPU. Try to get a gtx 660ti if you can manage it would be better. But since you didn't list a Budget it is hard to pick options for you.
Related resources
August 28, 2012 8:44:52 PM

Rumors say the 650 will be OEM only, so scratch that idea.
August 30, 2012 7:30:29 AM

Hi,

Cheers for the speedy reply!! My budget is tops £800-900, if it has to be though, £1000 is possible. No plans to overclock...yet. Also can anyone confirm whether this setup will for sure run 2 HD screens at HD resolution? I dont fully understand how two screens can be run in HD with 1 HD port?

Thanks!

Mike.
August 30, 2012 7:58:54 AM

You can run 2 HD screens if you get a video card with multiple DVI/HDMI ports.
Also, I am currently using this power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it does everything I want it to quite well.

EDIT: Also, I use the GeForce 550Ti and it runs most games quite well, also i use 2 24" HD Monitors and it runs just fine, i have a mini HDMI and DVI hooked up through the monitors with another DVI port to spare.
!