Question about "Royale" theme

I just downloaded and applied the "Royale" theme for Windows XP. There is one
problem I noticed with it, though. At the top of some windows under the the
blue bar with the close/min/max buttons, there is a bar with File, Edit,
View, Insert etc. A white box appears under each of those words and it is
annoying. This doesn't happen in Internet Explorer, but it happens in
programs such as Notepad and Wordpad. How do I remove this white box?
3 answers Last reply
More about question royale theme

    "BCampbell8325" <BCampbell8325@adelphia.net.(donotspam).> wrote in
    message news:947A4E19-5523-4A94-B814-8805F8F059EF@microsoft.com...
    >I just downloaded and applied the "Royale" theme for Windows XP. There
    >is one
    > problem I noticed with it, though. At the top of some windows under
    > the the
    > blue bar with the close/min/max buttons, there is a bar with File,
    > Edit,
    > View, Insert etc. A white box appears under each of those words and it
    > is
    > annoying. This doesn't happen in Internet Explorer, but it happens in
    > programs such as Notepad and Wordpad. How do I remove this white box?

    Display properties>Appearance>Advance>In the Item drop down box select
    "Menu">change the white color to the lightest shade of grey you see (in
    the bottom left corner).

    This did the trick for me.

    --
    William

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "BCampbell8325" <BCampbell8325@adelphia.net.(donotspam).> wrote in
    > message news:947A4E19-5523-4A94-B814-8805F8F059EF@microsoft.com...
    >>I just downloaded and applied the "Royale" theme for Windows XP. There
    >>is one
    >> problem I noticed with it, though. At the top of some windows under
    >> the the
    >> blue bar with the close/min/max buttons, there is a bar with File,
    >> Edit,
    >> View, Insert etc. A white box appears under each of those words and
    >> it is
    >> annoying. This doesn't happen in Internet Explorer, but it happens in
    >> programs such as Notepad and Wordpad. How do I remove this white box?
    >

    > Display properties>Appearance>Advance>In the Item drop down box select
    > "Menu">change the white color to the lightest shade of grey you see
    > (in the bottom left corner).
    >
    > This did the trick for me.

    I failed to mention, when changing the menu color, you are changing all
    your context menus as well.

    --
    William

    There is a bit in the registry that needs to be set. Save the following text as a file with a .vbs (VBScript) extension, then execute the script.

    'Toggle the Flat Menus bit

    Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Upm = "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask"

    dim MenuState

    MenuState = Array ("Off", "On")

    MaskBytes = WSHShell.RegRead (Upm)

    FlatMenuOn = (MaskBytes(2) and &H02) \ 2

    Message2 = "Flat Menus are currently turned " & MenuState(FlatMenuOn) & "." & vbCR &vbCR
    Message2 = Message2 & "Running this script will turn them " & MenuState(Abs((FlatMenuOn - 1))) & "." & vbCR & vbCR
    Message2 = Message2 & "('On' is the 'correct' setting for XP style display)" & vbCR & vbCR
    Message2 = Message2 & "Continue?"

    X = MsgBox(Message2, vbYesNo, "Toggle Flat-Menu Setting")

    If X = 6 Then

    MaskBytes(2) = CByte(MaskBytes(2) Xor &H02)

    MaskStr = ""
    for each MaskByte in MaskBytes
    strByte = right( "00" & hex(MaskByte), 2 )
    MaskStr = strByte & MaskStr
    next

    WSHShell.RegWrite Upm, CLng("&H" & MaskStr), "REG_BINARY"

    MsgBox "You must logoff/logon for changes to take effect." & vbcr & vbcr, 4096, "Action Completed"

    Else

    MsgBox "No changes were made to your system." & vbcr & vbcr, 4096, "Action Cancelled"

    End If

    Keith

    "BCampbell8325" <BCampbell8325@adelphia.net.(donotspam).> wrote in message news:947A4E19-5523-4A94-B814-8805F8F059EF@microsoft.com...
    > I just downloaded and applied the "Royale" theme for Windows XP. There is one
    > problem I noticed with it, though. At the top of some windows under the the
    > blue bar with the close/min/max buttons, there is a bar with File, Edit,
    > View, Insert etc. A white box appears under each of those words and it is
    > annoying. This doesn't happen in Internet Explorer, but it happens in
    > programs such as Notepad and Wordpad. How do I remove this white box?

Configuration Customization Windows XP