Sign in with
Your question

Advice on quiet pc for photoshop and gaming

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 10:49:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm about to build my first pc, with the primary uses being photoshop (large files) and gaming. I want to make a quiet pc as my current (name-brand store-bought) computer is noisy. I think this is largely because of my hdd, so I am thinking of getting a SanDisk SSD 480GB, plus a Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD for photoshop scratch (this should be enough space for now). I might get another 670 and SLI them in the future. My budget is $2000 AUD and my current cart (using http://www.pccasegear.com) adds up to this price.

As I said, this will be my first homebuilt, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Intel Core i5 3570K $235.00
Corsair Obsidian 550D Case $185.00
Enermax NAXN 850W Modular $179.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard $149.00
SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 480G $379.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM $99.00
Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM $109.00
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB $469.00
Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD Retail Box $75.00
G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 $125.00

= $2004 AUD

Thanks,

Adam
August 30, 2012 2:09:03 PM

GO TO NEWEGG OR NCIX
this parts you have listed are more expensive than they should be on this site unless you don't live in america or canada you don't have to pay more than 1500 for these parts
don't get a 670 get a 680 more power if you listened to me correctly you can have two of these babys and have the performance of a 690 in your hands
why get two ssd when you can get one and buy a hardrive that has the performance of a ssd (seagate sv35 best in my opinion loads everything in 20 sec flat) the motherboard you have selected will theorectically bottleneck you computer in the first week. the ram you have chosen is waaay off the performance you need for photoshop and etc if your going to spend that much money on a 80 doller set you can get corsair dominator platinum(159.00) this will greatly increase productivity. do you really need a bluyray player if you do go for it in your budget if not just get a cheap 18 doller oem disk drive. other than that the cpu is fine but take my recommendation for a new motherboard k. you don't have to take my suggestion but you are paying more than you have to mate
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:09:04 PM

GO TO NEWEGG OR NCIX
this parts you have listed are more expensive than they should be on this site unless you don't live in america or canada you don't have to pay more than 1500 for these parts
don't get a 670 get a 680 more power if you listened to me correctly you can have two of these babys and have the performance of a 690 in your hands
why get two ssd when you can get one and buy a hardrive that has the performance of a ssd (seagate sv35 best in my opinion loads everything in 20 sec flat) the motherboard you have selected will theorectically bottleneck you computer in the first week. the ram you have chosen is waaay off the performance you need for photoshop and etc if your going to spend that much money on a 80 doller set you can get corsair dominator platinum(159.00) this will greatly increase productivity. do you really need a bluyray player if you do go for it in your budget if not just get a cheap 18 doller oem disk drive. other than that the cpu is fine but take my recommendation for a new motherboard k. you don't have to take my suggestion but you are paying more than you have to mate
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:06:05 AM

Hey DANWIN, thanks so much for your response.

I live in Australia. When I wrote AUD I meant Australian dollars. The prices I wrote are competitive down under.

The Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB OC Edition has become available here for $10 more than the 670, so I am thinking of going with that now. The 680 is more than $100 more.

The reason I want a second hard drive is to use it as a photoshop scratch disk. Everything I have been reading about storage has been saying that SSD way outperforms HDDs. If you have any specs I could look at to the contrary I’d be interested. Another draw for me in favour of SSDs is the silent operation factor. My current drive is really noisy.

The corsair dominator platinum (2x8GB) is $239.00, so about twice as much as the G.Skill Ares F3. Do folks agree that I need better memory for photoshop?

And do folks agree that I'd get bottlenecks; that need a better motherboard?

Thanks! :>
m
l
!