Questions about nuking my HD

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
I wanna wipe my HD clean and start with a fresh install of Win XP and I've got a few questions.

1. Should I format with NTFS or Fat32? What are the advantages of each?

2. I have the upgrade version of XP, do I need to install another version of Windows first or will it let me just insert the previous version's CD for confirmation sake and then continue the install?

3. Will I be able to re-activate XP after I'm done or will it see be seen as pirated software even though it's not?

Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
1. Should I format with NTFS or Fat32? What are the advantages of each?
Unless you run only very old DOS programs, I don't believe there's any purpose at all with FAT32.
NTFS is better in all ways if I'm enough well-informed. It offers support for bigger harddrives, it's faster, it's more secure, and lots more. My strong suggestion is you go with NTFS, exclusively. I'd want no trace of FAT32 at my hard drive.

2. I have the upgrade version of XP, do I need to install another version of Windows first or will it let me just insert the previous version's CD for confirmation sake and then continue the install?
Yes, you will have to first install the version of Windows that you're upgrading from, and after that, you can install Windows XP.

3. Will I be able to re-activate XP after I'm done or will it see be seen as pirated software even though it's not?
Your CD will definitely NOT be seen as pirated software. Not in any case at all.
All you will have to do is to try to activate Windows via the internet. If that doesn't work, you can call Microsoft at a completely free number, and tell them the code that's displayed on the screen. After you've done that, they'll tell you the code you should put in and where you should put it. Just follow the instruction and you should be done! I've re-activated via phone probably up to 8 times, so I know it'll work. Just as long as you have a legitimate OEM/Upgrade or Retail copy of Win XP Home or Professional.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro / Antec TruePower 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
SamsungDVD / Lite-On CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sabbath1 on 07/17/03 06:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
When you wipe your HD, you might want to use a utility disk from the manufacturer and do a Zero-Fill format. WHat this does is write your HD with Zeros, completly erasing all partitions and data, as well as formating the boot sector.

You would only need to format with FAT32 if you have more than one computer, and the other machine has WIN98, 98SE, or ME. These OS don't support NTFS. If you want to do file sharing, you'll need FAT32. If this is the case, partition part of the drive NTFS and part FAT32, and install XP on the NTFS partition.

Other than that, NTFS all the way... :smile:

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:
**Finally made Newbie...HAPPY DANCE..HAPPY DANCE..**

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if your hard drive is less than 22gb fat32...if it is bigger than 22gb ntfs. I personally perfer fat32 b/c it has dos support...but then again...thats just me.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
if your hard drive is less than 22gb fat32...if it is bigger than 22gb ntfs.

Not sure what you mean here.

I personally perfer fat32 b/c it has dos support...but then again...thats just me.

Hence why I mentioned DOS in my reply :wink:
Actually practically all my old dos games and programs work in WinXP with NTFS, so I just don't see any purpose with FAT32, at least not for myself.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro / Antec TruePower 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
SamsungDVD / Lite-On CDRW

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Thank's sabbath1.

Yes, you will have to first install the version of Windows that you're upgrading from, and after that, you can install Windows XP.
Years ago, I was installing Win95 with an upgrade version on a friends computer. In this case it ask me to insert the disk for a previous version of windows for confirmation. It did not install that version, just continued the 95 install. Too bad things have changed. That will making the install twice as long.

Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Hey, try to install your Win XP upgrade first before anything else, and see what happens. Maybe I was wrong, if my memory serves me, you have to install your older Windows first, but maybe I remember it all wrong. Try your upgrade CD first and see what happens.

Laxman12786

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Yeah, try the XP upgrade first. I'm 99% sure that I installed the upgrade version on a computer I built for a guy a about a year ago, without installing another version first. I believe it just says something like "Setup failed to find an upgradable product. Please input the registration code of a previous version to continue." I could be wrong, but I don't think so.......

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
In reply to:

if your hard drive is less than 22gb fat32...if it is bigger than 22gb ntfs.

Not sure what you mean here.
You get no benifit (speed wise) from upgrading to ntfs from fat32 if your hard drive is less than 22gb...so IMO if ya got a small hard drive go for fat32. Its not like many home users actually use any of the features that NTFS has to offer.

Sir_Lovesalot

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
FAT32 is usually faster than NTFS, but NTFS is more secure and support larger drives.

If you´re planing to share with other people who are using FAT32 systems, you´ll also need FAT32 to let them see your files. FAT32 drives cannot read NTFS.

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
So here's what happened. I booted up on the XP CD and it was able to see I already had a copy of XP installed. From there it let me repartition my drive and format with NTFS. So in the end, I was able to completely nuke my drive and install a clean version of XP using the upgrade version. That was fun! :smile:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
like i said earlier fat32 is only faster on smaller drives...NTFS starts to reallt shine when hard drives start getting BIG...i do agree that NTFS is more secure however.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I installed XP upgrade without fully installing 98 - Upgrade XP will, at a point, stop and ask you to insert the older OS CD (just to verify that you qualify to upgrade - M$ police!), then you'll be told to remove the old CD, reinsert the XP CD and go.

I've been told it's actually worse to fully install an older OS prior to XP.

Any comments, anyone (PM Toejam31)?

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it can cause software incompatabilities...for example...going from 98/me to xp/2000 can cause nightmares if you have norton anti-virus installed.

I think a fresh install is your best bet

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
with big hard drives you will want ntfs...it is faster than fat32 (in regaurds to large drives) in fact as the size of a fat32 hard drive increases so does the inneficiency of its file system...

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Glad to hear it all worked without a hitch :smile:

I finally was able to activate my license today, after several server problems on Microsofts behalf. Every time I want to reactivate Windows, I have to first use my telephone to type in the numbers, and after that, they'll tell me that my code could not be activated. I'll always have to activate Windows at the live helpdesk. Thus I wonder why it's a must to type down the numbers first, when it never can be verified anyways. Stupid idea, hope they remove it soon.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
FAT32 is usually faster than NTFS, but NTFS is more secure and support larger drives.

FAT32 faster? That's not what I've been told...where did you read that? Even if that's true, the difference is minimal at best. NTFS sure offers far more other benefits than what FAT32 can offer.

If you´re planing to share with other people who are using FAT32 systems, you´ll also need FAT32 to let them see your files. FAT32 drives cannot read NTFS.

That's probably true I guess, I don't have a clue so I can't agree nor disagree. But, it's the easiest thing in the world for everyone to format to NTFS file system, thus that can't in my mind, be a "selling" factor for FAT32.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
You get no benifit (speed wise) from upgrading to ntfs from fat32 if your hard drive is less than 22gb

Nah, but you get NTFS stability and security, amongs any things.

Its not like many home users actually use any of the features that NTFS has to offer.

I certainly do. I need the extra stability, and disk size offered by NTFS. But that's my needs.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
maybe you do...but IMO having dos support is very valuable...especially if you are a heavy windows tweaker...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I don't even know why people claim NTFS don't support DOS? I can run almost all old DOS games and programs at my system. So to me, FAT32 is a joke of the past.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
. But, it's the easiest thing in the world for everyone to format to NTFS file system
Not if one or more PCs on your home network are running Win98SE.... then it's another fistful of $$$ to get upgrades to 2000/XP. Just a small point that seems to have been overlooked here. :smile:

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Maybe. But those companies and home networks get more benefits from upgrading from that buggier old OS. Sure it costs money, but it could be worth it in the end, depending on what needs you have. To me, Win XP and NTFS is all there is.