Computer freezes while gaming--loud buzzing sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiltmarz

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Hello fellow members of Tom's Hardware,

I have read many other posts relating to this problem, but none match mine exactly. I semi-recently built my first computer about 5 months ago and some minor problems followed. I managed to fix them, but one still persists. When I am playing more demanding games such as Guild Wars 2 and even Smite now, my computer screen freezes completely with a loud buzzing sound coming through the speakers. I have tried many things, even replacing my PSU and CPU, but the problem still persists. I have updated my video/audio drivers so I'm fairly sure that isn't the problem. After reading some posts, I am inclined to think that its a motherboard related problem, but I'm not sure. I have also switched around the memory sticks and ran Memtest without erros. When I run FurMark (graphical demanding program) it proceeds to freeze after about 10 minutes. The computer also doesn't freeze when I play League of Legends (less demanding game) but when I try to stream LoL, it freezes shortly after.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
GFX: EVGA 01G-P3-1560-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
PSU: CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

akumati

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Yes, This is an overheating issue. I had this not too long ago with a Geforce 210 (Good god, right?)

I had to underclock the card for a while just to get the crashing to stop. I recommend you ether put a new batch of thermal paste on the card, or replace the thing entirely if it fails still.

emiltmarz

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Sounds like that could be it, I have been monitoring the GPU temp and it hovers around 65-70 degrees Celsius when the fan speed is at 70%. It hasn't frozen yet with the fan speed up this high but time will tell I suppose.

EDIT: Just tried streaming the game, computer froze only after about 10 minutes. Also, the GPU fan was only at 57%, therefore the temp couldn't of been much over 60 degrees Celsius. I'm not so sure if this problem is directly heat related..

Xcory

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

I have the same problem. My computer screen always freezes when i play games and there is a loud buzzing sound from my speakers. When i ran Prime95 my computer crashed almost immediately, so i guess it's the RAM in my case? What can i do to fix it? I don't know a thing about computers!

Keith Gordon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I am having this exact same issue with an nVidia GeForce GTX 560ti and I am reasonably sure its not heat related. I literally can test it quite easily as in one game when I enter the water it instantly starts freezing twice as much and the sound goes bonkers.

If I take my headset or speakers out while not freezing, and go into the water I get no freezing at all and it runs a charm. I have tried almost everything I can do to effect the sound already.

Though my card has HDAudio and I have tried fiddling with those settings, and disabling it etc. in the BIOS or Device Manager and am still having no luck. In my case I am 100% certain this is not an overheating problem. I have still found no solution and it makes gaming competitively relatively impossible for me at present.

I don't know much about PC's but have both over and under clocked everything on my PC and tweaked all my BIOS settings one by one and tested and now have superb performance, except only without sound.

I MUST find the solution to this problem, it is driving me absolutely mental.

My Specs are:

AMD FX Eight Core 8120 3.1ghz
8G DDR3 GSkills dual ram
ASUS AMD M5a78L-M LX V2 mobo (onboard realtek sound)
Palit nVidia GeForce GTX 560 ti 1G GDDR5
500W corsair PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Turtlebeach Earforce PLA Headset/Mic (USB connection)
Logitech subwoofer & speakers (minijack connection)

Please someone help! If I work out how to sort my sound out I will come back and try to share the knowledge, but for the meantime, I am tweaking some more.

Dhruv kumar

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
It usually happens when u overclock your video card. Also when the temperature exceeds 60 degrees centigrade it might freeze, i encountered this on gtx 680, i had overclocked it to max, i reduced it to normal using msi afternurner, and things are normal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.