Your question

Micro Budget Gaming PC (under $300)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 8:36:53 PM

After getting Starcraft II and Diablo 3 as gifts I decided it was time to upgrade my PC.

Approximate Purchase Date:2 or 3 weeks

Budget Range:$200-300 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Netflix

Parts Not Required:Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, HDDs, DVD rom, PSU (Current is Logisys 575w)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None (US based for cheaper shipping)

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments: Main goal is to spend as little as possible and be able to play the listed games (and similar system requirement demanding games) at medium to high settings.

This is what I've come up through mostly google shopping.

Mobo: ASUS M5A97

CPU: Athlon II X3 455

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB DDR5

RAM: Kingston 4GB Module - DDR3 1333MHz

Current Price (with shipping): $235.07

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

More about : micro budget gaming 300

August 30, 2012 6:13:53 PM

Hello,
The parts you have selected will meet the minimum system requirements for both games, however the recommended system requirements are greater for Diablo 3 and they are:
CPU=Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz/ AMD Athlon 64 x2 5800+
RAM=2GB
Video=nVidia GTX 260/ ATI 4870

I have quickly put together some parts that meet or exceed the recommended requirements.
CPU=Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz dual core
Motherboard=ECS LGA 1155 H61
RAM=Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
GPU=EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Price=$315 after shipping.

These recommendations are based largely on Tom's Hardware; Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: August 2012 and Tom's Hardware; Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2012 as well as Tom's Hardware; Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?. If you have any questions please ask.

Hope that helped.
m
l
August 31, 2012 9:36:04 PM

Thanks for replying noreaster. As soon as I had posted this I ended up changing to the Pentium G series. Microcenter has a Pentium G630 for only $49.99 right now. Sounds like a great deal.

I also found a HIS Radeon HD 6870 for $123.99 (free shipping). According to Passmark and HWCompare the 6870 appears to be a slightly better card.

Microcenter also had this motherboard for $49.99. Not sure how it compares with the one you posted. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

And one more thing: How do you feel on refurbished hard drives? I have really old IDE drives and decided to add a SATA drive. The refurbished ones are much cheaper. Didn't know if there were any major concerns using them (I've had these hard drives for nearly 10 years without any issues).
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:32:54 PM

The processor, video card, and motherboard look like good deals.
All hard drives will fail at some point simply because they are mechanical in nature, that is the only reason I stay away from refurbished hard drives, you don't know how many hours of use they have and thus no idea how many hours of use are left, but that is just my opinion.
m
l
!