I am running XP Home, and would like to add a couple programs to start from
the startup file in msconfig. Is this possible? and how ?

I have a date remind I hvae to start manually and sometimes forget it,

Thanks
Dave Brehm
dgbrehm@lyndiebroadcast.com

Try scheduled tasks in control panel,create a task.Or go to
run,type:services.msc
In msc,locate the service,double click on it,in properties,select,auto run.

In news:CDFE87D4-A31D-4250-ADD6-8E96F297D5E4@microsoft.com,
dgbrehm <dgbrehm@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am running XP Home, and would like to add a couple programs
> start from the startup file in msconfig. Is this possible? and
> how ?
>
> I have a date remind I hvae to start manually and sometimes
> forget it,

There are several ways to start a program automatically when you
boot. Probably the easiest is to put a shortcut to it into the
startup folder,
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup

Please reply to the newsgroup

The hard way is to enter Registry Editor and go to
and create a new key
Name: Whatever
Type: REG_SZ
Value: Full path name of exe file

An easier way is to get hold of a program that will do it for you.

I have one called StartUpDelayer from R2Studios.
It's purpose is to start progams at different intervals, but it also allows
you to add programs to the start up list.

Ashampoo StartupTuner will also do the same

--
Cheers,
Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person)

dgbrehm wrote:
> I am running XP Home, and would like to add a couple programs to
> start from the startup file in msconfig. Is this possible? and how ?
>
> I have a date remind I hvae to start manually and sometimes forget it,
>
> Thanks
> Dave Brehm
> dgbrehm@lyndiebroadcast.com

Yes, but this is for services.

I think the OP wanted to add a program to Startup, which can be done via
Registry Editor (see my previous reply)

--

Andrew E. wrote:
> Try scheduled tasks in control panel,create a task.Or go to
> run,type:services.msc
> In msc,locate the service,double click on it,in
> properties,select,auto run.
>
> "dgbrehm" wrote:
>
>> I am running XP Home, and would like to add a couple programs to
>> start from the startup file in msconfig. Is this possible? and how ?
>>
>> I have a date remind I hvae to start manually and sometimes forget
>> it,
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave Brehm
>> dgbrehm@lyndiebroadcast.com

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Yes, but this is for services.
>
> I think the OP wanted to add a program to Startup, which can
> be done via
> Registry Editor (see my previous reply)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person)
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Andrew E. wrote:
> > Try scheduled tasks in control panel,create a task.Or go to
> > run,type:services.msc
> > In msc,locate the service,double click on it,in
> > properties,select,auto run.
> >
> > "dgbrehm" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running XP Home, and would like to add a couple
> programs to
> >> start from the startup file in msconfig. Is this possible?
> and how ?
> >>
> >> I have a date remind I hvae to start manually and sometimes
> forget
> >> it,
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Dave Brehm
> >> dgbrehm@lyndiebroadcast.com

Why are you all over complicating this? There is a much simplare way.
What you need to do is make a shortcut to the items you wish to
open/run on start up, place them any where for the time been (the
desktop prefrably for easy access) then go here: C:\Documents and
Settings\*yourusername*\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and all you
need to do then is move the shortcuts from the desktop to that folder,
and they will run on startup.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-Start-file-ftopict555475.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765480

Sparda,

You are quite correct, of course. This is the easist way. The program
doesn't appear in msconfig, but it sure works perfectly