Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I get a 560ti or chill for the 660?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2012 12:47:44 AM

As a CO of a Air Cavalry Platoon for the game Planetside 2 (link) and finding out yesterday from a Comrade Clan CO that apparently the Beta's due to hit tomorrow I'm gonna need a Video Card that can actually run the game (I'm on a 8800GT at the moment). And I was really hoping for a 660 but upon investigation found that they are not out yet? Anyone know of a rough ETA for them?

Or should I perhaps say smeg it and get a 560ti on tuesday instead or maybe save up for another couple weeks and get a 670?

I'm sort of thinking that the 670 could be a bit of overkill as the CPU I'm running is a AMD 9950 and it'd probably bottleneck. And also that the 560ti could be a good videocard to use as a dedicated PPU when next I make a new build (probably a year or so when I can afford it(gonna go without beer for a couple weeks to get this as it is)). I normally only look up hardware when I'm thinking of making a purchase as there's normally new stuff before ya get out the shop so would appreciate some Veteran Tech Enthusiast advice.

More about : 560ti chill 660

Best solution

July 11, 2012 1:04:22 AM

Funkosapien said:
As a CO of a Air Cavalry Platoon for the game Planetside 2 (link) and finding out yesterday from a Comrade Clan CO that apparently the Beta's due to hit tomorrow I'm gonna need a Video Card that can actually run the game (I'm on a 8800GT at the moment). And I was really hoping for a 660 but upon investigation found that they are not out yet? Anyone know of a rough ETA for them?

Or should I perhaps say smeg it and get a 560ti on tuesday instead or maybe save up for another couple weeks and get a 670?

I'm sort of thinking that the 670 could be a bit of overkill as the CPU I'm running is a AMD 9950 and it'd probably bottleneck. And also that the 560ti could be a good videocard to use as a dedicated PPU when next I make a new build (probably a year or so when I can afford it(gonna go without beer for a couple weeks to get this as it is)). I normally only look up hardware when I'm thinking of making a purchase as there's normally new stuff before ya get out the shop so would appreciate some Veteran Tech Enthusiast advice.

Your cpu would bottleneck a 560ti, but when overclocked it should do ok as long as games aren't cpu intensive!

I'm guessing the Gtx 660 should be out soon and probably would be equal to a Gtx 580 but without eating up all that power.
July 11, 2012 1:29:38 AM

CPU intensive? 2000 player FPS on a 60 square K map. Yeah it'll be CPU intensive. But I'm hoping it'll do for now at least. Maybe I will have to overclock it. Time to whip out that 1500w power supply I've had sitting around for a while now and put a dozen fans or a water cooling block on it or something. Was only a Ritmo but a impulse buy so may as well get some use out of it (was before I'd done a bit of research on PSU's).
Related resources
July 11, 2012 1:40:17 AM

Best answer selected by Funkosapien.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 11, 2012 1:41:33 AM

after flying around the web doing some RECON for you, mr.CO, sir. it doesn't appear the logistical support needed is too far advanced and would recommend acquiring more intelligence prior to committing further resources.
July 11, 2012 2:19:34 AM

Didn't expect someone to actually do research mate, was something I figured any tech fiend would probably already know. Didn't want someone to go outta their way to find out.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 11, 2012 3:10:44 AM

no worries, though game-debate is down for maintenance, is does loo like any good midrange card could handle it (550ti - 7850). though an nvidia card for the physX.

though you may want to address that cpu with the price difference from not having to get a 660.
July 11, 2012 3:23:14 AM

Yeah but if I did that I'd need to get a new MOBO as well and I'm fairly broke at the moment. Got many other expenses I need to worry about. If I didn't have 20 guys counting on me I'd not be getting the videocard next week as it is, wasn't expecting the Beta for a while yet.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 11, 2012 3:28:47 AM

check the compatibility of that board . .you never know what surprise you might have. a cpu and 550ti or 460 could run less than the cost of a GTX 660 for sure.
July 11, 2012 3:35:58 AM

From Asus Site
Quote:
AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Phenom™ FX/Phenom™/Athlon™ /Sempron™ Processors
AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
Support CPU up to 125W
Support 45nm Phenom™ II CPU

It's fairly old man. Probably not much of a point in upgrading it. I'll probably leave it for a few months before I upgrade MOBO/CPU.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 11, 2012 3:44:34 AM

Funkosapien said:
From Asus Site
Quote:
AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Phenom™ FX/Phenom™/Athlon™ /Sempron™ Processors
AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
Support CPU up to 125W
Support 45nm Phenom™ II CPU

It's fairly old man. Probably not much of a point in upgrading it. I'll probably leave it for a few months before I upgrade MOBO/CPU.

just an FYI:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W $109.99
MSI GeForce GTX 560 810MHZ 1GB 4GHZ GDDR5 $164.98
After Mail In Rebate: $144.98

and you'll be ruling the skies again . . .
July 11, 2012 4:53:21 AM

hmm that CPU does look interesting. One I'm on now is a 2.6 or something. I'll favorite that and probably get it at one of my local shops. Like to get things locally when I'm able. I'll do the maths on how much a brand new Mobo n CPU is though as this one really badly needs some more room so I can fit in my ol Audigy 4 sound card. And nar I don't reckon I'll go any lower than a 560ti. Been wanting to get one of them for a while now.

Actually Air Cavalry is slightly different than that. (definition link)
a c 168 Î Nvidia
July 11, 2012 6:22:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!