Upgrade to old PC and new Build Advice

Piningaway462

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
First off thanks for taking a look at my post.
I am looking to upgrade atleast CPU ( if no other advice for upgrades from readers ) so that when i hand this PC down to my GF's little boy, we can play current games together and he is not struggling terribly with frame rates with games like Bfbc2, bf3, guild wars 2.

the second part of my post will be a Pc im looking to build or order from cyber power and any advice on parts for that build is welcome.

Specs for the Current PC i have.

Mobo: MSI p6n Sli nforce 650i
Ram: 6gb Corsair XMS3 or 2..uhh.
PSU: corsair TX850W
Video: Nvidia gtx260
Monitor: Samsung PX2370 23inch LED
CPU: e6750 2.66 with slight OC to 2.8ghz on stock air cooler (2.9 and 3.0ghz causes computer to freeze while playing games = (. )

I was thinking of upgrading to one of these 3 cpu's - Q6600, Q6700 or qx6850 if i could find any for decent price on ebay
and then if needed possibly a 560ti for gpu ( only if needed )

1a. Would i see any sort of increase in FPS with games mentioned above with any of those procs and which one is most worth my money.

2a. do i need to upgrade the GPU as well and if so would the 560ti be bottlenecked by any of the above mentioned procs

---------------------------------Part 2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New build i am looking at to purchase most likely around tax return time 2013

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+22]

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (500-1,200 RPM T.B. Silence Black Color with Red LED Twister Bearing 8-14 dBA)

( I beleive this case can house up to 10 120mm fans, so i think this is a good value )

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

( OC TO atleast 4ghz )

Cooling Fan: * Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]

Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Wi-Fi GO!, 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, Display Port, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCie x1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+166]

( This mobo or ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 which saves 133$ on CB )

Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX [+16])
( picked this to match color of mobo but would corsair Vengeance be a better option or another brand?

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+310] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

( 680 doesnt seem worth it for a 5-10% increase in fps )

750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

( May SLI in future but not a neccesity )

Monitor: eather take the samsun 23inch from my current build or get a 27inch )

Again any advice regarding both questions is welcome, sorry for the long post

malbluff

Honorable
RAM should be DDR2, for mobo.
Whilst upgrading CPU may give benefits in other areas, I don't see it giving any real benefit in terms of gaming frame rates. You will still be limited by gfx. Changing that, to GTX 560Ti, as well, should, in theory, give you reasonable performance in, say, BF3, with current monitor. I'm not sure, though, whether you might then find mobo/RAM is limiting things a bit.
If there are no actual issues, with current CPU, one possible option would be to upgrade gfx, first, and then "see where you are".
To be honest, if you are planning a new build, in a few months, I'm not really convinced of the benefits of a "slightly dubious" upgrade now, but that's, obviously, your personal choice.
Regarding new build, apart from a few tweaks, fine. If you are going to get a high res 27" monitor, it may be worth considering a few different options.