oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime this month
Budget Range: ~$1500 although I would prefer to spend closer to $1,000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video rendering, Photoshop
Are you buying a monitor: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg
Parts Preferences: I've typically used AMD CPU's and ATI GPU's in the past but only because they seemed to offer more bang for my buck. At this point I don't mind paying more for Intel/Nvidia if the performance increase is worth the price increase.
Overclocking: Maybe, usually I run the system stock for a year and then OC after it starts to age.
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, I never have but am not opposed to it
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1200 primary & 1920 x 1080 secondary dual monitor

Additional Comments: I post gaming videos on youtube and livestream on twitch. I am upgrading my PC for 2 reasons. First, I need a better PC to handle local recordings an encoding a live stream all while maintaining solid in game performance and frame rates.

Secondly, my current PC generates a lot of ambient noise. I have a studio quality microphone (Blue Yeti) and it picks up a lot of background noise from my computer while streaming or recording videos. Not only do I need the PC to handle games and encoding a live stream at the same time, I also need the PC to be as quiet as possible while it does this.

It doesn't have to be silent, I mean my office isn't even soundproofed or anything. But currently when I record in Audacity or Vegas my yeti picks up about -48 dB of noise. Around -40 dB of noise when my GPU fan kicks up to ~80% and then even a little louder when we have our central air turned on.

I would like to get the ambient noise of my office as quiet as possible, so that you don't hear any background noise in my recordings.

I have a few "ideas" as to how I can accomplish this which might be better suited for the cooling section of the forums but I will post them here anyways in case it helps with the build suggestions.

Idea 1: Wall mount the PC in the laundry room next to my office and run all my wires through the wall to my desk. This would allow me to use as loud of fans as I want to while still minimizing the sound that leaks through the wall. The only complications with this method is I would have to figure out a way to get a power / reset button through the wall and it also prevents me from quickly using any in-case CPU features like on board USB slots or the CD/DVD drive.

Idea 2: Run a liquid cooling system through the case and into the laundry room or outside the house. As far as I've read it seems that the loudest part of a liquid cooled system is the exhaust fans that transfer the heat from the liquid to the air at the end/beginning of the cycle. I could run the fan portion of the liquid cooling system in my laundry room or if need be I could also run it outside via an exhaust pipe in our laundry room. This would allow the system to stay cool while keep the loud fan in another room or outside.

Idea 3: Build some kind of sound proof box around the case to minimize sound leakage from the PC. I'm not sure how viable this is or if it would cause the PC to overheat but I thought it might be an option.

Office setup:
8RtNY.png

Any suggestions as far as components for the build or methods to achieving a cool yet quiet atmosphere would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
oTradeMark

Here would be my suggestion as far as what to get goes PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($402.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($23.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1435.74
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-28 23:42 EDT-0400)

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thank you for your response... Any idea on the sound level of the hyper 212, gpu, psu and case fans? Like is this a system I would need to put on the other side of the wall?

Also, is the 670 necessary if I don't play very graphics intensive games? I play a lot of valve and activision games that aren't super gpu intensive. IE: MW3, CS:GO, Diablo 3, etc.

Would something like a 7950 or 570 work well enough to do what I want? I read that re-encoding a stream / video rendering is almost all dependent on the CPU and so as long as your GPU can maintain your frame rate any more GPU power won't do anything in terms of improving your experience.

I know I want a really great CPU, I have even toyed with the thought of going with a 3930. But I'm really undecided as far as GPU's are concerned

If you wanted it to be extremely quiet and considering your last response this would be my suggestion keep in mind considering the games you play and for your other intended use a 7950 is kinda overkill kinda lol you wouldn't need to put this build in a different room it would be very quiet not silent though but i honestly don't see how you or anybody could consider this loud bottom line... not going to be needed on another side of a wall. P.S. Yes a 570 would be fine as well so long as you are not planing on using a three monitor set up or any monitors above a 1920 X 1200 res. As for the PSU Rosewill has come a long way in the past few years. This power supply has gotten not only great reviews, but its been dissected by anandtech and was shown to be one of the better power supplies out there.It's built by Superflower which is a company that builds top notch PS pretty much safe to say one of the best in the world so if any other member has something to say about this PSU "bring it on" jk, i have no problem proving you dead wrong lol.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SST-RV03B-WA ATX Full Tower Case ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1423.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-29 02:51 EDT-0400)

These are the GTX 570's i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682 they are pretty decent but for best customer support i would recommend this 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593 or.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595#top keep in mind there is one or two others but other than that the rest of the 570's are not worth it price wise right now because a 7950 is faster than a gtx 570 and when overclocked it just eats a 570 for breakfast and you can get those for roughly the same price as other 570's are currently being sold for not sure what NVIDIA is doing these days but not thinking smart imo at least not business wise then again i don't own a business so what do i know Honestly though it's pretty depressing as i did at one time prefer using their cards but honestly now i am pretty much a fan of both and would not suggest one over the other based on which i favor.I favor my wallet more lol and whatever is best bang for my buck is what i would buy these days.

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your responses. I noticed on your 2nd spec list you switched the case and cpu cooler. What was your thought process behind that? Are they quieter or what was your reasoning?

I have never seen the silverstone case, it's a new/strange look to me to see all the cabling go to the top of the case.

Also, I have some things from my current PC that could be transitioned to my new PC if needs be. Can you tell me if any of these parts will be good enough to transfer over to the new build:

16GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 RAM
I also have 16GB of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 RAM I'm not sure which is better, or if either are compatible with LGA1155 motherboards.
Then I have a cd/dvd burner, several 7200RPM 2TB seagate drives, and an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If any of these parts are "up to par" so to speak with the components you listed let me know and I will just use them in the build instead.

That RAM is good to put in the new build. The heat-spreaders on them might interfere with a traditional air heatsink, but considering the savings from not having to buy RAM. You could buy a pre-built water cooling loop which would avoid that problem. The Corsair H100 is about as good as you can get for pre-built water cooling.
Corsair H100. $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017&Tpk=Corsair%20H100
Though I have heard that the stock fans on this are quite loud, may want this to replace them.
Corsair Quiet edition 120mm fan, dual pack. $28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181021

Optical and the HDD's are good to re-use as well. SSD can be re-used, but I wouldn't use it as the boot drive, get a modern SSD for that. Maybe use it as a video output or scratch disk for any recording/editing you do.

My reasoning for the case and cpu cooler change to be honest is because you seem extremely concerned with quietness forgive me if i am wrong maybe i misunderstood but that's my reasoning and since i know both are built top notch as well as very well known for their quietness also the cpu cooler it's pretty much one of the best at keeping your cpu cooler and as silent as it gets since you had mentioned at one point or another you would overclock there is only five other heatsinks to my knowledge that are better though of course cost more as for your parts sure all that would work fine except the SSD that is outdated bud and i wouldn't even recommend bothering with it these days no offense.

lol no way the H-100 is loud bud two of my mates have it i have heard how it sounds in person on high fan settings sounds like a swamp cooler i s*** you not :lol: and with the added cost of replacing the stock fans with quiet ones you half to be a fool to buy it imo because you could get a rasa kit for the same price at that point cost wise it's a bad idea. New Rasa 450 RX120 WaterCooling Kit from XSPC! Kit Contents: Rasa Black (Acetal) CPU Waterblock Socket... http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=32275 F that H-100 price and noise wise it's garbage lol.

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for your guys input. I had considered water cooling as one method of going "quiet" but as you guys are saying the exhaust fans sometimes contribute to more noise than typical air cooling would anyways.

If I went custom cooling loop I could run the tubes through the wall and put the exhaust fans in the laundry room where they could be as loud as they want but the h100 wouldn't work in that regards.

I found this comparison on frostytech: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6

It says the H100 is 43.6 dB at low fan speed and almost 60 dB at high fan speed. The NH-D14 appears to outperform the H100 in temperature and just slightly louder than the H100 at low fan speed.

Also, sound is definitely a concern for me... however as I have listed in my "ideas" I'm not sure how quiet even the most quiet high-end machines are. If the machine is going to be pretty loud even when I put in these high end parts it might be a better solution to just mount the PC in the laundry room next to my office and run all the cables through the wall.

I have even considered doing something like this on the other side of my wall if I could keep it cool:
wall-mounted-pc-casemod,Z-5-269537-13.jpg

lol right on you did your homework well that was fast :lol: ;)

I think that looks pretty cool and no doubt about it would be quieter i would assume close to silent as it gets however i half to be honest i have never done a build like that so i wouldn't know how to tell you to do it if you needed help if not then go for it ;)

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hey buddy, check out my signature builds!

Edit: my advise is that you get my 1400$ PC, its quiet. The HAVIK CPU cooler performs VERY well and only produces 25dBA on full speed and the wind force cooler (the one that the GTX 670 in my build uses) is known for its amazing cooling capabilities and low noise

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Yeah me neither, I would be flying blind and I'm sure I would mess something up lol...

It doesn't even have to be that extravagant though, I was just planning on screwing a regular PC case into the wall and putting all the components in a regular case, sorta like this except on the other side of the wall:

Shelf007.jpg

The only reason I brought it up is because I figured it might be easier to just build a good PC not worrying about sound and place it in the room next to me so it can be as loud as it wants rather than trying to assemble a high-end quiet PC using all the right parts.

I've never built a "quiet" gaming PC so I don't really know how quiet a build like you've posted above will actually be.

Again, It's not like I'm in a sound booth and need everything to be dead silent... It's just that right now anything I record picks up a lot of ambient noise primarily from my PC that I would like to remove from my recordings as much as possible.

Yeah,i understand what you mean.As far as reaching your goal what are your thoughts on a custom loop?Also my builds would be quiet i honestly could not give you a example as i don't have any way to sorry about that :(

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Buddy, relax. You're taking things a LITTLE too far, could you post your current system specs please? post a picture of the inside of the case too.

Based on the components and fans you have we could estimate a sound level so we can tell you if you will see any real sound improvement with the builds we've listed.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

hahahahah glad you liked it!

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (OC\'ed to 3.6 GHz)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Internet Connection: Fiber Optic 50/50 Mbps Down/Up

That's all I know off the top of my head, I have terrible cable management that is very messy/dusty and I know I need to clean it up I never really knew how to properly manage cables internally of a PC aside from a few pull ties.

In regards to the fans I have the above listed cpu/gpu stock fans and then this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517005

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

That's reassuring, if the total noise dropped by about 10-20 dB I would be happy, and my current PC is pretty freaking loud

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Dear lord.... you have a 4870??? hahahahaha that's the problem buddy!! that thing couses 99.98% of your ambient noise and your case does a really bad job in suppressing that noise, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvAwTEIA_k

and i bet all the money in the world that your using either the stock fan cooler of the Phenom or a really cheap cooler :D

Oh it's more than safe to assume it would do allot better than that with my second build check youtube for video showing how that case sounds and check newegg or just type a search about those Noctua fans with the cpu cooler :lol:

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Eww... noctua fans are ugly :(

oTradeMark

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Do either of you have any idea if the noctua will cause issues with my ripjaws memory? I know some heatsink fans require low profile memory