length fo txt messages

My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one wiht
a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see the
3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
want.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

--
Remove mypants from email address to reply
5 answers Last reply

    "huzden" <daniel.whiteMYPANTS@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one
    > wiht
    > a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
    > restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see
    > the
    > 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
    > want.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Dan
    >

    > --
    > Remove mypants from email address to reply

    My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters

    ta

    www.ngage.me.uk

    Yeah I told her that it does say in the corner but she wants it so If she
    forgets to look it wont let her go over . It probally cant be done with the
    new phones.

    www.ngame.me.uk could you clarify what you mean by
    "My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters" Do you mean
    what ChrisM said? That its in the top right hand side????

    dan

    --
    "www.ngage.me.uk" <nobody@hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhasdasdasda.com> wrote in message

    > "huzden" <daniel.whiteMYPANTS@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > > My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one
    > > wiht
    > > a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
    > > restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see
    > > the
    > > 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what
    > > want.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >

    > > --
    > > Remove mypants from email address to reply
    > >

    > My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters
    >

    > ta
    >

    > www.ngage.me.uk

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, at 09:35:57 [GMT +0100] (18:35:57 Friday, 10 September
    2004 where I live) "huzden" wrote:

    > My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one wiht
    > a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
    > restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see the
    > 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
    > want.

    Can't answer your specific question re what 'phone to get, but IIRC the text
    message limit to 160 characters is network dependant?

    --
    In accord to UNIX philosophy, PERL gives you enough rope to hang yourself.

    yes it is network dependent but most phones allow you to stitch several
    together. The problem with this is you can write a message that is over 160
    characters, often the last message is say just a few characters but has cost
    a full message to send.

    thanks

    dan

    --

    > yes it is network dependent but most phones allow you to stitch several
    > together. The problem with this is you can write a message that is over
    160
    > characters, often the last message is say just a few characters but has
    cost
    > a full message to send.

    On my Nokia, I get somthing like 140/1 at the top of the screen which tells
    me how many messages my current text requires to send, and how many
    characters are left of the current one,

    ie
    140/1 : Will cost 1 message to send, and I have 140 characters left before I
    start a second message
    32/2 : Will cost 2 messages to send, and I have 32 characters left before it
    start to cost me 3.

    So although the phone won't actually stop you sending a longer double or
    triple message, its easy enough so see whats happening.

    I always check that the second number says '1' before I send the text, so it
    only ever costs me one text message. Unless of course, I WANT to send a
    longer one ;-)

    Cheers,

    Chris.

Nokia Phones