Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair AX750 for ASUS GTX690

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2013 5:13:37 PM

Hi all,

Here I'm looking for an expert advice on buying a ASUS GTX 690. I already built my PC with following components, :) 

Intel Core i7 3770K OC up to 4.5Ghz
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance 1600 Mhz CL9 DDR3 Memory kit
Intel 330-series 120GB SSD
Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
4 x Corsair AF120 Fans excluding 2 fans on H100i
Samsung BD-ROM/DVD R/W (SH-B123) Optical Drive
Corsair Vengeance-series C70 Case
Corsair AX750 750W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply

Based on my current Power Supply will I be able to run a ASUS GTX 690 comfortably? :??: 
Plus I will never OC the this GPU considering its value :D 
Or else my other option is to 2 way SLI EVGA GTX 670 Super Clocked.

Here I don't want to take the risk of buying GTX 690 for about $1,000 and see it not working in my rig. Therefore please give me a real expert opinion. Actually I read hundreds and hundreds of articles and watched YouTube videos on GTX 690 power consumption and PSU recommendations which seems OK to handle it with my Corsair AX750 but I want to be too much cautious about my GPU buying decision. Plus I have no intention of upgrading my rig in future apart from little lighting and a fan controlling unit. Please help me :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 5:18:02 PM

well to be honest 690 isnt worth it id recommand this instead, cheaper and gets great performance.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/xe2w
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/xe2w/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/xe2w/benchmarks/

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ NCIX)

more than enought juice, when overclocked the 670s reach 680 levels and are cheaper, and heats less than one single 690 that has performance close to 2x680s,

so basically what i suggested is 200$ less,, and close performance for alot less.

:)  enjoy my friend

and yes a 750watt ps should be more than enought :) 

Score

Best solution

a c 1174 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 5:54:40 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 690 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps or greater and that has at least two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 690.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 6:09:42 PM

yeah thats basically 2 7970s rehashed in one card, but its cost too much and performances arent that much more than 2x670s overclocked.

Score
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2013 6:10:59 PM

iceclock said:
yeah thats basically 2 7970s rehashed in one card, but its cost too much and performances arent that much more than 2x670s overclocked.

Hi :) 

But they ARE MORE...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
January 12, 2013 11:55:24 PM

Best answer selected by amilatc.
Score
January 13, 2013 12:19:35 AM

Thanks all of you........ :hello: 
I hope that I can rely on TomsHardware and of course on you guys. Well I am an Nvidia fan, so I can hardly change my mind to buy an AMD.
So I decided to go for a GTX690. But what I really wanna see a is a Rig build similar to my platform and works well with no problem. I checked YouTube and everywhere on internet but I couldn't see any. Almost all GTX690s are handled by 1000 or higher watt PSUs which is kind of an ideal scenario. But unfortunately I already bought my PSU and I hope my current choice (Corsair AX750) is a good decision. If you guys have any links to such a similar rig please post it. I wanna see whether it really works. :hello: 

This is my dream PC so that I always want it to be special. I have worked hard so far to collect money and build it. So I don't think I will degrade my rig with a cost efficient option. Yes I know GTX670 2 way SLI is also a good option but I like the GTX690 more than that. :love: 

Thanks a lot again. I might buy it in next month. So there is plenty of time to debate. So this thread is open for you guys. :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 13, 2013 12:25:42 AM

690 is overkill bro, and 2x670s is just as good and heats less.

Score
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 13, 2013 5:32:17 PM

amilatc said:
Thanks all of you........ :hello: 
I hope that I can rely on TomsHardware and of course on you guys. Well I am an Nvidia fan, so I can hardly change my mind to buy an AMD.
So I decided to go for a GTX690. But what I really wanna see a is a Rig build similar to my platform and works well with no problem. I checked YouTube and everywhere on internet but I couldn't see any. Almost all GTX690s are handled by 1000 or higher watt PSUs which is kind of an ideal scenario. But unfortunately I already bought my PSU and I hope my current choice (Corsair AX750) is a good decision. If you guys have any links to such a similar rig please post it. I wanna see whether it really works. :hello: 

This is my dream PC so that I always want it to be special. I have worked hard so far to collect money and build it. So I don't think I will degrade my rig with a cost efficient option. Yes I know GTX670 2 way SLI is also a good option but I like the GTX690 more than that. :love: 

Thanks a lot again. I might buy it in next month. So there is plenty of time to debate. So this thread is open for you guys. :) 

Reviews with PSUs under 1000 Watts:

BenchmarkReviews.com's review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Power Supply Unit: OCZ Z-Series Gold 850W OCZZ850
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

TechReport.com's review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Power Supply Unit: Corsair AX850
http://techreport.com/review/22890/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...
Score
!