Burnt out power supply. Is anything else damaged?

shoozter

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys so earlier today my pc was running fine. Right before leaving I turned off my pc and when I came back a couple hours later when trying to turn my pc back on it powered up real quick and turned off but the lights on my keyboard and mouse were still on. Shortly after it seem'd that the power in my room shut off for a quick second and came back. Tried powering back on and nothing. I then notice'd a weird smell coming from the power supply so I quickly removed it. I'm sure it's safe to say that my power supply has burnt out but would this have damaged any of my other components such as my video card or mobo? Please help.

Solution

depends on how the power supply died. sounds like in your case the ps safty short worked and it powered...

depends on how the power supply died. sounds like in your case the ps safty short worked and it powered off your pc then died.
if your luky it was just the ps that died. if your unlucky the ps could have taken out your whole rig.

Solution

pauls3743

Distinguished
Any quality power supply has circuits which are designed to protect your computer when something goes wrong. However, this does not guarantee that your computer is not damaged when your power supply fails. Unfortunately, it's not something you're going to know until a working power supply is connected.

shoozter

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

I did hear a click when I tried to power it on the first time right before it shut itself down. If that info helps any