Hello,
I have built my own PC from a Kit.
SPECS :
Motherboard - MSI 970A-G46 9 Series AM3+
CPU - AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+
RAMx2 - Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz
PSU - Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHZ Ed. 1GB DDR5

And it worked great on my 50"1080p LG 600Hz Plasma until the TV died. It would randomly turn off leading up to it's crash.
Since then I have replaced it with a 52"1080p Sharp 120Hz LED.

When trying to watch my movies from my external HD, I sometimes get lag while watching any 1080p movies.
I have noticed my 3TB-Seagate External HD has best quality when entering my USB2.0 in my tower, even though I have USB3.0-SS as well.

ALL of my high end games used to run smoothly and without a blip at first, but leading up to and since my original monitor died (50"LG-Plasma) it's doesn't look the same. It seems like the game/movie skips a beat every 4sec. There is even more Interlacing than I have noticed before.
There is less in 1280x720p setting in games, but I still notice a slight Interlacing across the center rather than throughout the screen.

I have run trough several theories :
1 - The ExHD USB2.0 into to tower slows down the signal to the Graphics Card. For Movies...
2 - My 52"Shark HD LED 120Hz screen is too big for the Graphics Card to keep up with.
3 - Graphics card has been screwed up because I've had to 'Hard Restart' my comp so many times with my original 50"LG Plasma.
4 - I had to manually install the USB3.0 Driver from the MSI website. The Graphics Card has been finicky since then, and this was literally an hour before my original 50"Plasma died. Something to do with this new USB3.0SS Driver?
5 - I have re-installed the Driver for the Graphics Card from the original disk. Slight, if no change noticed.

The most frustrating factor is that is WAS working fantastically, but not so much anymore...and I've barely had this set up for 2 months.

Thank you for any help!
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 5:10:13 PM

Have you downloaded the new driver from AMD? should be 12.6.

Also, try another PCI-E slot. Make sure is properly connected, nothing loose.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 5:27:20 PM

A 7770 will not cut it for high-quality 1080P gaming, just to let you know.

But there are a few possibilities.

The Drivers may not have installed correctly.

Sometimes I see people plug into the integrated graphics rather than the dedicated GPU. That leads to bad performance. It sounds stupid, but it's a common mistake.

Re install the drivers, and check to see you plugged in to the right place.
Then post back telling me if you fixed it.
Score
Related resources
a c 203 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 5:57:54 PM

check the tv vendor forum to see if any xbox gamers having the same issues or there a setting that needs to be changed. also how old is the hdmi cable your using from the computer to the tv?? sometime it a cheap hdmi cable that can cause an issue.
see if the tv or the video card software has a hdmi version setting..a lot of the new tv may have issues with hdmi handshaking and some older products.
Score
July 10, 2012 10:05:43 PM

fantastik250 said:
Have you downloaded the new driver from AMD? should be 12.6.

Also, try another PCI-E slot. Make sure is properly connected, nothing loose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 12.6 Catalyst Driver you suggested seems only to be for 4000, 3000, and 2000 series.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst126l...
Not to question your Veteran Status, but would it be safe to install this for my AMD HD 7770 series?

I only want to avoid complicating the issue.

I will try out a new PCI-E slot once I am able and report back.

Thanks you kindly for your suggestions.
Score
July 10, 2012 10:39:11 PM

mastrom101 said:
A 7770 will not cut it for high-quality 1080P gaming, just to let you know.

But there are a few possibilities.

The Drivers may not have installed correctly.

Sometimes I see people plug into the integrated graphics rather than the dedicated GPU. That leads to bad performance. It sounds stupid, but it's a common mistake.

Re install the drivers, and check to see you plugged in to the right place.
Then post back telling me if you fixed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to understand correctly, you are suggesting that I adapt my USB3.0-SS cable to one of the Mini-HDMI ports on the back of my Graphics Card?

Sure, this make a little sense... I will give it a shot once I get a chance tonight.
And download the updated driver.
Thank you kindly for your suggestion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. Doesn't work that way...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies....
I should have read your post more thoroughly.
Did I mention I'm retarded? Sometimes anyways.... :p 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 10:52:10 PM

What are your temps? It could be that over time, dust or animal has built up in a fan somewhere leading to temp spikes and decreased performance.
Score
July 10, 2012 10:53:48 PM

smorizio said:
check the tv vendor forum to see if any xbox gamers having the same issues or there a setting that needs to be changed. also how old is the hdmi cable your using from the computer to the tv?? sometime it a cheap hdmi cable that can cause an issue.
see if the tv or the video card software has a hdmi version setting..a lot of the new tv may have issues with hdmi handshaking and some older products.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using a 6ft HDMI cable that has adaptable ends. (the ones that swivel)
I am aware that since they are more flexible, there is a greater risk it might break/corrupt/etc

I will test out a new, more solid state, cable.
Thank you kindly for your suggestion.
Score
July 10, 2012 11:01:28 PM

stant1rm said:
What are your temps? It could be that over time, dust or animal has built up in a fan somewhere leading to temp spikes and decreased performance.

Another plausible theory.
I have never checked the temp, but I KNOW my AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+ tries REALLY hard. When all 8Cores kick in, that CPU fan gets LOUD!
This has made me consider purchasing a liquid cooling system. Which I will probably end up doing.

I will be installing AMD Overdrive tonight in order to record the Temp and get back with you.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Score
July 11, 2012 2:34:14 AM

:: UPDATE ::

I moved Graphic Card into a new PCI-E port. Computer boots successfully.

Went into AMD Overdrive and turned up both the Fan and the Power Control Settings.
Temp read : 36c

I then downloaded the 12.6 AMD Catalyst Driver.
During download, the monitor dropped out.........(the GCard must have known my intentions)

Restart Computer, download again, installing the 12.6 Driver, I tried out Harry Potter 1080p and the same frame stuttering appeared.
I then copied and pasted the movie onto my desktop, in theory that it was a data rate issue, and same frame stuttering appeared.
Keep watching, Monitor drops out. Restart Computer.

I then turn up both the GPU Clock and Memory Clock. Hit Apply. Monitor drops out. Restart Computer.

Turned only the Fan back up. Watch Harry Potter 1080p from my desktop again.
THIS TIME, it is much better, but frame stuttering still shows up especially when the movie scenes Pan around.

Keep watching and writing this update......Monitor Drops out....

Is it safe to guess that I have a crappy Graphics Card?

Score
July 11, 2012 3:02:52 AM

::UPDATE 2 ::

After tweaking a the GPU and Memory Clock settings, Harry Potter LOOKS FANTASTIC! So, I decide to check out the AMD Control Panel and as soon as I do...Monitor Crashes...
BUT then turn back on...
then off...
then on...
blank AMD Control Panel window pops up...
Window's Error too : AMD Driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered.
Monitor continues to drop off and on.
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 4:29:02 AM

Okay, Uncheck the Enable Graphics Overdrive. You can still leave the Manual Control on. Post back on the results.
Score
July 11, 2012 2:01:07 PM

I may have installed the wrong Catalyst Driver... :/ 

This one seems to be the correct one.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

After further research, I noticed that this driver is for Windows7 32-bit.
My OS is Windows7 64-bit.
Would this work just was well?
Thank you all.
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 2:51:35 PM

Just an FYI about using TVs as monitors... especially 120hz ones. They aren't true 120hz. Instead, they use 60hz and interpolate extra frames. This does NOT work with games, so you need to change your TV setting to "Games" mode or whatever the equivalent is, otherwise you get the "interlacing" effect. My friend got an 80" 120hz Sharp and was complaining about the issue. I went over to check it out and sure enough, the crosshair (most noticeable) was all fuzzy when he looked around. Switched TV mode to Game setting and voila, works great.

Although for the TV turning off, that's probably not related to this issue. Not sure why that would be happening.
Score
July 11, 2012 5:54:32 PM

smorizio said:
Diablotek DA Series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5bNMdUs1w&feature=rela...
sucks...

Agreed.
I had to have mine replaced in less than a week after purchase.

Any suggestions on what PSU I may upgrade to if I were to install a liquid cooling system?
Score

Best solution

a c 99 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 7:02:20 PM

Jonathan_01 said:
I may have installed the wrong Catalyst Driver... :/ 

This one seems to be the correct one.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

After further research, I noticed that this driver is for Windows7 32-bit.
My OS is Windows7 64-bit.
Would this work just was well?
Thank you all.

Here is 64-bit version for your card.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
July 12, 2012 1:21:57 AM

::SUCCESS!!!::UPDATE 3::

I Uninstalled the Driver.
Reinstalled the Original Driver.
Downloaded/Installed the suggested Driver :
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Updated Window7
(Re-booting accordingly throughout this)
Tweaked the AMD Overdirve settings, Turning off 'Enable Graphics OverDrive'
And...
Harry Potter 1080p looks splendid!
Mass Effect 2 / Civilization IV are crystal clear.
VICTORY!

Fingers Crossed of course. Hope this does not happen again.

THANK YOU ALL. This Forum was THE BEST resource in solving my computer errors.
Score
July 12, 2012 1:22:34 AM

Best answer selected by Jonathan_01.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 1:22:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!