Folder name completion (but not in CMD window)

July 11, 2005 5:26:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is launched
using "CMD /F"?

I would like to use folder name completion in Windows Explorer's
address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows, etc.

Is this possible?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:26:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How To Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310530

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9690E9B79A9E64A18E@204.153.244.156,
Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is launched
> using "CMD /F"?
>
> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows Explorer's
> address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows, etc.
>
> Is this possible?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:26:11 AM

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> How To Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310530

Zak - it is sorta that way - click on any file/folder in the directory
listing in explorer and start typing the name.. Type fast (normal) and it
will highlight the first filename/folder with the letters you specifiy. As
far as doing it in the address bar - that should already work as well if you
have other autocompletes on (may do it either way.)

Open an explorer window to a folder of choice, look down through the list of
files and start typing the name in the address bar - a drop-down should
appear letting you choose the correct filename/foldername.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Wes, I believe this MS article describes using the CMD prompt.

Or am I reading it incorrectly?!

Zak

On Mon 11 Jul 2005 02:04:20, Wesley Vogel wrote:

> How To Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310530
>
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

> In news:9690E9B79A9E64A18E@204.153.244.156,
> Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
>>
>> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
>> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is
>> launched using "CMD /F"?
>>
>> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows
>> Explorer's address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows,
>> etc.
>>
>> Is this possible?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

No, Zak. You are correct.

I misread your post.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:96905910AB4DB64A18E@204.153.244.156,
Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> Wes, I believe this MS article describes using the CMD prompt.
>
> Or am I reading it incorrectly?!
>
> Zak
>

> On Mon 11 Jul 2005 02:04:20, Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> How To Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310530
>>
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

>> In news:9690E9B79A9E64A18E@204.153.244.156,
>> Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
>>>
>>> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
>>> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is
>>> launched using "CMD /F"?
>>>
>>> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows
>>> Explorer's address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
July 11, 2005 12:51:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> Zak WROTE:
>>
>> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
>> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is
>> launched using "CMD /F"?
>>
>> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows
>> Explorer's address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows,
>> etc.
>>
>> Is this possible?

> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> How To Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310530

> Zak - it is sorta that way - click on any file/folder in the
> directory listing in explorer and start typing the name.. Type
> fast (normal) and it will highlight the first filename/folder
> with the letters you specifiy. As far as doing it in the
> address bar - that should already work as well if you have other
> autocompletes on (may do it either way.)

I tried the method you describe but it only seems to work for
autocompleting IMMEDIATE SUBFOLDERS.

For example about SUBFOLDERS: if I have the focus on the left pane
on Program Files and want to enter WINDOWS, then when i start to
enter those characters I get a URL and some other stuff in a list but
I do not get an entry for WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS.

For example about IMMEDIATE: if I have the left pane focus on C:\
and I enter SYSTEM32 then I do not get an autocomplete for C:\WINDOWS
\SYSTEM32.

> Open an explorer window to a folder of choice, look down through
> the list of files and start typing the name in the address bar -
> a drop-down should appear letting you choose the correct
> filename/foldername.

Yes, this is useful but it is something different to autocompleting
names in the address/name field of Win Explorer, Open, Save As, etc.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:9690E9B79A9E64A18E@204.153.244.156...
> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is launched
> using "CMD /F"?
>
> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows Explorer's
> address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows, etc.
>
> Is this possible?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:25:00 PM

You might want to lose "quoted-printable" in your newsreader. It not
only makes hash of what you type, but it makes hashes hash of what
you quote.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:24:59 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Aut=
>oComplete]
>"Append Completion"=3D"yes"
>

>--=20
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>-------------------------
>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
July 11, 2005 3:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hmm, thought I had that one....will check. :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o TKagdbhFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is launched
> using "CMD /F"?
>
> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows Explorer's
> address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows, etc.
>
> Is this possible?
July 11, 2005 3:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I checked this registry entry you mentioned and I see already have
this set. I guess it was probably by my TweakuiXP.

Unfortunately I still can not do what I want.

In my post to Shennan Stanley in this thread I explained the
following (which I have cut-&-pasted for convenience):

Shennan wrote:

> Zak - click on any file/folder in the
> directory listing in explorer and start typing the name. Type
> fast (normal) and it will highlight the first filename/folder
> with the letters you specifiy. As far as doing it in the
> address bar - that should already work as well if you have other
> autocompletes on (may do it either way.)

I tried the method you describe but it only seems to work for
autocompleting IMMEDIATE SUBFOLDERS.

For example about SUBFOLDERS: if I have the focus on the left pane
on Program Files and want to enter WINDOWS, then when i start to
enter those characters I get a URL and some other stuff in a list but
I do not get an entry for WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS.

For example about IMMEDIATE: if I have the left pane focus on C:\
and I enter SYSTEM32 then I do not get an autocomplete for C:\WINDOWS
\SYSTEM32.

Maybe there are 3rd-party utilities which can do this for me?

On Mon 11 Jul 2005 02:24:59, David Candy wrote:

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
> \Explorer\AutoComplete]
> "Append Completion"="yes"

> <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
>> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is
>> launched using "CMD /F"?
>>
>> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows
>> Explorer's address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows,
>> etc.
>>
>> Is this possible?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

That's exactly what you would expect. Think about it.

Say you have 15,000 directories (and I've worked in places where we do have folders with 15,000 sub folders) and eaxg sub folder has several folders. Just think about it.

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:96905B9BFEF1364A18E@204.153.244.156...
>I checked this registry entry you mentioned and I see already have
> this set. I guess it was probably by my TweakuiXP.
>
> Unfortunately I still can not do what I want.
>
> In my post to Shennan Stanley in this thread I explained the
> following (which I have cut-&-pasted for convenience):
>

> Shennan wrote:
>>
>> Zak - click on any file/folder in the
>> directory listing in explorer and start typing the name. Type
>> fast (normal) and it will highlight the first filename/folder
>> with the letters you specifiy. As far as doing it in the
>> address bar - that should already work as well if you have other
>> autocompletes on (may do it either way.)
>

> I tried the method you describe but it only seems to work for
> autocompleting IMMEDIATE SUBFOLDERS.
>
> For example about SUBFOLDERS: if I have the focus on the left pane
> on Program Files and want to enter WINDOWS, then when i start to
> enter those characters I get a URL and some other stuff in a list but
> I do not get an entry for WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS.
>
> For example about IMMEDIATE: if I have the left pane focus on C:\
> and I enter SYSTEM32 then I do not get an autocomplete for C:\WINDOWS
> \SYSTEM32.
>
> Maybe there are 3rd-party utilities which can do this for me?
>

> On Mon 11 Jul 2005 02:24:59, David Candy wrote:
>>
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
>> \Explorer\AutoComplete]
>> "Append Completion"="yes"
>

>> <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is it possible for Windows to have the same sort of folder name
>>> completion which is found in the DOS-like box after it is
>>> launched using "CMD /F"?
>>>
>>> I would like to use folder name completion in Windows
>>> Explorer's address bar, in 'Open' and 'Save As' dialog windows,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?

July 12, 2005 9:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

David, I think I may not have explained my needs properly.

I would like to be able to be in a SAVE AS or OPEN window and key in
no more than the first few characters of a folder. The feature I
want would complete the path name and folder name for me.

For example, I might want to use C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\ETC\.
I would like to be able to key in no more than "ET" (without quotes)
or perhaps "ETC". The system should be able to complete the folder
name and path (provided it is unique).

The method we have been discussing will only work if I am IMMEDIATELY
ABOVE the target folder. In other words, for my example above I
would need to be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\.

However I want to be in quite diffent folder folders such as
C:\Program Files\WinZip at the time I use the SAVE AS or OPEN folder
name&path completion trick.

Hope that explains it better.

Any ideas on how to be able to do this?

Zak

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 07:15:30, David Candy wrote:

> That's exactly what you would expect. Think about it.
>
> Say you have 15,000 directories (and I've worked in places where
> we do have folders with 15,000 sub folders) and eaxg sub folder
> has several folders. Just think about it.

> <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> I checked this registry entry you mentioned and I see already
>> have this set. I guess it was probably by my TweakuiXP.
>> Unfortunately I still can not do what I want.
>>
>> In my post to Shennan Stanley in this thread I explained the
>> following (which I have cut-&-pasted for convenience):
>>
>> I tried the method you describe but it only seems to work for
>> autocompleting IMMEDIATE SUBFOLDERS.
>>
>> For example about SUBFOLDERS: if I have the focus on the left
>> pane on Program Files and want to enter WINDOWS, then when i
>> start to enter those characters I get a URL and some other
>> stuff in a list but I do not get an entry for WINDOWS or
>> C:\WINDOWS.
>>
>> For example about IMMEDIATE: if I have the left pane focus on
>> C:\ and I enter SYSTEM32 then I do not get an autocomplete for
>> C:\WINDOWS \SYSTEM32.
>>
>> Maybe there are 3rd-party utilities which can do this for me?

-- trimmed --
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:39:46 PM

Zak wrote:
> I think you do not get true command completion in native XP. I
> tried what you did in XP and go result.
>
> I think what you are seeing is previous entries being recalled
> from Windows Explorer's History.

Nope - I have never saved anything using explorer in drivers.
Plus - I tested this on a freshly installed machine and got the same result.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP