What is my graphic card upgrade limit with current mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2012 7:01:03 PM

asus p5k-e mobo
intel core 2 duo cpu e6550 @2.33ghz (2 cpus), ~2.3ghz
nvidia geforce 8800 gt
memory 4096 RAM
32-bit home premium windows 7

I've been playing diablo3 lately and I've been getting computer freeze/lock-up issues. Therefore I downloaded MSI afterburner to check if temperature of my cpu and gpu, there I noticed my gpu is overheating up to 95-105. I'm assuming if I change the graphic card it will clean the issue.

I tried many things and it did temporarily fixed the problem but the problem is back.

So far, I've tried blowing off dusts on gpu fan and cpu fan, took the graphic card out and wiped dusts off and increased fan speed to 100%(MSI afterburner)

So I've been considering getting a new graphic card that is compatible to my mobo and also wanted to know how good of graphic card I can get off of this Motherboard.

How good of graphic card I get? I would set my budget at lower than $100.
Can any of professionals here suggest model name of graphic card I should consider buying? Or possible tips or know-how for under-heating gpu?

Thank you for your time guys!

Best solution

a c 99 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 7:08:57 PM

You can consider a 7750 (800 Mhz Version)

One the best upgrade cards that doesn't use a power connection to the card. Don't worry about the PCI-E version, it's compatible and won't suffer from performance loss from your ASUS motherboard.
Sapphire 7750 ($99.99, $89.99 after mail-in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, if you have overheating issues, make sure you have done some cable management where air is flowing freely in your case, no cords blocking fans and such and possibly getting more fans if your case allows.

Hope that helps :) 
July 10, 2012 7:13:14 PM

So any graphic card that's PCI-E version will be compatible to my motherboard, am I correct?

Thank you for your reply!
Score
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 7:16:05 PM

Yes, for lower end cards you won't see a performance difference if it's on a PCI-E 1.0 slot, 2.0 slot, or 3.0 slot.

You motherboard is 2.0 I believe and it's a x16 (size slot) and it runs at x16 (mode, means how fast the data will travel). So you have no issues with it :) 
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 7:17:05 PM

Yes you are correct. There's not limit in regards to your motherboard. Limiting factors will be only your CPU (might bottleneck too strong card, which means its potential might get wasted) and your power supply unit.
Score
a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 140 à CPUs
July 10, 2012 7:21:26 PM

fantastik250 said:
You can consider a 7750 (800 Mhz Version)

One the best upgrade cards that doesn't use a power connection to the card. Don't worry about the PCI-E version, it's compatible and won't suffer from performance loss from your ASUS motherboard.
Sapphire 7750 ($99.99, $89.99 after mail-in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, if you have overheating issues, make sure you have done some cable management where air is flowing freely in your case, no cords blocking fans and such and possibly getting more fans if your case allows.

Hope that helps :) 

Nice find. There's a B.A. right there^. With a $100 budget, this is the best you'll do. Going up to $120 will let you get a HD6770, but if that's an uncomfortable stretch, the HD7750 will be fine. If you can run an 8800GT now, you won't have power problems with either of those.
Score
July 10, 2012 7:46:37 PM

You guys are so hot and awesome. Let me throw one more question at you gentlemen.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

What's the difference between the graphic card which fantastik250 attached and the url I attached?

Also, Radeon HD 7750, should solve the gpu overheating issue right?
Score
a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 140 à CPUs
July 10, 2012 7:58:42 PM

There is no significant difference. Any clock speed variation could be adjusted manually in CCC.
The HD7750 is a very cool-running card.
Score
July 10, 2012 8:54:35 PM

ATI (Now AMD, for some time) uses (roughly) the following designation for it's graphics cards
HD-ABC0

HD, tells is a commonality in the brand name
A is the series, it largely designates what design the chip goes by
B is the first performance tiering, larger number is intended (by the manufacture) to yield higher performance
C is a secondary tiering, again larger numbers are intended (by the manufacture) to yield higher performance
0 is because large numbers impress people

As the series increases performance generally increases, but sometimes manufactures use the same hardware for two consecutive series, as a way to artificially increase the price of their hardware... The 6xxx and 7xxx are different chips?

What can occur is the performance gain from one TIER to another can be larger than the performance gain of a series increase. I'd recommend checking benchmarks, but the idea behind the HD6770 is it's faster despite being older (which reduces it's price as compared to its replacement with the newest series designation.)
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 4:33:58 AM

As jtt283 has mentioned, the 7750 runs much cooler than the 8800GT. And +1 regarding the no significant difference.
Score
July 11, 2012 4:45:04 AM

You guys were a great help!
I feel very satisfied. I would like to select every one of you as best answer but I will go with Fantastik250 this time!

Thank you once again guys! Amazing help for newbies like me!
Score
July 11, 2012 4:46:06 AM

Best answer selected by dnfakrnl.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 6:22:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!