Solved

Computer freezes while gaming--loud buzzing sound

Hello fellow members of Tom's Hardware,

I have read many other posts relating to this problem, but none match mine exactly. I semi-recently built my first computer about 5 months ago and some minor problems followed. I managed to fix them, but one still persists. When I am playing more demanding games such as Guild Wars 2 and even Smite now, my computer screen freezes completely with a loud buzzing sound coming through the speakers. I have tried many things, even replacing my PSU and CPU, but the problem still persists. I have updated my video/audio drivers so I'm fairly sure that isn't the problem. After reading some posts, I am inclined to think that its a motherboard related problem, but I'm not sure. I have also switched around the memory sticks and ran Memtest without erros. When I run FurMark (graphical demanding program) it proceeds to freeze after about 10 minutes. The computer also doesn't freeze when I play League of Legends (less demanding game) but when I try to stream LoL, it freezes shortly after.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
GFX: EVGA 01G-P3-1560-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
PSU: CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Reply to emiltmarz
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer freezes gaming loud buzzing sound
  1. Quote:
    When I run FurMark (graphical demanding program) it proceeds to freeze after about 10 minutes.
    I'd suspect the video card more than the motherboard.
    Reply to GhislainG
  2. Had a similar problem last week and it was the ram.Even memtest64 found no problems.
    My crashes occured as soon as I tried prime 95 blend test.
    Try it,if it freezes the ram as problems.
    Reply to blacknemesist
  3. I've been running prime95 blend test with no freezing so far.
    Reply to emiltmarz
  4. emiltmarz said:
    I've been running prime95 blend test with no freezing so far.
    Prime95 tests the memory and CPU, but your system freezes when the video card is working hard. Replace it and your issue should be resolved.
    Reply to GhislainG
  5. My bet is your GPU is getting hot - use MSI Afterburner to monitor temps & change your fan profile. My GTX460 did very similar things in my old case when cooling was an issue.
    -Bruce
    Reply to dish_moose
  6. Best answer
    Okay so it sounds like its a video card related issue, I'll run MSI Afterburner. Do you recommend a certain fan profile?
    Reply to emiltmarz
  7. Just move the line on the graph so that the fan comes on sooner and ramps up faster.
    -Bruce
    Reply to dish_moose
  8. Alright I made the fan come on sooner and I was able to play Guild Wars for over an hour when the computer froze.
    Reply to emiltmarz
  9. Yes, This is an overheating issue. I had this not too long ago with a Geforce 210 (Good god, right?)

I had to underclock the card for a while just to get the crashing to stop. I recommend you ether put a new batch of thermal paste on the card, or replace the thing entirely if it fails still.
    Reply to akumati
  10. Sounds like that could be it, I have been monitoring the GPU temp and it hovers around 65-70 degrees Celsius when the fan speed is at 70%. It hasn't frozen yet with the fan speed up this high but time will tell I suppose.

EDIT: Just tried streaming the game, computer froze only after about 10 minutes. Also, the GPU fan was only at 57%, therefore the temp couldn't of been much over 60 degrees Celsius. I'm not so sure if this problem is directly heat related..
    Reply to emiltmarz
  11. blacknemesist said:
    Had a similar problem last week and it was the ram.Even memtest64 found no problems.
    My crashes occured as soon as I tried prime 95 blend test.
    Try it,if it freezes the ram as problems.

I have the same problem. My computer screen always freezes when i play games and there is a loud buzzing sound from my speakers. When i ran Prime95 my computer crashed almost immediately, so i guess it's the RAM in my case? What can i do to fix it? I don't know a thing about computers!
    Reply to Xcory
  12. Did you test it using Memtest86+?
    Reply to GhislainG
  13. I am having this exact same issue with an nVidia GeForce GTX 560ti and I am reasonably sure its not heat related. I literally can test it quite easily as in one game when I enter the water it instantly starts freezing twice as much and the sound goes bonkers.

If I take my headset or speakers out while not freezing, and go into the water I get no freezing at all and it runs a charm. I have tried almost everything I can do to effect the sound already.

Though my card has HDAudio and I have tried fiddling with those settings, and disabling it etc. in the BIOS or Device Manager and am still having no luck. In my case I am 100% certain this is not an overheating problem. I have still found no solution and it makes gaming competitively relatively impossible for me at present.

I don't know much about PC's but have both over and under clocked everything on my PC and tweaked all my BIOS settings one by one and tested and now have superb performance, except only without sound.

I MUST find the solution to this problem, it is driving me absolutely mental.

My Specs are:

AMD FX Eight Core 8120 3.1ghz
    8G DDR3 GSkills dual ram
    ASUS AMD M5a78L-M LX V2 mobo (onboard realtek sound)
    Palit nVidia GeForce GTX 560 ti 1G GDDR5
    500W corsair PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Turtlebeach Earforce PLA Headset/Mic (USB connection)
    Logitech subwoofer & speakers (minijack connection)

Please someone help! If I work out how to sort my sound out I will come back and try to share the knowledge, but for the meantime, I am tweaking some more.
    Reply to Keith Gordon
  14. My GTX460s gave me grief until I added a fan on the side of my case and changed the fan profile in Afterburner.. Rarely have problems now.
    -Bruce
    Reply to dish_moose
  15. It usually happens when u overclock your video card. Also when the temperature exceeds 60 degrees centigrade it might freeze, i encountered this on gtx 680, i had overclocked it to max, i reduced it to normal using msi afternurner, and things are normal now.
    Reply to Dhruv kumar
  16. I'm having the same problem. I have this issue with my 770 and I'm not oc'ing.
    Reply to kidelroy
  17. i have had this with 2 different amd 290 oc cards sapphire and gigabyte on my machine pc works fine when using normal on board vga could be the pci express slot on the motherboard happens after 45 mins t 60 mins gaming or video
    my old msi 7950 failed in the same mother board and psu failed but uprated case psu and system coking

WINDOWS 8.1
    ANTEC P280 5 FANS +ANTEC VGA COOLER AND CHIPSET COOLER
    FX8150@OC4.2GHZ WATER COOLED
    AMD MSI 890 GX MB
    8GB CORSAIR XMS 3
    AMD SAPHIRE 290 TRI X 4GB
    CORSAIR TX 850 PSU

AMD 14.3
    Reply to gwales13
  18. I just got my brand new gaming rig and it gives me problem on the first day.

Games crash about 30 mins of gameplay. The game will automatically close and go to windows/desktop screen. The games that I am playing is Advance Warfare, Metro Last Light Redux and Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition. I even lowered the video setting from ultra to normal, and it still crashes.

My rig info:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
    MOBO: Asrock Fatility Z97 Killer
    RAM: Avexir Blitz 1.1 Green 2x4GB DDR3 2400mhz
    Casing: NZXT H440 Razer Edition
    HDD: WD 1 TB Caviar Blue HDD
    SSD: PLEXTOR M6S 128GB
    GPU: Leadtek GTX970 DDR5 4GB
    PSU: Seasonic S12 620w
    Cooler: CM NEPTON 240

I have done the clean graphic driver uninstaller using DDU and reinstalled 3 different drivers and changed the CPU.

The best part is there was no crash when I tested at the PC shop (the one I bought this PC from) and it crashes at my house.

Today, I have changed to PSU from Seasonic S12 620w to Cooler Master V750.
    1st gameplay about 35 mins, my pc auto restart.
    2nd gameplay about 20 mins, loud buzzing sounds from speaker and screen freeze
    3rd gameplay about 15mins, screen freeze
    4th gameplay about 15 mins, no sound but I still can play the game.

I've ran Prime95 Blend Test and these are he results:
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4995117188, expected less than 0.4
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4998779297, expected less than 0.4
    FATAL ERROR: Final result was 47C4E63A, expected: 8437BC4D.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4998550415, expected less than 0.4
    [Tue Dec 23 09:49:53 2014]
    Self-test 448K passed!

I do not overclock at all.
    Reply to Stanley Loke
  19. Stanley Loke you shouldn't hijack another thread; you should create your own. Did you at least run Memtest86+ for several hours to make sure the memory isn't causing issues? You're changing parts, but you don't explain the reason why you did. A CPU very rarely is defective and your new PSU probably is of lower quality than the Seasonic. If running Prime95 28.5, check your CPU temperatures to make sure they're OK.
    Reply to GhislainG
  20. Sorry for hijacking this thread :)
    Ive ran Memtest86, and the results were normal.
    Since the PC shop's owner doesn't know what went wrong, he's trying to get it sorted out by replacing the possible parts that causing this problem. The owner of the PC shop claimed that this new PSU is better than Seasonic.
    And I mentioned that the tests were normal at the PC Shop, and it seems I got the crash at my home.
    Reply to Stanley Loke
  21. I'm getting this same issue with an R9 280 and M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo. First 30 minutes of playing Far Cry 4 and Sleeping Dogs it froze the computer up completely and made a loud buzzing noise. I've updated everything on my computer (windows updates, drivers, etc.) and also made a few tweaks in the registry to make games run a little smoother. Also changed the Catalyst video settings to run at "high performance" under anti-aliasing. I didn't see an option for power consumption though (like NVIDIA has). Nothing is overclocked (AMD FX 6300 is the CPU). I ran it through Prime95 and FurMark (at the same time) for two hours and it was running beautifully. It only happens when I play an actual game? Very strange. I'll update with any solutions I find, help is appreciated!
    Reply to biscuitskillet
  22. I had the exact same issue. The problem was the ram needed more volts. I'm using 4 x 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X. I upped the volts to 1.55v from 1.50v.
    Reply to GavinHolder
  23. GavinHolder said:
    I had the exact same issue. The problem was the ram needed more volts. I'm using 4 x 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X. I upped the volts to 1.55v from 1.50v.

Hey can u please tell me how did u increase ur volts to 1.55? I have the exact same issue. My board is b75m d3h n ram is 2x4gb gskill ripjawsx. Gpu is gtx 670 n proccy is i3 3220
    Reply to Andriyas Silas
  24. Andriyas Silas said:
    GavinHolder said:
    I had the exact same issue. The problem was the ram needed more volts. I'm using 4 x 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X. I upped the volts to 1.55v from 1.50v.

Hey can u please tell me how did u increase ur volts to 1.55? I have the exact same issue. My board is b75m d3h n ram is 2x4gb gskill ripjawsx. Gpu is gtx 670 n proccy is i3 3220

Hi sorry I have only just logged back into TH. I upped the V in the BIOS. Have a look through your MOBO instruction manual and it should give you instructions on how to manually control the voltage.
    Reply to GavinHolder
  25. im having this issue, have u got it solved ???
    Reply to joe_201
  26. I have also this issue. My build:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-K
    CPU: i7 6700k
    Memory: Corsair DD4 16GB 2400MHz
    Hard Drive: Samsung NVME sm951
    Video Card: MSI 980GTX
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

I have newest nvidia drivers/ all drivers, windows 10 (before anniversary update). I have read some similar topics and, the problem could be in grafic. When I playing and streaming sometimes happen that PC freeze with sound loop (sometimes after 1-2 hours, sometimes after 4-5 hours, sometimes not...). My CPU temperature around 45°C in max load and GPU 50 (+-2) max.
    Reply to filipack
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Computers Components