new computer setup troubles

Jason555

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I posted this here just because I am not sure where else to put it. I am making a new computer from scratch. I got everything together. I made a partition, formated the hard drive, and now I am trying to install windows. I start computer with CD rom support but evertime I type in E:\setup which should start up the install program it gives me this error message: CDR101: NOT READY READING DRIVE E anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
if you are doing clean install you should put in a bootable windows cd, and set in BIOS to boot from cd-rom. you can't install from cd-rom if you are not using any bootable disk to boot up the system.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like your CD may be bad... I've had a number of CDROM drives go bad over the years. First check your IDE cable (red stripe to pin 1) and master/slave jumpers to make sure you've got the drive hooked up correctly, and I know it sounds silly, but be sure you have the power connector hooked up to the CD drive (yes... I've left it off before!) If it still doesn't work, swap out the CD drive with a known good one and see if that's it.

Good luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Try to make sure that the hard drive and optical drive are on different IDE channels (one on primary and other on secondary). Flash the CMOS would be good too. It would be easier to you had a OS disk that was bootable.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen this caused by scratched CD's, but more often I think by CD-ROMs with extremely long spinnup times.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Jason555

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
thanks for the responses. turns out I got a dud CD rom. I replaced the CD rom with an old one I had sitting around it worked fine. I talked with newegg (the place I bought it) and I am going to send it back for a new one. so I just have to sit tight with my old 16x for a while.