BSOD on new custom PC when gaming

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hello,

I recently finished building a PC for my girlfriend, mostly for gaming and internet browsing. Here are the specs:

Mobo: Asus f1a55 M LX Plus
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 631
RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1333mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850
HDD: 500GB WD 5400rpm
PSU: CiT 500w

The are two error messages for the BSODs: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. These only occur when gaming.

I have reinstalled Windows and reinstalled all drivers. I have looked around online but any advice surrounding BSODs seems to be very vague.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Check your bios for memory settings. Make sure the speed, timings and voltage are set to what the sticker on the memory says.

If that's all good then run memtest86, if no errors I would suspect that generic power supply.

You should have come here for advice before you built, nobody would have recommended a socket FM1 and Athlon II, there are much better, faster, more upgradable choices for less money.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
No. My plan was to run Memtest anyway and I had already started it by the time i saw your reply. Stupidly, it didn't cross my mind to verify the memory settings were correct first. Memtest has passed twice now though so maybe I should leave it then and make sure all the Bios settings are correct.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Ran Memtest for 3 passes. No errors. Checked Ram timings/settings in BIOS and everything was fine. Ran Prime95 blend test when I booted back into windows crashed within 5 minutes. :(

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Ran Memtest for another 5 passes, whilst I was out. No errors again. Should also note that I can run Furmark without any issues and when I ran Prime95 it didn't crash when I ran Small FFT's. So i guess maybe its the power supply? :( I knew I shouldn;t have skimped on it.