length fo txt messages

Last response: in Brands
September 10, 2004 1:35:57 PM

My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one wiht
a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see the
3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
want.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

--
Remove mypants from email address to reply

More about : length txt messages

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:45:24 PM

"huzden" <daniel.whiteMYPANTS@virgin.net> wrote in message
> My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one
> wiht
> a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
> restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see
> the
> 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
> want.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Dan
>

> --
> Remove mypants from email address to reply

My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters

ta

www.ngage.me.uk
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:03:52 PM

Yeah I told her that it does say in the corner but she wants it so If she
forgets to look it wont let her go over . It probally cant be done with the
new phones.

www.ngame.me.uk could you clarify what you mean by
"My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters" Do you mean
what ChrisM said? That its in the top right hand side????

dan

--
"www.ngage.me.uk" <nobody@hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhasdasdasda.com> wrote in message

> "huzden" <daniel.whiteMYPANTS@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one
> > wiht
> > a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
> > restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see
> > the
> > 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what
> > want.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > --
> > Remove mypants from email address to reply
> >

> My 6600 and ngage telll me when i go over the 160 characters
>

> ta
>

> www.ngage.me.uk

September 11, 2004 12:11:46 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, at 09:35:57 [GMT +0100] (18:35:57 Friday, 10 September
2004 where I live) "huzden" wrote:

> My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one wiht
> a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
> restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see the
> 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what i
> want.

Can't answer your specific question re what 'phone to get, but IIRC the text
message limit to 160 characters is network dependant?

--
In accord to UNIX philosophy, PERL gives you enough rope to hang yourself.
Anonymous

yes it is network dependent but most phones allow you to stitch several
together. The problem with this is you can write a message that is over 160
characters, often the last message is say just a few characters but has cost
a full message to send.

thanks

dan

--
"John Phillips" <flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, at 09:35:57 [GMT +0100] (18:35:57 Friday, 10
September
> 2004 where I live) "huzden" wrote:
>
> > My girlfriend is getting a new phone very soon and is looking for one
wiht
> > a txt message counter but also the ability to turn of long messages
> > restricting her to 160 characters a message is there such a phone I see
the
> > 3410 has aption for reduced charcter support but doesnt seem to do what
> > want.
>
> Can't answer your specific question re what 'phone to get, but IIRC the
text
> message limit to 160 characters is network dependant?
>
> --
> In accord to UNIX philosophy, PERL gives you enough rope to hang yourself.

September 11, 2004 12:11:48 AM

> yes it is network dependent but most phones allow you to stitch several
> together. The problem with this is you can write a message that is over
160
> characters, often the last message is say just a few characters but has
cost
> a full message to send.

On my Nokia, I get somthing like 140/1 at the top of the screen which tells
me how many messages my current text requires to send, and how many
characters are left of the current one,

ie
140/1 : Will cost 1 message to send, and I have 140 characters left before I
start a second message
32/2 : Will cost 2 messages to send, and I have 32 characters left before it
start to cost me 3.

So although the phone won't actually stop you sending a longer double or
triple message, its easy enough so see whats happening.

I always check that the second number says '1' before I send the text, so it
only ever costs me one text message. Unless of course, I WANT to send a
longer one ;-)

Cheers,

Chris.
!