$800 New Rig for FlightSimX

DarkerTrais

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Howdy! I'm new to the forums here, and I apologize in advance if this has been covered somewhere else. This rig is for a friend of mine to play Flight Simulator X. He isn't too tech-knowledgeable so overclocking and liquid cooling may be too much for him to deal with.

Approximate Purchase Date: No specific time. If the deals are better in December or January than he is open to waiting.

Budget Range: $800, maybe up to $900. Includes Windows, no monitor.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Flight Simulator X, general internet surfing, skype video chat.
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Open to any.
Parts Preferences: I've read FSX runs well with Intel CPU's and nVidia GPU's. This is not set in stone, open to any budget-friendly parts that will do well.

Overclocking: ...Maybe. I don't want to be over at his house weekly tinkering with his BIOS settings. If the build is OC'd a little and runs stable, it might not be a bad idea. Also, I'm somewhat experienced in assembling a PC, so I could move fan placement around to get an ideal air-flow.

SLI or Crossfire: I've read FSX actually loses performance with SLI. Also, probably not an option with the tight budget.

Your Monitor Resolution: This I am unprepared for. I am at work now, and I have a spare LCD monitor at home which I think is ASUS. However, I can't offhand remember the size of the screen, or what Res. would be great for FSX.

Additional Comments: Again, the only game this guy is interested in is FSX. He wants to run it on the highest settings (don't we all!), but doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a desktop he only uses for one game. His wife surfs the internet and uses skype-video chat. That's about it.

Thanks for any assistance. Also, I understand that FSX is a difficult game to build for on a budget. Just adds to the challenge!
-Travis