Ram question?

So im thinking of building a pc and i wanna buy some gskill sniper ram and theres 2 types 1600 mhz speed and 1866 mhz speed So can anyone tell me if there is a difference in games? :heink:
9 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. If they both cost the same get the faster ram. Where you'll see the difference is when you overlock as the faster ram will be more stable. As to whether it will have a direct affect on games by itself, no it won't.
  2. no difference in games

    just in price

    1600mhz is ideal
  3. pauls3743 said:
    If they both cost the same get the faster ram. Where you'll see the difference is when you overlock as the faster ram will be more stable. As to whether it will have a direct affect on games by itself, no it won't.

    The cost difference is about 3 euros well i do plan on overclocking the cpu so is it worth it?
  4. if its only 3 euros more get the 1866mhz

    which cpu are you using?
  5. mcnumpty23 said:
    if its only 3 euros more get the 1866mhz

    which cpu are you using?

    Phenom 2 x6 1045t
  6. then the higher speed ram is a better bet for only 3 euros more

    if it was an intel cpu then it wouldnt really matter as the cpu overclocks seperately from the ram
  7. unless you can get lower latencies from the faster ram when running at 1600 you may as well just get the stock 1600 other wise you will see no real world difference.
  8. mcnumpty23 said:
    then the higher speed ram is a better bet for only 3 euros more

    if it was an intel cpu then it wouldnt really matter as the cpu overclocks seperately from the ram

    Well thanks its been a great help!
  9. thats actually no help at all.
    the i5 memory managment unit is limited to 1600mhz so any ram faster than that will give no benefit at all unless it can run at 1600 mhz with lower latencies than standard 1600mhz ram.
    yeah its only 3eu for the faster ram but if it doesnt bring anything to the table its 3 eu wasted.

    DDR3-2000 C8: 8.00ns/11.50ns
    DDR3-2133 C9: 8.44ns/11.72ns
    DDR3-2133 C10: 9.38ns/12.66ns
    DDR3-2400 C10: 8.33ns/11.25ns
    DDR3-2400 C11: 9.17ns/12.08ns
    DDR3-2600 C10: 7.69ns/10.38ns
    DDR3-2600 C11: 8.46ns/11.15ns
    DDR3-2666 C10: 7.50ns/10.13ns
    DDR3-2666 C11: 8.25ns/10.88ns
    DDR3-2800 C11: 7.86ns/10.36ns
    DDR3-2800 C12: 8.57ns/11.07ns
    look at this table the fist colum is speed the second read and third write...
    you will notice that even though the last set of ram is a full 800mhz faster in real world performance the ram is actually no faster. reason being the ram is limited by the cpus memory management controller not the actual ram speed.
    the only time you would see any difference is in measured bandwidth on bench marks but this has virtually zero impact on real world performance unless its particularly slow ram.

    feel free to ignore this and waste money if you want. im just giving you the best information i have as i see it.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Games Components