In-game Freezes/Lock Ups

Xangelis

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I recently built a machine for gaming. I've had graphic issues from day one and I've only noticed the issues while gaming. Generally the problem is the screen will freeze/lock-up after 10-30 seconds it will recover. During this time I will usually see a message in the system tray stating that a graphics driver stopped responding/crashed.

With some games (Diablo 3 in particular) the system will never recover and it will sit at a black or frozen screen. Ctrl+alt+del does not work and I'm forced to manually reboot. As if that wasn't bad enough within the last week I've been getting BSOD("A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor).

Here are the steps I've taken so far. I've reseated just about everything several times, updated drivers and BIOS. I've monitored my system temps and nothing appears to be getting too hot. I've also reinstalled Windows a few times, no luck.

Here is a bit of my system information:

CPU: Intel I.B. 3770k

MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77

Vid Card: Radeon HD 7770

PS: Corsair AX 850

Any help would be greatly appreciated in narrowing down what the cause of this issue is, thank you!

Sounds like the motherboard is having a hard time, but it is hard to check whether it is. I'd suggest running memtest first. www.memtest.org

If that does not seem to be an issue, try removing your graphics card and running from onboard video for a while. If that doesn't help either, it must be either CPU or the motherboard. I'd suspect the Motherboard first, as faulty CPUs are very rare.