Will a 350 watt psu support these?
I am running on the following configurations:
1. Intel DG31PR Motherboard
2. Samsung SP0822N 80 GB HDD
3. Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 2.50 Ghz
4. LG GH22NP20 DVD Writer
5. A Floppy Drive
6. Powercolor Radeon HD 5450 1 GB

I want to add a Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD to it. ( I know that my motherboard supports SATA 1.0 and buying a SATA 3.0 HDD is dumb, but i read reviews and it works so no problem)
1. Will my PSU support it ?
2. Do i need to remove my Samsung HDD ?
3. Is Seagate Barracuda a good option ?
4. Any suggestions ?

More about : 350 watt psu support

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 3:46:35 PM

1. what kind ifof powersupply u have.

2. no.

3, barracuda is quite good.

4. if ur powersupply happens to be bad quality, whats ur budget for a new one?

m
l
January 12, 2013 11:25:15 PM

Technically, your system plugs into a PSU calculator as being under 350w regardless of what you might be running for fans, ect. However, that doesn't mean I would suggest you try running it with a 350w supply. Most models with that low of rated power output are not very well built, lack even the basic 80+ efficiency rating, and deliver a fair amount of noise/ripple in their power flow. There simply aren't many companies out there who focus their resources on creating a high quality unit targeted at the customers who wouldn't be looking at larger power needs.

I would consider a Seasonic S12II 520w, Antec Neo Eco 520w, Antec Earthwatts Green 430w, Antec VP-450w, and Neo Eco 400w in that order. It depends on what you can find and what your budget is. All are high quality units that are reasonable in price.

You can certainly leave the current drive as a second HDD, unless you have a extremely compact case that doesn't allow room- although almost all micro-cases will even offer 2 HDD slots. It's a matter of personal preference, but I trust Western Digital much more than Seagate, especially as of late. You can find the WD Caviar Blue 1tb model WD10EZEX for under $75 online right now, and the 500gb version of the drive for around $65. I just picked up a couple myself and am very satisfied thus far.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 11:20:19 AM

iceclock said:
1. what kind ifof powersupply u have.

2. no.

3, barracuda is quite good.

4. if ur powersupply happens to be bad quality, whats ur budget for a new one?

I dont remember the manufacturer and lost the bill but my PSU is 350 watt and has been running flawlessly since the last 2 years. I am not looking forward to a new PSU but if i have to, i can manage around 2000 INR.

I read reviews about the Barracuda and your opinion added confirms my selection, thanks.
Windows recently has started showing some HDD errors for my Samsung HDD, so i was thinking of removing the latter and installing the Seagate one.
m
l
January 13, 2013 11:30:26 AM

ocmusicjunkie said:
Technically, your system plugs into a PSU calculator as being under 350w regardless of what you might be running for fans, ect. However, that doesn't mean I would suggest you try running it with a 350w supply. Most models with that low of rated power output are not very well built, lack even the basic 80+ efficiency rating, and deliver a fair amount of noise/ripple in their power flow. There simply aren't many companies out there who focus their resources on creating a high quality unit targeted at the customers who wouldn't be looking at larger power needs.

I would consider a Seasonic S12II 520w, Antec Neo Eco 520w, Antec Earthwatts Green 430w, Antec VP-450w, and Neo Eco 400w in that order. It depends on what you can find and what your budget is. All are high quality units that are reasonable in price.

You can certainly leave the current drive as a second HDD, unless you have a extremely compact case that doesn't allow room- although almost all micro-cases will even offer 2 HDD slots. It's a matter of personal preference, but I trust Western Digital much more than Seagate, especially as of late. You can find the WD Caviar Blue 1tb model WD10EZEX for under $75 online right now, and the 500gb version of the drive for around $65. I just picked up a couple myself and am very satisfied thus far.

I am not looking forward for a new PSU, but if i have to, i have around 2000 INR in store.
My case allows to install 3 HDD's. I was curious about replacing my Samsung HDD because of power supply, but now Windows is detecting some HDD error so i am going to remove it most probably.

I have a Seagate HDD on another PC and had a Seagate one before the Samsung. I know that there is not much difference between 500 Gb and 1 Tb models of Seagate and WD in price(700-800 INR), but i don't need a 1Tb model it would be useless and i will be replacing this PC in a few years(2-3).
Thanks for your opinion.
m
l
!